Contributor
theNavigator

Thinking of callin macys

I have a store card with them for a CL of $1500 and was reading of a few people calling and requesting they run the credit for it to be a visa so I can use it in more places.. Question is should I wait until I get the balance to $0 or do it now with the balance at like $150? My score is above 650.. What are they looking for.. I've done great business with them so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be an issue.
Valued Contributor
tray

Re: Thinking of callin macys

Hi, I have read quite a few threads on this forum that getting a visa card from Macy's is difficult at times Macy's gives out invitations to apply for the visa.  I have a platinum card with Macy's over a year and a half now with a $2,500 limit and most of the time I do not think twice about apping but with Macy's for myself I am holding back.  I would call and inquire about the process and what guidelines they follow, the best of luck to you, if you get this card maybe I might try:smileyhappy:

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Contributor
theNavigator

Anyone else? :smileyhappy:
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

Call them and ask questions. Tell them you want whatever answers they can provide without a hard INQ. I don't know what your scores are but Macy's Visa is nowhere as easy to get as Macy's store card. (I was 700+ across the board when I got my invitation.) Also bear in mind that Macy's Visa is not a low APR card and not a good card if you carry a balance. Use it to collect rewards if you can get yourself above the Red level.
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

Also, call during normal US business hours and not in the middle of the night. You will get better service.
Moderator Emeritus
beamMEup

I'm sure interested in finding out how this flies for you - I hope you do get the Visa if that works for you.  Like credit said, it's a bear of a APR, and DH's is not that handy to pay online (okay - but not great).  But it seems to grow nicely.

My FICO's are 709, 731, 741.  (mortgage pull).  When I app'd I received the store card and have upgraded to the Platinum (that's based on purchases, not credit worthiness).  My thinking is like tray's -- I've just been planning on calling in every three months for my CLI, and then app for the Visa only when they invite me to.  My card is 3 mos. old, CLI just increased from 1000 to 1700, always PIF, no invitation yet.  Interesting that they pull EXP and my score is a good chunk higher than DH's - yet he got a Visa and I got a store card!

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

It was around nine years after my rehab'ed Macy's account was opened that I got the Macy's Visa invitation. I would never app the card and was 50/50 on accepting it due to the APR. I do use it pretty regularly though, and that's saying something. I will probably feel better about the card when I get outta Red land and move on to Gold so I can get the rewards! If you do a lot of business with Macy's and maintain good credit they will offer you the Visa card eventually. There's just no telling when!
Contributor
theNavigator

I like Macys but don't use it that much. So I can maybe convince them to upgrade me to a VISA so I do more business with them as they are my highest limit card and it would make sense. We'll see. I may wait until next year when the balance goes closer to $0

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}