cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of changing ALL my due dates...

tag
onstar
Established Contributor

Re: Thinking of changing ALL my due dates...

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I spread mine out and that allows me to have an available card should I not want to use one between due date and new billing cycle date...but I would do what works best for your situation.

This actually is a somewhat important point for the few times in one's life that one needs to be zealously managing one's credit profile.

I have HALF of all my cards at the beginning of the month.

I have HALF of all my cards at the middle of the month.

1. Makes it somewhat simple. I'm paying bills just 2x a month.

2. Just in case I may need to make a purchase where I can't actually pay it off for 6 weeks, then I'll use a card where the statement just cut, essentially giving me 2 months to pay it off without interest. Sort of addresses the two posts above.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 11 of 24
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

Thank you all. I appreciate the input. Smiley Happy

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 12 of 24
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Jansroom726 wrote:

I'm thinking of changing all my due dates across all 12 cards to the 1st of the month to keep things simple.

Do you foresee any type of issue with this? Any benefit for all my cards having random due dates, as opposed to all being due around the same date?

Thanks all Smiley Happy

I kinda like scattered.  I pull out one, when I don't want anymore reporting between the due date and the cut off date.  Even though I have 0% cards! still wanna keep that utilization in check (score bucket change coming up in 3 months).

Signature needs updating
Message 13 of 24
creditprotector
Contributor

@Jansroom726 wrote:

I'm thinking of changing all my due dates across all 12 cards to the 1st of the month to keep things simple.

Do you foresee any type of issue with this? Any benefit for all my cards having random due dates, as opposed to all being due around the same date?

Thanks all Smiley Happy

Never choose to pay all cards on a specific date, you must understand that credit financial difficulties might arise, accidents occur, illnesses strike, and people lose their jobs. If you find yourself in a difficult financial situation it would be more feasible to pay your creditors as you get money pay as you earn/get money basis. Negative events—such as failure to make payments on a specific due date all at once can become more financially difficult (it’s easier to pay on the 1th one amount and the 15th another bill and the 30th the remaining so on so forth. During which time you may find it easier to pay creditors without incurring in late payments of charges. Payment benefits, family financial support, garage selling, friends loan, ebay selling, employment benefits, welfare, dad/mom/grandmas allowance, whatever income during difficult times “do not come ON A SPECIFIC DATE” they are random like money “is” during financial problems( worst case scenario) we would not have a specific payday. There are times in which one can be unable to get the amount of money you want for a specific date. In order to maintain a good credit history, you might need to simply continue to pay all your bills on time and make re-establishing good credit a top priority throughout the month get yourself an agenda ( write due dates throughout the month) it works believe me. I have never missed a payment in 28 years and had had several financial crisis outcomes. And again this is not your scenario right now but think about the “IF”, hoping that this would never come of course.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 626
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 24
EI

Change them to whatever dates work best for you to make all payments on time or early. If it doesn't matter, if you're well off, and having one date is convenient, then by all means change them all to one date. Do whatever you like. Credit card companies could care less.

Message 15 of 24
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I just changed all my due dates so my statements cut after my paycheck comes (I get paid once a month) and I can pay off balances accrued during the month with no interest hitting or UTL ding
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@onstar wrote:

2. Just in case I may need to make a purchase where I can't actually pay it off for 6 weeks, then I'll use a card where the statement just cut, essentially giving me 2 months to pay it off without interest. Sort of addresses the two posts above.

Same, same reasons. 2nd and the 17th are my two statement cut dates with my lower limit cards cutting on the 2nd as I have a lot of other bills due around the 1st, so it spreads the "pain" more evenly that way.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@onstar wrote:

I like this idea, thanks! I have most of my statements cutting on the 2nd as I like getting all my bills around the same time for convenience, but having some at a different date for security in case of financial difficulties is definitely nice. I think I'll eventually switch my remaining cards not on the 2nd over to the middle of the month.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought of that, but not all creditors will oblige -- I'm looking at you, Barclay. Anyway, it's the balances reported on the statement date that could affect the part of your score fed by  your utilization rate. You need high balances in relation to credit limits to get in trouble, and that breaks rule one -- don't carry credit card balances.

Message 19 of 24
jsucool76
Super Contributor

all of my cards are just kinda due whenever. I don't even remember most of the due dates, but I log into my accounts about once a day, and just pay them whenever my statement comes in.

not really worried about balances reporting. lol.
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.