cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about making my own credit card.

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Thinking about making my own credit card.

I'm thinking about making my own metal CC and using laser to engrave my info on it. I want to make it as heavy as possible and since the thickness of the CC is fixed, I have to use some metal of high density. After some searching, I find that Ruthenium may be the right one. Its density is 12.45 g·cm−3, basically the same with Palladium. Price is about $6.5/gram,  compared with Palladium's $22.5/gram. Just as a comparison,density of Silver,Iron, Gold are 10.49 g·cm-3, 7.8, 19.3, respectively. And after some simple math work, I figured out the total weight of the card should be about 40gram, compared with normal plastics' 4-5 gram, and JPM Chase Palladium's  23gram. If you use Iridium, it can be as heavy as 60gram. 

The cost of the plate material is about 40g*6.5= $260. Not sure about how much it will cost for things after that, though. After all the procedures,I'll  just glue or copy the magnetic strip of my Chase Freedom card to it.

This is only a very preliminary thought that I want to share with everyone, I think it's pretty fun to have your own special card. Maybe it will  be done within one year, maybe never because it's very likely the cost is north of $1K if I want to make it as least look close to a piece of art, like the Palladium . I'll explore and gather more information. Thank you. Smiley Happy

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Thinking about making my own credit card.

There are already companies that will make your own customized card for you, and it's cheaper to get them to do it.

The only problem though, is that you're basically giving them all the info on your card, in order to allow them to replicate the info on the magnetic strip.

If there's any kind of data breach in those companies, or if there's any shady stuff going on in those companies, your credit card account is in for a lot of trouble.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 5
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:

There are already companies that will make your own customized card for you, and it's cheaper to get them to do it.

The only problem though, is that you're basically giving them all the info on your card, in order to allow them to replicate the info on the magnetic strip.

If there's any kind of data breach in those companies, or if there's any shady stuff going on in those companies, your credit card account is in for a lot of trouble.

Well, I can do the last part myself.. I know how to replicate the magnetic strip. That being said, I think it would be dumb for any US based company who do this kind of business (design CC)to keep the magnetic stripe information, not even to mention to use it for some shady stuff. It's simply because it's can be so easily found out and got caught by the policy. 

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 3 of 5
bribro
Valued Contributor

Cool story bro.
TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 5
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

It's great that you want to make your own credit card and all but this should be posted under smorgasboard forum not in the credit card forum.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.