Thinking of Cancelling My AARP Card

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase AARP approved

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

I've been thinking about cancelling mine.  I already got the bonus and now I have 3% dining covered by Spidey rather than an AARP logo.

Yeah, I know some people (including those who aren't of the "typical" AARP age) love the card but I just wouldn't be able to get past it at the age of 25. Giving an AARP card to the waiter would just make me feel strange. Then again, plenty of people don't care and just want their 3%. But now that you have Marvel, may be redundant.

Congrats on the approval, OP. It seems just letting things sit with Chase can be helpful.

I am no where near 50 but I can careless what people think. For the ones who knows credit, they see you with an AARP card and you are using it for dinning or gas, they know you're financial savy. But to each his/her own. And you can't compared Chase to Syn cards...different league in terms of lending. 

Eh not really.... The general public don't really know the differences between cards other than what is shown on TV or other advertisements. Discover and Freedom offer the 5% catagories, Capital one QS is unlimited CB with no caps or catagories and is a flat 1.5% CB, The citi is a 1% CB on payments and 1% on charges, and etc.  They don't really know the AARP offers 3% CB on dining or Gas or whatever else.    Took a while to get my mother to take Amex's offer for the BCE since they were offering $300 as a reward for signing up and offers 3% CB on groceries.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 31 of 37
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

OK so I did it.

I actually went a little further than just AARP.  I closed Total Rewards and Crap 1 a couple of weeks ago and then today I closed Amex Hilton, AARP, and CSP.  Hilton only had a 2k limit so I didn't even ask about moving the line.  I just closed it.  I moved the limits from CSP and AARP both to Freedom putting it at 16.5k.  Hopefully I wont regret closing CSP down the road.  I'm just not using the freedom + CSP combo like I thought I would and now I have at least one Chase card with a good limit in Freedom. 

Honestly I don't really use Freedom either given the overlap with Discover.  I may end up axing it next year and moving that 16.5k over to Marriott. 

Message 32 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consolidation ...congrats on the move. 

Message 33 of 37
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Thinking of Cancelling My AARP Card

I agree that without CSP for transferring points, freedom may feel pretty redundant. I had one at one point but it's too similar to Discover for me.
Message 34 of 37
celluloid17
Established Contributor

I'm thinking about closing mine as well.  Just this past week, I moved some of the credit limit over to my Freedom Unlimited card, which was a very easy process.  I'm thinking that once I get the Citi Costco card, I would just use that as my dining card since I'll already be carrying it as my Costco card.  It will mean having to wait a year for the rewards, but the Citi Costco card covers so many more categories, it's really convenient when you want to travel light.   Thankfully, Chase is good about moving limits so I'll get to keep the credit and pad my FU card a bit since they're not good about CLIs.  With this strategy, come July I'll only have to carry 3 credit cards with me on a regular basis (Sallie Mae, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Citi Anywhere).  Simplicity (as a concept, not the card!) is really appealing to me these days.

Message 35 of 37
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

I'm thinking about closing mine as well.  Just this past week, I moved some of the credit limit over to my Freedom Unlimited card, which was a very easy process.  I'm thinking that once I get the Citi Costco card, I would just use that as my dining card since I'll already be carrying it as my Costco card.  It will mean having to wait a year for the rewards, but the Citi Costco card covers so many more categories, it's really convenient when you want to travel light.   Thankfully, Chase is good about moving limits so I'll get to keep the credit and pad my FU card a bit since they're not good about CLIs.  With this strategy, come July I'll only have to carry 3 credit cards with me on a regular basis (Sallie Mae, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Citi Anywhere).  Simplicity (as a concept, not the card!) is really appealing to me these days.

Agree, carrying 8 or 10 cards, one for each possible merchant one may go to (and many that overlap) just doesn't appeal to me.

Message 36 of 37
trant3
Established Contributor

I'm thinking about closing or moving limits to my freedom, I hate the card. I opened it back in 12/2015. Anyone know if I can move my $3k limit over now, with a small balance?
FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.