Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of CITI Prestige

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Thinking of CITI Prestige

@Shelly13 wrote:

I think some how I didn't convey my message clearly.

I already have the CITI simplicty that I am using for BT because of the 0% interest.  Which is going to be paid off by the end of the year OR sooner.

I understand that the card has a 450.00 AF and I know that I would get only 250.00 airline credit beack, HOWEVER it says on their website if you spend $3000.00 in the first 3 months (which I would use on bills and PIF) I would earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou points that are redeemable for an $800 flight on American Airlines, a $665 flight on any other airline or $500 in gift cards and there is no foreign transaction fees I'm out of the country in January (another reason for me to get the card in September so I have 3 months to rack up my points).  and then throughout the year I'll be doing a lot of traveling multiple times because my sister is getting married and I will be staying at hotels.  I totally understand that this card is a PIF card.  Anything that I would be using this card for I would have to plan it in my budget regardless and my husband plays golf.

Bottom line is would it be best to skip this offer because I just did a balance transfer (using my CITI simplicity 0% 21 months) because I don't want to apply for the prestige in September and be denied.  

And the points are worth even more if you transfer to FF programs 

So if you travel or have a trip planned for the future this card and the bonus should be considered 

I value it more like $1200-1500

Bottom line......Only you can answer this question Citi has been known to approve while carrying a balance they may not give you a limit over the 5k min

because of the BT but it certainly doesn't mean you won't be given another card/approval 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 21
Shelly13
New Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Shelly13 wrote:

I already have the CITI simplicty that I am using for BT because of the 0% interest.  Which is going to be paid off by the end of the year OR sooner.

I understand that the card has a 450.00 AF and I know that I would get only 250.00 airline credit beack, HOWEVER it says on their website if you spend $3000.00 in the first 3 months (which I would use on bills and PIF) I would earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou points that are redeemable for an $800 flight on American Airlines, a $665 flight on any other airline or $500 in gift cards and there is no foreign transaction fees I'm out of the country in January (another reason for me to get the card in September so I have 3 months to rack up my points).  and then throughout the year I'll be doing a lot of traveling multiple times because my sister is getting married and I will be staying at hotels.  I totally understand that this card is a PIF card.  Anything that I would be using this card for I would have to plan it in my budget regardless and my husband plays golf.

Bottom line is would it be best to skip this offer because I just did a balance transfer (using my CITI simplicity 0% 21 months) because I don't want to apply for the prestige in September and be denied.  

So if you travel or have a trip planned for the future this card and the bonus should be considered 

Bottom line......Only you can answer this question Citi has been known to approve while carrying a balance they may not give you a limit over the 5k min

because of the BT but it certainly doesn't mean you won't be given another card/approval 

Thank you MJ!  My balances will be paid down considerbly and I will wait until September to see how I look before applying.  

Amex ED: 5,000 I Barclays: 10,000 I Discover: 8,700 I VS: 6,000 I Citi Simplicity: 6,700 I Amex BC: 2,000 I Marvel MC: 8,000 I
I Chase FU: 4,000 I US Bank: 500.00 I Fidelity: 5,000 I
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that there are better options than the Prestige since Citi's points are not the best. Personally if you are looking for points I would rather the 50000 with the Chase Sapphire Preferred, they can transfer to United and Southwest and some others. 

Obviously $450 is not the issue as you stated but are you going to get $200 worth of benefits after the credit? AMEX PRG has an offer out right now for 50000 MR points and they wll waive the $195 fee the fist year and you get a $100 credit you can use for airline giftcards. They also have a 65000 one but it was more long term requirements.

I asked about perks becuase if you are looking for those you do get lounge access with the Prestige as well 4th nights free and free TSA/Global entry credit. I have the AMEX Platinum which is the compettor for the Prestige. I got in on the 100,000 miles so it was a no brainer. However I have used my "perks" and will use thier lounges since I fly out of Houston and will take advantage of the new Centurion Lounge.

Message 13 of 21
Shelly13
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think that there are better options than the Prestige since Citi's points are not the best. Personally if you are looking for points I would rather the 50000 with the Chase Sapphire Preferred, they can transfer to United and Southwest and some others. 

Obviously $450 is not the issue as you stated but are you going to get $200 worth of benefits after the credit? AMEX PRG has an offer out right now for 50000 MR points and they wll waive the $195 fee the fist year and you get a $100 credit you can use for airline giftcards. They also have a 65000 one but it was more long term requirements.

I asked about perks becuase if you are looking for those you do get lounge access with the Prestige as well 4th nights free and free TSA/Global entry credit. I have the AMEX Platinum which is the compettor for the Prestige. I got in on the 100,000 miles so it was a no brainer. However I have used my "perks" and will use thier lounges since I fly out of Houston and will take advantage of the new Centurion Lounge.

Unfortuanately, I burned chase in my very early 20's and I'm thinking they may have black listed me (although I thought CITI would have to) and the PRG is my second choice because I do like the AF being waived as well as other perks.  $100 credit..etc.

Amex ED: 5,000 I Barclays: 10,000 I Discover: 8,700 I VS: 6,000 I Citi Simplicity: 6,700 I Amex BC: 2,000 I Marvel MC: 8,000 I
I Chase FU: 4,000 I US Bank: 500.00 I Fidelity: 5,000 I
Message 14 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Shelly13 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Shelly13 wrote:

Thank you MJ!  My balances will be paid down considerbly and I will wait until September to see how I look before applying.  

I think you have a good plan for a great card 

With the wedding coming up and the trip in Jan no FTF's 

You could make out like a bandit between points earned via bonus and perks of the card from what you told us 

Golf, TSA/Global entry and 4th night free will have you saving thousands of $$$$$$$ while enjoying the trips

FYI try not use TYP's for hotel not the best redemption ....air is your best value 

Let me know how you turn out but IMHO you'll be fine in SeptSmiley Wink

P.S. learn the TYP transfer partners system you may find that you can use on your favorite airline of choice 

Do that now B-4 the app 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 15 of 21
370Z
Frequent Contributor

FYI the golf benefit only applies to the primary cardholder and cannot be gifted to someone else.

EQ8 817 (2/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 837 (3/24) EX9 842 (3/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 16 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@370Z wrote:

FYI the golf benefit only applies to the primary cardholder and cannot be gifted to someone else.

She can certainly use the card for her husband and ride along via golf cart....been there seen that 

The primary cardmember will receive 3 complimentary rounds of golf through the Citi Prestige Golf Portal (Powered by GolfSwitch, Inc.) each calendar year, subject to the terms and conditions of the Program. Complimentary rounds are for the primary cardmember only. The Citi Prestige card must be used to reserve the rounds, and if the round is eligible for the complimentary offer, the cardmember will not be billed.

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 17 of 21
370Z
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@370Z wrote:

She can certainly use the card for her husband and ride along via golf cart....been there seen that 

The primary cardmember will receive 3 complimentary rounds of golf through the Citi Prestige Golf Portal (Powered by GolfSwitch, Inc.) each calendar year, subject to the terms and conditions of the Program. Complimentary rounds are for the primary cardmember only. The Citi Prestige card must be used to reserve the rounds, and if the round is eligible for the complimentary offer, the cardmember will not be billed.

That sounds terrible for those of us that don't golf...

EQ8 817 (2/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 837 (3/24) EX9 842 (3/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 18 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@370Z wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@370Z wrote:

That sounds terrible for those of us that don't golf...

Lol There's always the clubhouse for those Smiley Wink

Plenty of fun there 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about Citi's AAdvantage?  There is no annual fee the first year they have the spend 3000 to get you 50,000 miles.  Then the 2nd year you will only get the $95 AF.  Then there are so benefits to flying and using the AAdvantage card. 

Might get more bank for your buck with this one.. again I don't know the different spiffs between that card and this and you know what you are looking for... I have the AAdvantage.  I don't travel quite as much as you .. but I wanted something to rack up some miles etc.  Plus there is some partnering with some of their sibling partner airlines including some international on other airlines.  

Food for Thought. 

Good Luck. Smiley Happy 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.