Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of CITI Prestige

tag
Shelly13
New Contributor

Thinking of CITI Prestige

Hey everyone!

So I am thinking about applying for the CITI Prestige at the end of the summer however, I just applied for 3 cards recently the AMEX BC, CITI Simplicity, and Marvel card.

I wanted to use the Marvel card instead of my NFL card because of better rewards, and only use it if I can't use my AMEX BC (aside from dining).

I applied for the CITI simplicity because I needed to do a BT and I should have the card paid off at the end of the year.

And before I applied for the CITI card I applied for the AMEX BC but they didn't give me enough to do a BT and I thought CITI would blacklist me because I burned them a few years ago (not on my credit report anymore).

Anyway, I am doing a lot of upcoming traviling in the year 2017.  I am taking a cruise in January and then my sister has a wedding coming up and she lives out of state so I am going to have to fly pretty frequently this year.  Ideally I would like to get the card in September so that I can use it to pay my bills and things I would be doing anyway so I can earn the bonus points and use it for the upcoming trips.  I also figured if I made a few payments to CITI they would like that before getting another card.

I only have 1 inquiry on my EQ which is what citibank pulled to get my other card.  When they pulled my report I had a 733.

I am just wondering if September sounds long enough to wait or if I should wait longer...

The only cards with a balance now is Citi: 4,000 and Discover: 3,000 (which will be paid off in August).

Amex ED: 5,000 I Barclays: 10,000 I Discover: 8,700 I VS: 6,000 I Citi Simplicity: 6,700 I Amex BC: 2,000 I Marvel MC: 8,000 I
I Chase FU: 4,000 I US Bank: 500.00 I Fidelity: 5,000 I
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thinking of CITI Prestige

If you are needing to do a BT for current credit card debt, are you sure that a card with a $450 annual fee is the best option for you?

In your shoes I might suggest checking out a few other cards before making a decision - especially since there are plenty with much lower (or no) annual fees.

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are needing to do a BT for current credit card debt, are you sure that a card with a $450 annual fee is the best option for you?

In your shoes I might suggest checking out a few other cards before making a decision - especially since there are plenty with much lower (or no) annual fees.

I have about $30k in credit card debt that I move around from card to card when I get 0% transfer deals. I think if his income can support it then it's fine.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats your goal? $450 is hefty, I mean you get the $250 back for flying so I look at at $200, but are you looking for perks, points or something in between?

Message 4 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have about $30k in credit card debt that I move around from card to card when I get 0% transfer deals. I think if his income can support it then it's fine.

I think what wanderingbuilder was saying is at $450 AF and no $0% for the Prestige no matter what income is...

It doesn't make sense to use this card as a BT 

And I totally agree with the statement and have never seen a $0% for this card and doubt we ever will

The Prestige is not the card to carry a balance on be it from a BT or from not PIF'ing every month because if you do it dilutes the rewards and that's what it is a travel reward card and not a balance carrying card 

What good is a $250 air credit if interest is getting it? 

Same with 4th night free if you paid for it in interest?

Same can be said for the golf, TSA,Global feature if it was diluted by the interest paid every month 

OP the Prestige is a great card ....I mean great card and I love it but it's a PIF and reap the benefits cards 

Maybe you need to app 2 cards? Hmmmm Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You say you need a larger starting limit on a new card.  With Zero % to transfer balance.  Preferrablly with Rewards. 

Go research Pen Fed website and their cards.  They have zero % cards for intro .. one for rewards and another for travel. 

If you can't join the normal means .. small dontation and a $5 checking account gets you in.  They do a HP to join.. BUT you can app for other items in their arsenal w/the same Equifax app up until 90 days.  

PS you know what you need an want for the upcoming events in your life.  Im only suggesting you research this one... It will be great down the road to have an established relationship with a Credit Union like Pen Fed if you ever need to purchase or refinance a car etc.  They've also been known to give generous starting limits on their credit cards.  I have not apped yet.... dying to .. but holding off just a tad.  PS they also have some low APR. 

Anyway good luck and let us know what you app for ? 

Message 6 of 21
Shelly13
New Contributor

I think some how I didn't convey my message clearly.

I already have the CITI simplicty that I am using for BT because of the 0% interest.  Which is going to be paid off by the end of the year OR sooner.

I understand that the card has a 450.00 AF and I know that I would get only 250.00 airline credit beack, HOWEVER it says on their website if you spend $3000.00 in the first 3 months (which I would use on bills and PIF) I would earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou points that are redeemable for an $800 flight on American Airlines, a $665 flight on any other airline or $500 in gift cards and there is no foreign transaction fees I'm out of the country in January (another reason for me to get the card in September so I have 3 months to rack up my points).  and then throughout the year I'll be doing a lot of traveling multiple times because my sister is getting married and I will be staying at hotels.  I totally understand that this card is a PIF card.  Anything that I would be using this card for I would have to plan it in my budget regardless and my husband plays golf.

Bottom line is would it be best to skip this offer because I just did a balance transfer (using my CITI simplicity 0% 21 months) because I don't want to apply for the prestige in September and be denied.  

Amex ED: 5,000 I Barclays: 10,000 I Discover: 8,700 I VS: 6,000 I Citi Simplicity: 6,700 I Amex BC: 2,000 I Marvel MC: 8,000 I
Message 7 of 21
Shelly13
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not applying for the card anytime soon.  I am waiting to pay down my balance quite a bit.  

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you having to fly American airlines?

Message 9 of 21
Shelly13
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you having to fly American airlines?

I don't have to fly AA but it is an option that is available to me.  

And of course if you any other recommendations that anyone thinks may be better for my needs I am certainly open to listen as I do want to make sure I take advantage of my options.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.