Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of amex gold

tag
qc-ttns
Established Member

Thinking of amex gold

I am thinking of going for the gold. I am pre-selected for the green and gold. Would I have a good chance? I have a balance on 4 of my 6 cards and one of them is 50% util my plus score is 725.  I would like the BCE but I am not pre-selected I don't want to risk it.

Starting Score: 579
Current Score: 713
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Re: thinking of amex gold

Go for GOLD!!!!  PRG if you can... it's well worth it.  I got in with lower scores and higher balances than you.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 2 of 22
twelfthjoe2
Established Member

@qc-ttns wrote:

i am thinking of going for the gold. i am pre-selected for the green and gold. would i have a good chance? i have a balance on 4 of my 6 cards and one of them is 50% util my plus score is 725.

You should be fine with a 725. What is your total util overall? I would also go with the PRG and not just the reg gold card. It's not much more and you get a lot more points. If you would be approved for the gold you will be approved for the PRG.

Message 3 of 22
qc-ttns
Established Member

20% overall utili. i would like the prg but they only offered those two. if i apply for the prg and get denied would i be able to go for the regular gold?

Message 4 of 22
twelfthjoe2
Established Member

@qc-ttns wrote:

20% overall utili. i would like the prg but they only offered those two. if i apply for the prg and get denied would i be able to go for the regular gold?

20% overall and a 700+ should be fine. If you get turned down for the PRG you cannot apply again for 30 days. However I'm 99.9% sure the Green, Gold and PRG have the same underwriting maybe even the Platinum some say. It's up to you what you would like to do. You could also apply for the Gold and if you get it right away apply for the PRG and you should also get it and just never activate the gold to be safer.

Message 5 of 22
qc-ttns
Established Member

i applied for the gold and got approved. "happy dance" if i dont activated would it show up on my credit report? i didnt know you didnt have to activated Man Surprised will they pull twice?

Message 6 of 22
twelfthjoe2
Established Member

If you do it today it will not pull twice. I got 4 Amex cards with just one HP. If you get the PRG you dont have to activate the gold and after about 90 days it will just go away.

Message 7 of 22
qc-ttns
Established Member

can i apply for the bce without a HP?

Message 8 of 22
twelfthjoe2
Established Member

@qc-ttns wrote:

I would think so as I got a charge, starwood and delat with one HP.

Message 9 of 22
twelfthjoe2
Established Member

@qc-ttns wrote:

Keep in mind if turned down you can not re apply for 30 days. So if you want the PRG get that you have almost a 100% chance of getting it.

Let me know how it goes. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.