Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of cold apping AMEX

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Thinking of cold apping AMEX

@MyLoFICO wrote:

Looks like I am just waiting for 4 accounts to update to PIF status or below 85% UTIL before I cna apply. Its okay though, I don't mind waiting. My UTIL will stabilize at about 27%. I think I will hold off until May to app if I do at all. 

I think that is a solid plan!  As for the SP/HP for existing cardholders, until recently it seemed to be that existing members were getting a SP if declined and a HP if approved.  When I opened my SPG about 4 weeeks ago, I noted that there was no HP and after some discussion it seems like this has been the case for all personal charge and credit card apps recently.  My last HP from AmEx was 14 years ago.  If only they'd bring back the back-dating!

Message 11 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I am not familiar with the backdating but I remember threads here about it. I never read them since I did not have an AMEX. I will be pleased as punch if I can get the 3X CLI when the time comes.

When my scores get bumped up, do I need to wait a day or so to app or will they pull it and get the current score?

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 12 of 59
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I am not familiar with the backdating but I remember threads here about it. I never read them since I did not have an AMEX. I will be pleased as punch if I can get the 3X CLI when the time comes.

When my scores get bumped up, do I need to wait a day or so to app or will they pull it and get the current score?

They'll pull a fresh score for a new app for sure.  Future apps would be a SP they use to give you your monthly EX 08 score, although some have mentioned when declined that they didn;t always use the most recent one.  I actually get 2 or 3 score updates a month - I am assuming that it's because I've had at least 3 cards with them since they began offering scores.

For backdating, I was referring to their practice of reporting to the CBs the month and date that you opened the account with the year of your first account (AU or otherwise) as the account opening date.  For instance, my Blue card was actually opened in April of 2003, but reports as April 2002 since I opened my Green Rewards (now Platinum) and Gold (now PRG) in 2002.  This is why you would sometimes see young adults with decades-old primary user cards (like born in 1978 but brand new card showed opened in 1975 since they were an AU on a parent/grandparent's account).  My recently opened SPG shows a Member Since date of 2002 on the card and in my online account but will show 2017 on my CRs.  Alternately, my wife got her first AmEx card in 2016, but since she has been an AU on 3 of my accounts since 2003, her card and online account show Member Since 03.

Message 13 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Wow, yeah I can see how that would be nice. lol. Well, not for me since I don't have one. Not yet anyways.

Updated 1-25-18
Message 14 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP your scores are better than mine and I was approved for Amex Everyday just yesterday. Cold apped. Had no prequals. However the starting limit is $500 and it is a credit steps program similar to Cap One where I will get a CLI after 5 statements once I 1. Make sure and have a balance on each statement. 2. Pay on time for 5 billing cycles. I never get any prequals lol. I also cold apped for Discover last night and was approved for $2,500. This is a strange but fun game.

Message 15 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

3 of the 4 just closed and new statements dropped. My CCT updates in 2 days. So, come Friday I am cold appng for the BCP. God help me. Unless my score goes down instead of up lol. Then I will have an internal pitty party. Smiley Sad

Updated 1-25-18
Message 16 of 59
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Can't wait to see your post in Approvals! Best of luck.
Message 17 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyLoFICO wrote:

Once you are in with Amex, apping new AMEX cards are SP's correct?

That has been my experience. I have experienced 1 HP out of 3 accounts with Amex. Good luck!!

Message 18 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Thanks, both of you. I hope I get to post in the Approvals forum Friday. I am so leary of getting a HP and starting my gardening over but I really need to do this. I want to start closing out some of thee crappy store cards but I need the padding right now.

If I get the BCP I am going to app the PRG after that. Should I wait between cards or back to back them? 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 19 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

My goal is the BCP and Platinum. But, In the spirit of avoiding outlandish AF's I will go for the PRG. Will it be harder for me to get the BCP thant the BCE? They seems to be similar but if one is like a Signature vs a regular Visa then I want to avoid the signature or higher level of the card I think. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 20 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.