Did you mean: 

Thinking of cold apping AMEX

tag
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Re: Thinking of cold apping AMEX

@Anonymous wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I have been turned down in the past for Amex. I have app'd for the Delta Skymiles, PRG and a business card. My inquiries are as follows for those app dates. 

12-2015 Score unknown - PRG I think.

2-2016 EXP 639 - Sky Miles

4-2016 EXP 661 - Business Card

In a few days my UTIL will dip below 30% to about 27% and my score will likely get a pretty good bump above 700. This is a permanent drop, not from like a BT or anything. Scores and Inq's in signature are accurate. See below if you can't see my siggy.

When this happens I am thinking of cold apping AMEX since I don't have any pre-qualified offers from any card company at all. I wonder if my number of store cards (11) is going to be a deal breaker after reading some of the stories here though. After 5-1-17 I will only have 1 inq out of all my reports combined under 12 months old. The "Seeking Credit" factor has dropped off all 3 according to CCT 3-score report. My charge off dropped of in February so that is gone. 

I really don't want to get declined for this because I will be leaving the garden for this and I am hyper sensitive to inquiries now that I have been in inquiry prison for a year. I need the Blue Cash or Blue Cash Preferred. But, I am not sure I want the Everyday Card and $500SL with 5 months thing like everyone is getting. I need a decent SL but its not a deal breaker as long as it gets me in the door. I need to know what my odds are. If you need more info, just say the word. According to CCT my last late was 30 months ago. I have goodwill letters out that could change that too. What should I do to improve my odds? 

Scores for those who can't see them. 

TCL 96k / UTIL 31%
Experian: 680 (24) | TransUnion: 698 (30) | Equifax: 680 (19)
Gardening as of: 8-14-2016
Updated 4-14-17

Well, whatever you decide to do I wish ya luck. I just closed on my home and decided to cold app for the AMEX ED before entering the Garden. Got a good offer via incognito, pulled the trigger, and was rewarded with a nice approval message. Only $1K SL, but an approval for me is better than a denial. Cheers!

See, that scares me. I don't even get offers via incognito, from anyone, anywhere. You did and only got 1k. Not saying its a bad limit, I just don't want to burn a HP for a card that I can't BT to because of its limit. I guess I will wait and see what tomorrow brings scorewise. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 31 of 59
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I have been turned down in the past for Amex. I have app'd for the Delta Skymiles, PRG and a business card. My inquiries are as follows for those app dates. 

In a few days my UTIL will dip below 30% to about 27% and my score will likely get a pretty good bump above 700. This is a permanent drop, not from like a BT or anything. Scores and Inq's in signature are accurate. See below if you can't see my siggy.

When this happens I am thinking of cold apping AMEX since I don't have any pre-qualified offers from any card company at all. I wonder if my number of store cards (11) is going to be a deal breaker after reading some of the stories here though. After 5-1-17 I will only have 1 inq out of all my reports combined under 12 months old. The "Seeking Credit" factor has dropped off all 3 according to CCT 3-score report. My charge off dropped of in February so that is gone. 

I really don't want to get declined for this because I will be leaving the garden for this and I am hyper sensitive to inquiries now that I have been in inquiry prison for a year. I need the Blue Cash or Blue Cash Preferred. But, I am not sure I want the Everyday Card and $500SL with 5 months thing like everyone is getting. I need a decent SL but its not a deal breaker as long as it gets me in the door. I need to know what my odds are. If you need more info, just say the word. According to CCT my last late was 30 months ago. I have goodwill letters out that could change that too. What should I do to improve my odds? 

TCL 96k / UTIL 31%
Updated 4-14-17

Well, whatever you decide to do I wish ya luck. I just closed on my home and decided to cold app for the AMEX ED before entering the Garden. Got a good offer via incognito, pulled the trigger, and was rewarded with a nice approval message. Only $1K SL, but an approval for me is better than a denial. Cheers!

See, that scares me. I don't even get offers via incognito, from anyone, anywhere. You did and only got 1k. Not saying its a bad limit, I just don't want to burn a HP for a card that I can't BT to because of its limit. I guess I will wait and see what tomorrow brings scorewise. 

What sort of CL are you hoping for, exactly? How much do you plan to BT?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 32 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

TCL 96k / UTIL 31%
Updated 4-14-17

What sort of CL are you hoping for, exactly? How much do you plan to BT?

Ideally, 10k. I am not naive enough to think I will get that though. I would take the 1k obviously. It would still be my foot in the door. A low APR and 5k would make me giddy. But, knowing my luck, it will be max APR and $500 with the 6 month trial they are doing. Actually, I thoroughly expect to be denied. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 33 of 59
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Yeah...I'm thinking denial or a toy limit.

Message 34 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

and I think I am over the "oh a new card!" feeling. That sucks, I really need a BT card with a low APR. I might have to hang in there until the end of the year and hope for better. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 35 of 59
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

and I think I am over the "oh a new card!" feeling. That sucks, I really need a BT card with a low APR. I might have to hang in there until the end of the year and hope for better. 

Why not just get a BT card with a low APR? Amex isn't really known for the former, and generally reserves the latter for established low-risk customers.

Message 36 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I'm open to suggestions. I honestly have not found one that I feel like I could get.

Updated 1-25-18
Message 37 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it's not revolving, but have you considered a debt consolidation loan? Best Egg I think it's called will tell you if you qualify, how much you can borrow and at what APR... all on a SP. It becomes a HP if you go forward with the app. They told me I could borrow up to 13k at 15.9% over 3 years with scores similar to yours. That's way lower than any of my cards. 

Message 38 of 59
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know it's not revolving, but have you considered a debt consolidation loan? Best Egg I think it's called will tell you if you qualify, how much you can borrow and at what APR... all on a SP. It becomes a HP if you go forward with the app. They told me I could borrow up to 13k at 15.9% over 3 years with scores similar to yours. That's way lower than any of my cards.  

15.9% is very high for a loan, plus BestEgg, Prosper, etc... usually charge origination fees, often around $1,000 on a $15,000 loan.  

NASA and their 7.9% for life may be an option - my scores weren't much higher and I got a $15k SL, meanwhile my wife's scores were about 80 points higher and she got $1,000, although with a lower purchase APR.  I don't know that the usual players (and I can't remember what's in MLF's wallet) - Citi Diamond Preferred, Chase Slate, Discover it, BOA BankAmericard would be approved with any reasonable limit.

Message 39 of 59
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I get offers for consolidation loans all the time. Unfortunately, the interest they charge is not helful at all. Its not going to do much good if I increase my outgoing expenses but have 1 payment. If it was only a couple thousand that would be one thing but I have 20K I need to reduce as much as possible. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 40 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.