Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of callin macys

tag
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

Thinking of callin macys

I have a store card with them for a CL of $1500 and was reading of a few people calling and requesting they run the credit for it to be a visa so I can use it in more places.. Question is should I wait until I get the balance to $0 or do it now with the balance at like $150? My score is above 650.. What are they looking for.. I've done great business with them so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be an issue.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tray
Valued Contributor

Re: Thinking of callin macys

Hi, I have read quite a few threads on this forum that getting a visa card from Macy's is difficult at times Macy's gives out invitations to apply for the visa.  I have a platinum card with Macy's over a year and a half now with a $2,500 limit and most of the time I do not think twice about apping but with Macy's for myself I am holding back.  I would call and inquire about the process and what guidelines they follow, the best of luck to you, if you get this card maybe I might trySmiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 8
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

Anyone else? Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Call them and ask questions. Tell them you want whatever answers they can provide without a hard INQ. I don't know what your scores are but Macy's Visa is nowhere as easy to get as Macy's store card. (I was 700+ across the board when I got my invitation.) Also bear in mind that Macy's Visa is not a low APR card and not a good card if you carry a balance. Use it to collect rewards if you can get yourself above the Red level.
Message 4 of 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Also, call during normal US business hours and not in the middle of the night. You will get better service.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure interested in finding out how this flies for you - I hope you do get the Visa if that works for you.  Like credit said, it's a bear of a APR, and DH's is not that handy to pay online (okay - but not great).  But it seems to grow nicely.

My FICO's are 709, 731, 741.  (mortgage pull).  When I app'd I received the store card and have upgraded to the Platinum (that's based on purchases, not credit worthiness).  My thinking is like tray's -- I've just been planning on calling in every three months for my CLI, and then app for the Visa only when they invite me to.  My card is 3 mos. old, CLI just increased from 1000 to 1700, always PIF, no invitation yet.  Interesting that they pull EXP and my score is a good chunk higher than DH's - yet he got a Visa and I got a store card!

Message 6 of 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

It was around nine years after my rehab'ed Macy's account was opened that I got the Macy's Visa invitation. I would never app the card and was 50/50 on accepting it due to the APR. I do use it pretty regularly though, and that's saying something. I will probably feel better about the card when I get outta Red land and move on to Gold so I can get the rewards! If you do a lot of business with Macy's and maintain good credit they will offer you the Visa card eventually. There's just no telling when!
Message 7 of 8
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

I like Macys but don't use it that much. So I can maybe convince them to upgrade me to a VISA so I do more business with them as they are my highest limit card and it would make sense. We'll see. I may wait until next year when the balance goes closer to $0
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.