cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of closing some credit cards....what do you think?

tag
ayles
Established Contributor

Thinking of closing some credit cards....what do you think?

I made some impulsive choices when applying for credit last year and am really focusing on making better ones this year starting by not apping for 6-12 months minimum and maintaining low utilization across the board while maximizing discounts/rewards etc.

In light of that I've been thinking of closing a few, low limit, unecessary (aren't they all though lol) store cards and wanted to know what y'all thought.

Meijer store card $300CL; opened 10/13 (the only benefit to this would be 3 cents off gas but I have a Marathon card that gives me a better rebate and is down the street from me as opposed to all the Meijer ones which are much further away).  

TJMAXX Rewards $300CL; opened 10/13 (I don't shop extensively at these chain of stores so the cl is appropriate for my needs but again, don't shop there that often.  There are times where I'll find a good deal so on the fence about this one)

OLDNAVY $200CL; opened 5/13 (This is my lowest limit card but I shop quite a bit at ON and Gap and have benefited from the discount days and rewards.  I'm wondering if I should keep this in the hopes that it'll grow and maybe even one day transfer to the visa version-a girl can hope can't she?! lol)

Then there's the infamous OCCU Duck Card $500CL; opened 1/14 that's got all this controversy going on.  Mine has never been used and is currently frozen.  They initially had denied me earlier this month but then I spoke to a really nice lady in the UW department and she approved me after I explained the circumstances surrounding my BK four years ago and seeing that I've been pretty good with credit since.  I'm just thinking this may get shut off on it's own given all the issues at hand. 

In terms of current utilization, I use my Discover IT at about 1-2%, my local CU CC varies because I switch money between all my accounts there and I have several (auto loan etc.) and then my SEARS store card which I use for optical, tires and other things which is at about 5-10% any given month.  I pif every month for Discover and Sears and like I said my CU CC is not something I have a definite understanding of in terms of util etc. 

If I close one of the $300 ones I won't lose out on util because my Children's Place card just got increased by $300.  Would it be incredibly harmful if I closed the other $300 one too?  All of the potentials I listed above have always been in good standing.  They aren't very old either as you can see.

Any suggestions/feedback would be much appreciated!  Thank you!

Current scores: myFICO: 670/TU(Wal): 664/TU(Dis): 659 (Goal: 700)
Last app: 1/3/2014; (Prayerfully!) gardening until: 7/3/2014

~I'm living for an audience of One!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Thinking of closing some credit cards....what do you think?

Why not call credit solutions about the Old Navy CL and close the other 2 if you don't want them.

Id keep Duck for now.

Message 2 of 12
ayles
Established Contributor

@creditaddict I never get anywhere with cli with ge even though they are my most used accounts and never late and always pif lol. I've tried for numerous clis this month to no avail. I even hit the eighth statement with Wal-Mart yesterday and no increase (they gave me an auto one $200 at 4th statement). My online ones are always denied. And the one time I called credit solutions for Wal-Mart they denied ne there too and my ficos really aren't terrible. So ge clearly does not love me sniff.

Message 3 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ayles wrote:
@Creditaddict I never get anywhere with cli with ge even though they are my most used accounts and never late and always pif lol. I've tried for numerous clis this month to no avail. I even hit the eighth statement with Wal-Mart yesterday and no increase (they gave me an auto one $200 at 4th statement). My online ones are always denied. And the one time I called credit solutions for Wal-Mart they denied ne there too and my ficos really aren't terrible. So ge clearly does not love me sniff.

GE is a weird bird sometimes... id call monthly and push the button monthly.

and each account is going to be different so if you are trying to keep Old Navy and you called and pressed luv button for walmart before and no luck, that does not mean Old Navy won't give luv through button online or by calling credit solutions.

Message 4 of 12
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@ayles wrote:
@Creditaddict I never get anywhere with cli with ge even though they are my most used accounts and never late and always pif lol. I've tried for numerous clis this month to no avail. I even hit the eighth statement with Wal-Mart yesterday and no increase (they gave me an auto one $200 at 4th statement). My online ones are always denied. And the one time I called credit solutions for Wal-Mart they denied ne there too and my ficos really aren't terrible. So ge clearly does not love me sniff.

GE is a weird bird sometimes... id call monthly and push the button monthly.

and each account is going to be different so if you are trying to keep Old Navy and you called and pressed luv button for walmart before and no luck, that does not mean Old Navy won't give luv through button online or by calling credit solutions.

Hello my dear friend ayles........I would do like creditaddict said don't give up worry the crap out of them for a cli  Smiley Wink

EDIT: Also lets get them scores into the 700's...... I am here for you Garden Strong

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 5 of 12
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

Why not call credit solutions about the Old Navy CL and close the other 2 if you don't want them.

Id keep Duck for now.

+1.  And IIRC, TJ Maxx and Meijer are both also backed by GE.  I would call the Credit Solutions number for all of them.  Wal-Mart and Amazon haven't budged on my CL, but I was able to get CLI on my JCP (also backed by GE) when I called in October.  Different stores have different UW standards, so it's worth a try.  I definitely think you should have the CCs open for at least a year before closing, even if you just SD them.

I'd SD the Duck card until they sort out their issues.  

(edited for Meijer details)

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 12
ayles
Established Contributor

@Wade Thanks my dear friend, you've been a constant encouragement I really appreciate you.

@sunrise Thanks! I thought maybe closing them now vs a year from now would cause less of a hit to my AAoA. No?

Message 7 of 12
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@ayles wrote:
@Anonymous Thanks my dear friend, you've been a constant encouragement I really appreciate you.

@sunrise Thanks! I thought maybe closing them now vs a year from now would cause less of a hit to my AAoA. No?

No.  The closed accounts won't take a hit on your AAoA for 10 years after they close (that's when positive accounts fall off the CRs).   I have a car loan that was paid off in 2005 that's still boosting my AAoA.

Some folks here are just of the opinion that having TLs for a year would look better under review, which is why I suggest that.  

BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 12
ayles
Established Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@ayles wrote:
@Anonymous Thanks my dear friend, you've been a constant encouragement I really appreciate you.

No.  The closed accounts won't take a hit on your AAoA for 10 years after they close (that's when positive accounts fall off the CRs).   I have a car loan that was paid off in 2005 that's still boosting my AAoA.

Some folks here are just of the opinion that having TLs for a year would look better under review, which is why I suggest that.  

Gotcha! Thanks! I'll have to rethink closing then....

Message 9 of 12
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@ayles wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@ayles wrote:

Gotcha! Thanks! I'll have to rethink closing then....

I'd try Credit Solutions for CLIs on all of them.  If you don't get the results you want, you could always SD them.  If they aren't costing you money and aren't too much trouble to manage, there's no good reason to close them.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.