cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about apping for CSP... thoughts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thinking about apping for CSP... thoughts?

I'm going to be getting both a CSP and Sallie Mae, as my current cards don't maximize my rewards based on my spending patterns.

-730 mid fico (mortgage lender pull)

-2 years AAoA (oldest account 8 years)

-5 or 6 inquiries in last two years depending on bureau

-highest CL is $10k

-just refinanced my house this month

-18 total tradelines including closed accounts

-no Chase cards/accounts

-no derogs or lates ever

1. Think I will be approved for CSP?

2. Would you app CSP before SM (assuming SM will be easier to get, so Barclays wouldn't mind another new account and inquiry whereas Chase might for the CSP)?

3. Which bureau does Chase pull for CSP in California?

4. Any other suggestions?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thinking about apping for CSP... thoughts?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm going to be getting both a CSP and Sallie Mae, as my current cards don't maximize my rewards based on my spending patterns.

-highest CL is $10k

-no Chase cards/accounts

-no derogs or lates ever

2. Would you app CSP before SM (assuming SM will be easier to get, so Barclays wouldn't mind another new account and inquiry whereas Chase might for the CSP)?

#1. Yes

#2. Barclays is more inq sensitive than Chase. That said, I would apply first for the card you want more

#3. Check credit pulls database. 

#4. Get a Freedom also if you don't have one. Pairs well with CSP.

Message 2 of 10
nhl1508
Established Member

I am in CA also. I think you should be able to get both of them {Mod cut. That is not allowed to be discussed} It might not matter much though because I am pretty sure Barclay will pull Transunion and Chase will pull EX and EQ. I was able to get CSP, Southwest, Barclay Arrival and Club Carlson at about the same time.

After you get your CSP you should consider to app for the freedom and Ink Plus (if possible). All 3 cards works great together.

AAoA 2 years back to the garden...
Amex PRG NPSL | Chase Southwest $9K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11.2K | Chase IHG $5K | Freedom $6.5K | Club Carlson 9K | Barclay Arrival 4K | Barclays Aviator Red 13.5K | Citi Premier 5K | Citi AAdvantage 4.8K | Discover It $6.5K | Cap1Quicksilver $4.75K
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase pulled EXP for me in December in CA.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nhl1508 wrote:
I am in CA also. I think you should be able to get both of them {Mod cut} It might not matter much though because I am pretty sure Barclay will pull Transunion and Chase will pull EX and EQ. I was able to get CSP, Southwest, Barclay Arrival and Club Carlson at about the same time.

After you get your CSP you should consider to app for the freedom and Ink Plus (if possible). All 3 cards works great together.

CSP + Ink Plus is bad idea because you pay two AFs. Ink Cash is better unless you plan to optimize the 50k on Office Supplies

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you will be approved for CSP.  Applied for Freedom and CSP last month and was approved.  They pulled TU (687) and Exp (776).  Credit pulls database shows that they only pull Experian in my state, but in fact I got a double pull, so be prepared.  I really love the combo of the Freedom/CSP.  I don't have any experience with Barclays. Good luck.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my experience from one spree about a month ago.  W/utilization at 45% (then, now I have it down to 17%), avg of 3 fico scores around 700, low inquiries and no baddies, Chase loved me (12k), Barclay was pretty stingy (4k) and CITI kicked me to the curb (0k).

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

-highest CL is $10k

-no Chase cards/accounts

-no derogs or lates ever

!) Yes

2) Apply for whichever you need more. Barclays is more sensitive but many of us (including myself) have gotten in with 3-5 inqs, although it may require recon and they may ask you about the inqs so be prepared to answer such questions.

3) Could be EX, or could be double pull. It's hard to know for sure.

4) Sallie Mae is easier to get but they are very inq and new account sensitive so you may need to do some explaining. CSP is harder to recon as well so hope for instant approval. I'd go for CSP first then Sallie Mae because Barclays customer service is very nice and understanding if you need to recon. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all the input so far!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@nhl1508 wrote:
I am in CA also. I think you should be able to get both of them {Mod cut} It might not matter much though because I am pretty sure Barclay will pull Transunion and Chase will pull EX and EQ. I was able to get CSP, Southwest, Barclay Arrival and Club Carlson at about the same time.

CSP + Ink Plus is bad idea because you pay two AFs. Ink Cash is better unless you plan to optimize the 50k on Office Supplies

Agreed. This is what I'm shooting for by June.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.