cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about cancelling a card... guidance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thinking about cancelling a card... guidance?

I was recently approved for Amex BCE and Citi Double Cash this week with some pretty high limits.  Since I now have these cards and anticipate using them for the rewards features, I would like to – slowly – get rid of the cards that I’ve picked up over the years when I was rebuilding my credit. 

I’m thinking about starting with a really old one.  It’s a Barclay Barnes and Noble MC (and the program isn’t even offered by B&N anymore, it’s that old) with only a 500 buck limit.  I’ve tried over the years to get CLIs on this and they’ve always turned me down with a flat “no”.  The APR is horrendous, too, at 24.99.  I don’t use it anymore (haven’t used it in 2 years), there aren’t any B&N stores near me anymore anyway, and don’t anticipate ever using it again. 

The only thing stopping me from outright closing it is that it’s one of my oldest cards.  I could only find online statements going back to December of 2009 and I suspect it’s even older than that (possibly 2007).  I have only one other account that might be older than that, so I’m concerned that it’s going to hit my AoAA pretty badly.  I think that there’s an AF on this too, but it’s in the form of a B&N membership – if I had a location near me I wouldn’t fuss about it but I don’t and I’m honestly just thinking I’m not ever going to use this card again. 

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Thanks in advance.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thinking about cancelling a card... guidance?

It will stay on your report for 10 years after closing. Get your scissors out!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, wow, I had no idea it stayed on there.  That's awesome.  It's definitely headed for the shredder, in that case.

I was thinking about maybe calling them and trying to PC it, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be worth the hassle.  I wouldn't call it a subprime card exactly (since it's unsecured), but it definitely wasn't a "better" option at the time, and I'm still kind of ticked that they won't even CLI after 7+ years of perfect payments. 

Probably not worth the plastic it's printed on at this point, even to PC it, unless it may be worth a try?  I'm new to this so I'm not sure what is worth PC'ing, keeping, hanging on to, etc.  Sorry for the excessive questions.

ETA:  This probably isn't the first time I'll ask either, because I have about 4 other cards that might be heading the same way!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Probably not worth the plastic it's printed on at this point, even to PC it, unless it may be worth a try?  I'm new to this so I'm not sure what is worth PC'ing, keeping, hanging on to, etc.  Sorry for the excessive questions.

ETA:  This probably isn't the first time I'll ask either, because I have about 4 other cards that might be heading the same way!

I completely agree with Nixon.

As for a PC, I see the B&N card is issued by Barclays. I don't know Barclays policies regarding PC's on co-branded cards but I know PC's on co-branded cards with any issuer are usually a no go.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.