Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of Cancelling My AARP Card

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Thinking of Cancelling My AARP Card

I've been thinking about cancelling mine.  I already got the bonus and now I have 3% dining covered by Spidey rather than an AARP logo.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Chase AARP approved

@wacdenney wrote:

I've been thinking about cancelling mine.  I already got the bonus and now I have 3% dining covered by Spidey rather than an AARP logo.

Yeah, I know some people (including those who aren't of the "typical" AARP age) love the card but I just wouldn't be able to get past it at the age of 25. Giving an AARP card to the waiter would just make me feel strange. Then again, plenty of people don't care and just want their 3%. But now that you have Marvel, may be redundant.

Message 2 of 37
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

Yeah, I know some people (including those who aren't of the "typical" AARP age) love the card but I just wouldn't be able to get past it at the age of 25. Giving an AARP card to the waiter would just make me feel strange. Then again, plenty of people don't care and just want their 3%. But now that you have Marvel, may be redundant.

Congrats on the approval, OP. It seems just letting things sit with Chase can be helpful.

You know I never really particularly minded as 3% is 3% either way, but given a choice yes I choose Spidey.  The thing that's really making the difference is the fact that I can move the limit so closing it wouldn't really be a loss in any real way.  Plus Chase isn't really known for being generous with CLIs like Synch is.

Message 3 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

Congrats on the approval, OP. It seems just letting things sit with Chase can be helpful.

I am no where near 50 but I can careless what people think. For the ones who knows credit, they see you with an AARP card and you are using it for dinning or gas, they know you're financial savy. But to each his/her own. And you can't compared Chase to Syn cards...different league in terms of lending. 

Message 4 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am no where near 50 but I can care less what people think. For the ones who know credit, they see you with an AARP card and you are using it for dinning or gas, they know you're financial savy. But to each his/her own. And you can't compared Chase to Syn cards...different league in terms of lending. 

Absolutely agree, copper, thank you! Chase is a world class lender and I love them! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 37
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

I am no where near 50 but I can careless what people think. For the ones who knows credit, they see you with an AARP card and you are using it for dinning or gas, they know you're financial savy. But to each his/her own. And you can't compared Chase to Syn cards...different league in terms of lending. 

Oh come on now don't get carried away.  Synch isn't that much better than Chase...  

Message 6 of 37
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

OP, a new thread has been created on this subject. I changed the title and left everything else intact.

Message 7 of 37
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

OP, a new thread has been created on this subject. I changed the title and left everything else intact.

That's fine...  It wasn't an attempt to derail or anything.  I was just thinking out loud so to speak.

Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aside from the "AARP" logo the "AARP" has more flexibility for redemption purposes. I may get rid of it when I get my Costco card, but I wouldn't get rid of it for the Marvel card. 

Like others have said, who cares if it has an AARP logo? I've used the card many times and no one has given me any weird looks or said anything. The card itself looks decent and doesn't look like a retirement home ID so I don't get the hate! 

Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I'm a little weird. Not only would I not mind using the card if I had one, I always ask if the place I'm shopping offers a senior discount. The only thing that irritates me is that nobody has asked me to prove it. Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.