cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about applying for a prime card or two. Few questions.

tag
Cred90
Established Member

Thinking about applying for a prime card or two. Few questions.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at applying for another card or two in the next couple months. I currently have a cap 1 sec 300$ 0$ balance, discover it 2000 limit 12$ balance, and Amex PRG NPSL. I am a full time student. Income about 20k. Ficos in the 760-770 range with a almost 4 year history with no negs.

Have checked the pre qualify sites and am good for chase sapphire preferred and others. Just looking for some recommendations. Don't want to waste a HP. But would love CSP or another prime card or two.

Any ideas or recommendations?

AMEX PRG NPSL(w/pay over time), Discover $2000, Cap 1 (sec) $300.
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
sr383
Regular Contributor

Re: Thinking about applying for a prime card or two. Few questions.

Do you want cash back? Points? Balance transfers? Signup bonuses?

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 2 of 26
Cred90
Established Member

Points or cash back would be nice. Mainly looking for no foreign transaction fees and card benefits. I'd also like a issuer that is more generous with limits. 

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

With a $20k income the chase AF may not be justifiable. Why not just a QS? No FTF, generous CLIs and cash back.
Message 4 of 26
Cred90
Established Member

True. I just wonder if I would be approved with my income and good history.  Really could be a card to grow with. I've looked at capital one, wonder if they will take into consideration my history with them.  What is Barclays and Cap 1 like for initial limits 

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cred90 wrote:

True. I just wonder if I would be approved with my income and good history.  Really could be a card to grow with. I've looked at capital one, wonder if they will take into consideration my history with them.  What is Barclays and Cap 1 like for initial limits 

For the CSP, unlikely. That's okay. Tuck that idea away for after you graduate or your income grows a bit and, with your profile, you'll get it with no problem.

Message 6 of 26
Cred90
Established Member

That's OK. I'm thinking between the quicksilver and one of the Barclay cards preferably the arrival plus. Isn't the quicksilver a visa signature? Between these two what are the initial limits like?

Amex just send me an offer for the blue cash when they added my pay over time feature.
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

The QS CAN be a VS but you need a $5k limit in most cases. I have seen people with your income get a CSP but irk if they were honest about income or not on the app but it's still probably not justifiable. Limits really depend on a lot of factors. You can get a $3k one or a $5k its all situational and no one could say "you'll get X limit"
Message 8 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think it's pretty unlikely that a CSP is justifiable with a 20k income, besides the fact you already have a PRG with an annual fee to pay. I think something like QS is a good suggestion, but really, what are you looking for? What do you feel your lineup lacks? Cards like PRG pretty much demand being a "main card" if you want to reap any actual benefit, especially on a lower income.

Message 9 of 26
Cred90
Established Member

I realize that I have to utilize one hard to maximize benefits at this stage in my life. Luckily my parents pay my annual fees because I let them be authorized users. Im mainly looking to add some decent cards to my portfolio so that I can have a long history with them.
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.