cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of Closing Some Cards..Thoughts?

tag
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

Thinking of Closing Some Cards..Thoughts?

My cards and limits are all up to date in my signature.  I was thinking about moving my chase freedom limit over to the Marriot and closing it.  As well as closing the cap one (which is my oldest, just hit a year this month) and prg (once I can find a way to spend the points).  However all cards except the cap1 are less than a year old.  Is this frowned upon at all since they are so young?  I haven't been using them at all since my other cards offer similar rewards and I tend to favor the higher limits.  Don't want to ruin any future apps by looking like I churned sign up offers.  My plan moving forward would be to push spending through my BofA since I have a banking relationship with them while using other cards when appropriate such as discover for gas, amex for groceries, the citi card for my morning coffee at work (2 typ), and my marriot for dining/my one vacation a year. Any thoughts?

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thinking of Closing Some Cards..Thoughts?

I would not be closing anything right now, just SD the ones you are not using and if you really don't want them let the issuer close for non use.

Message 2 of 5
Luscher
Valued Contributor

why not?^^^^

If you do not have a need for the card, transfer the CL and close it, no harm......the trade line will still report for up to 10 years
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Luscher wrote:
why not?^^^^

If you do not have a need for the card, transfer the CL and close it, no harm......the trade line will still report for up to 10 years

+1

OP, if you already have a plan in mind and do not intend on applying for any other CCs with Chase or the others, then sure, makes good sense.  Best to fold/allocate that Freedom CL to Marriott as this gives it a bit of a bump and you don't have to worry about managing an extra card let alone take a HP for a Chase CLI on the Freedom.

Message 4 of 5
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Luscher wrote:
why not?^^^^

+1

OP, if you already have a plan in mind and do not intend on applying for any other CCs with Chase or the others, then sure, makes good sense.  Best to fold/allocate that Freedom CL to Marriott as this gives it a bit of a bump and you don't have to worry about managing an extra card let alone take a HP for a Chase CLI on the Freedom.

I don't plan on applying for anything right now.  Just trying to condense to cards I feel have the most growth potential as well as usefulness.  Discover IT and Chase Freedom pretty much go head to head with the 5% categories but Discover has given me $500 auto increases every 3 months while my freedom is still at $700.  I don't spend much but even I would have to make multiple payments a month on the freedom. 

If something were to peak my interest though would having recently closed cards ruin my chances? I seem to have a decent credit score.

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.