Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about apping for JetBlue

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Thinking about apping for JetBlue

Thanks Bella007, im glad to hear you put more thought in to it. And hey, you know it was the right decision cuz your gut told you to check out what your peeps on myfico may have to saySmiley Happy( always do whats best for you in the end though!) And thats a hard thing to do at nightSmiley Happy

I like how your firm on keeping your NFL card, made me smile. That you really want the card shows it was not a waste of an app. I really wish i could have a card for my favorite Nba team but for now its a card ,bank, not really geographically realistic to me.Smiley Sad ah well, maybe one day NBA will change its official card to a Penfed promise hahaSmiley Happy. Best regards on your credit journeySmiley Happy
Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've pretty much got my rebuilding card line up set, and just started gardening in earnest. Well, today, I found out that a friend is planning a "girl cruise" in May to celebrate her retirement. JetBlue is on my card wishlist, but I've fully intended on waiting to app for it until my TU goes up more. It's already gone from 576 to 625 in less than two months, just from opening revolving credit and then paying in full for a couple of months. I was approved for Barclays NFL Extra Points Visa at 603, so I am thinking I should get approved for JetBlue, and I know for sure with the bonus points and utilization between now and the cruise I should be able earn enough points to cover my flight to and from the port. And, if I don't app, I'd hate to miss out on the 3x points I could earn when I purchase the tickets. I plan on using JetBlue to fly to Rams games next Fall, so I would get a head start on it. Okay, sorry to be long-winded. Maybe I can ask a couple of questions to help, and opinions are welcome!

1). NFL Extra Points was just approved on 7/27/16. Will Barclays even approve a 2nd card this soon? If they won't, then questions 2 and 3 are irrelevant...

2). Does anyone have any thoughts on apping and probably getting JetBlue now (5,000 bonus points w/$1000 in purchases in first 90 days) vs holding out until TU is worthy of the JetBlue Plus (30,000 bonus points w/$1000 spend in first 90 days+5,000 bonus points per year+1st checked bag free-$99AF)? TU doesn't seem to like me much so far compared to other bureaus, so I might have to wait quite a while to be found worthy of the Plus.Smiley Frustrated

3). Is this worth jumping out of the garden? I've been in since the first, so I guess I wouldn't be losing a spade at least.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any thoughts or info. Smiley Happy

Just my opinion:

1. The Jet Blue card is a good card.

2. The Jet Blue card may possibly be harder to get than the NFL card (my gut tells me it's harder to get), so qualifying for one doesn't mean you would have qualified for the other.

3. Barclay may not approve another card so soon, they don't like a lot of recent inquiries & new accounts.

4. If you really want to try for it, and if you would prefer it to the NFL card, one thing you can do if you get turned down is call their recon department and ask if they could close the NFL card and move the credit limit to the Jet Blue card (Barclays will often do that)

Thanks! I definitely am not willing to give up the NFL card. I'm not sure if JetBlue is harder to get, but I had the same thoughts about Barclay maybe not approving a second card so soon. I can be patient. Smiley Happy

Patience is a virtue.

Wish I had some of that Smiley Happy

Maybe I should have said I can try to be patient...Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Thanks Bella007, im glad to hear you put more thought in to it. And hey, you know it was the right decision cuz your gut told you to check out what your peeps on myfico may have to saySmiley Happy( always do whats best for you in the end though!) And thats a hard thing to do at nightSmiley Happy

I like how your firm on keeping your NFL card, made me smile. That you really want the card shows it was not a waste of an app. I really wish i could have a card for my favorite Nba team but for now its a card ,bank, not really geographically realistic to me.Smiley Sad ah well, maybe one day NBA will change its official card to a Penfed promise hahaSmiley Happy. Best regards on your credit journeySmiley Happy

I definitely posted to have someone speak some reason to me, and even though it was pretty late and I didn't think anyone would be on to respond, I know it was in a way me making me accountable too. I mean, if I posted this, and then the next morning posted that I got approved, that would be pretty messed up! 

Yeah, I really love this NFL card. Barclays card site is really cool because they actually show you the points right next to your purchases once they post. And putting $500 through in the first 3 months to get the 10,000 point bonus is way easy. I live about an 8-9 hour drive from LA, and with NFL Extra Points and flying JetBlue I will be able to offset some costs of going to see the Rams. I'm not planning to this season, but by next season....well, I can't wait to go to a Rams home game! I've seen them play the 49ers twice at Candlestick, but know that a home game will be amazing! I'm a big football nerd...

Sooooooo, if my TU goes up significantly, don't be surprised if I don't ask whether I should app for JetBlue or not...Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclays card site is really cool because they actually show you the points right next to your purchases once they post

I love this! I just got my card yesterday and my first transaction posted tonight, and I was surprised to see the number of rewards earned posted right next to the transaction! Definitely an improvement over my Delta AmEx, and the card earns double points on restaurants + grocery stores. I like their website too. In due time, you'll be able to get your JetBlue card. Great airline too.

Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclays card site is really cool because they actually show you the points right next to your purchases once they post

I love this! I just got my card yesterday and my first transaction posted tonight, and I was surprised to see the number of rewards earned posted right next to the transaction! Definitely an improvement over my Delta AmEx, and the card earns double points on restaurants + grocery stores. I like their website too. In due time, you'll be able to get your JetBlue card. Great airline too.

Awesome, I am glad you are enjoying your JetBlue card! I will get there someday. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 32
Open123
Super Contributor

Here's my take.

If you fly JetBlue (assume that you do, since I find them to have the best economy product) several times per year, then go with the $89 fee card.  The 30K bonus (assuming you can meet the spend without spending more than you normall do) and 5K (points range from 1.4 - 1.6 cpp) annual bonus should more than make up for the fee.  

On the other hand, if you don't fly JetBlue often, their no fee card is underwhelming and not worth the HP/new account.

Whenever you're ready to app, good luck!

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Open123 for your thoughts on the card differences. That is really helpful. That confirms that I need to garden until I can qualify for the Plus card.☺
Message 17 of 32
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you, Open123 for your thoughts on the card differences. That is really helpful. That confirms that I need to garden until I can qualify for the Plus card.☺

I really find the JetBlue Plus to be an excellent value.  If JetBlue serves your destinations, it's the best overall value, in my estimation.  Combined with their rewards program, extra points on the card, and 10% rebate, your return on JetBlue purchases will have a higher expected return than any other Airline card.  The only exception would be dynamic miles value cards, which is an entirely different arena.

JetBlue is my preferred choice for many of my transcons and short hauls to LV.

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

Here's my take.

If you fly JetBlue (assume that you do, since I find them to have the best economy product) several times per year, then go with the $89 fee card.  The 30K bonus (assuming you can meet the spend without spending more than you normall do) and 5K (points range from 1.4 - 1.6 cpp) annual bonus should more than make up for the fee.  

On the other hand, if you don't fly JetBlue often, their no fee card is underwhelming and not worth the HP/new account.

I really don't think that's true at all. I have the no AF JetBlue card and am happy with my choice. At this time, I didn't want to pay annual fees for two different airline cards. I likely won't keep the Delta card long term, so maybe around this time next year I'll get the JetBlue Plus...but for now, the no AF card is a good option. It's far from worthless like you are saying.

Message 19 of 32
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Here's my take.

I really don't think that's true at all. I have the no AF JetBlue card and am happy with my choice. At this time, I didn't want to pay annual fees for two different airline cards. I likely won't keep the Delta card long term, so maybe around this time next year I'll get the JetBlue Plus...but for now, the no AF card is a good option. It's far from worthless like you are saying.

I don't think it's "worthless," but do find it underwhelming when compared to the fee one.

Here's what I mean, assuming, say, I fly JetBlue 3 or 4 times (which isn't much) per year.  For the annual fee, I receive the following:  (1) 30K miles vs. 5K (10K when you app'ed); (2) 10% redemption bonus; (3) 6X vs 3X on JetBlue purchases; and, (4) 5K annual bonus.  So, assuming I fly 4 times per year, I will earn double the JetBlue points, 10% rebate redemption (3K bonus miles and another 10% rebate on them), and 5K bonus for the fee.

JetBlue points are valued approximately at 1.7 - 1.8 cpp, which equates to a cash equivalent of about $90 rendering the annual fee "free," assuming one were to fly JetBlue several times per year, regardless.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.