Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Valued Contributor

Re: Thinking of cold apping AMEX

s1nful0ne wrote:

MyLoFICO wrote:

I have been turned down in the past for Amex. I have app'd for the Delta Skymiles, PRG and a business card. My inquiries are as follows for those app dates. 

12-2015 Score unknown - PRG I think.

2-2016 EXP 639 - Sky Miles

4-2016 EXP 661 - Business Card

In a few days my UTIL will dip below 30% to about 27% and my score will likely get a pretty good bump above 700. This is a permanent drop, not from like a BT or anything. Scores and Inq's in signature are accurate. See below if you can't see my siggy.

When this happens I am thinking of cold apping AMEX since I don't have any pre-qualified offers from any card company at all. I wonder if my number of store cards (11) is going to be a deal breaker after reading some of the stories here though. After 5-1-17 I will only have 1 inq out of all my reports combined under 12 months old. The "Seeking Credit" factor has dropped off all 3 according to CCT 3-score report. My charge off dropped of in February so that is gone. 

I really don't want to get declined for this because I will be leaving the garden for this and I am hyper sensitive to inquiries now that I have been in inquiry prison for a year. I need the Blue Cash or Blue Cash Preferred. But, I am not sure I want the Everyday Card and $500SL with 5 months thing like everyone is getting. I need a decent SL but its not a deal breaker as long as it gets me in the door. I need to know what my odds are. If you need more info, just say the word. According to CCT my last late was 30 months ago. I have goodwill letters out that could change that too. What should I do to improve my odds? 

Scores for those who can't see them. 

TCL 96k / UTIL 31%
Experian: 680 (24) | TransUnion: 698 (30) | Equifax: 680 (19)
Gardening as of: 8-14-2016
Updated 4-14-17

Well, whatever you decide to do I wish ya luck. I just closed on my home and decided to cold app for the AMEX ED before entering the Garden. Got a good offer via incognito, pulled the trigger, and was rewarded with a nice approval message. Only $1K SL, but an approval for me is better than a denial. Cheers!

See, that scares me. I don't even get offers via incognito, from anyone, anywhere. You did and only got 1k. Not saying its a bad limit, I just don't want to burn a HP for a card that I can't BT to because of its limit. I guess I will wait and see what tomorrow brings scorewise. 

TCL 100k / UTIL 25% = $25,510
Experian: 684 (34) | TransUnion: 701 (35) | Equifax: 704 (7)
Gardening as of: 6-1-2017
Updated 6-1-17
Valued Contributor

MyLoFICO wrote:

s1nful0ne wrote:

MyLoFICO wrote:

I have been turned down in the past for Amex. I have app'd for the Delta Skymiles, PRG and a business card. My inquiries are as follows for those app dates. 

In a few days my UTIL will dip below 30% to about 27% and my score will likely get a pretty good bump above 700. This is a permanent drop, not from like a BT or anything. Scores and Inq's in signature are accurate. See below if you can't see my siggy.

When this happens I am thinking of cold apping AMEX since I don't have any pre-qualified offers from any card company at all. I wonder if my number of store cards (11) is going to be a deal breaker after reading some of the stories here though. After 5-1-17 I will only have 1 inq out of all my reports combined under 12 months old. The "Seeking Credit" factor has dropped off all 3 according to CCT 3-score report. My charge off dropped of in February so that is gone. 

I really don't want to get declined for this because I will be leaving the garden for this and I am hyper sensitive to inquiries now that I have been in inquiry prison for a year. I need the Blue Cash or Blue Cash Preferred. But, I am not sure I want the Everyday Card and $500SL with 5 months thing like everyone is getting. I need a decent SL but its not a deal breaker as long as it gets me in the door. I need to know what my odds are. If you need more info, just say the word. According to CCT my last late was 30 months ago. I have goodwill letters out that could change that too. What should I do to improve my odds? 

TCL 96k / UTIL 31%
Updated 4-14-17

Well, whatever you decide to do I wish ya luck. I just closed on my home and decided to cold app for the AMEX ED before entering the Garden. Got a good offer via incognito, pulled the trigger, and was rewarded with a nice approval message. Only $1K SL, but an approval for me is better than a denial. Cheers!

See, that scares me. I don't even get offers via incognito, from anyone, anywhere. You did and only got 1k. Not saying its a bad limit, I just don't want to burn a HP for a card that I can't BT to because of its limit. I guess I will wait and see what tomorrow brings scorewise. 

What sort of CL are you hoping for, exactly? How much do you plan to BT?

CarefulBuilder14 had some trouble resetting his password.
Dabbling in SPG wizardry.
Valued Contributor

wasCB14 wrote:

MyLoFICO wrote:

s1nful0ne wrote:

MyLoFICO wrote:

TCL 96k / UTIL 31%
Updated 4-14-17

What sort of CL are you hoping for, exactly? How much do you plan to BT?

Ideally, 10k. I am not naive enough to think I will get that though. I would take the 1k obviously. It would still be my foot in the door. A low APR and 5k would make me giddy. But, knowing my luck, it will be max APR and $500 with the 6 month trial they are doing. Actually, I thoroughly expect to be denied. 

Updated 6-1-17
Valued Contributor

Yeah...I'm thinking denial or a toy limit.

Valued Contributor

wasCB14 wrote:

and I think I am over the "oh a new card!" feeling. That sucks, I really need a BT card with a low APR. I might have to hang in there until the end of the year and hope for better. 

Updated 6-1-17
Valued Contributor

MyLoFICO wrote:

wasCB14 wrote:

and I think I am over the "oh a new card!" feeling. That sucks, I really need a BT card with a low APR. I might have to hang in there until the end of the year and hope for better. 

Why not just get a BT card with a low APR? Amex isn't really known for the former, and generally reserves the latter for established low-risk customers.

Valued Contributor

I'm open to suggestions. I honestly have not found one that I feel like I could get.

Updated 6-1-17
Contributor

I know it's not revolving, but have you considered a debt consolidation loan? Best Egg I think it's called will tell you if you qualify, how much you can borrow and at what APR... all on a SP. It becomes a HP if you go forward with the app. They told me I could borrow up to 13k at 15.9% over 3 years with scores similar to yours. That's way lower than any of my cards. 

High scores: EQ-689 (5/5/17), TU-707 (5/5/17), EX-692 (5/5/17) GOAL: replacing 6s with 7s

Established Contributor

peking wrote:

I know it's not revolving, but have you considered a debt consolidation loan? Best Egg I think it's called will tell you if you qualify, how much you can borrow and at what APR... all on a SP. It becomes a HP if you go forward with the app. They told me I could borrow up to 13k at 15.9% over 3 years with scores similar to yours. That's way lower than any of my cards.  

15.9% is very high for a loan, plus BestEgg, Prosper, etc... usually charge origination fees, often around $1,000 on a $15,000 loan.  

NASA and their 7.9% for life may be an option - my scores weren't much higher and I got a $15k SL, meanwhile my wife's scores were about 80 points higher and she got $1,000, although with a lower purchase APR.  I don't know that the usual players (and I can't remember what's in MLF's wallet) - Citi Diamond Preferred, Chase Slate, Discover it, BOA BankAmericard would be approved with any reasonable limit.

400k+ club. | FICO 08 [June 2017]: EQ 745 EX 745 TU 735 | GPS Error: Unable to locate garden.
Valued Contributor

I get offers for consolidation loans all the time. Unfortunately, the interest they charge is not helful at all. Its not going to do much good if I increase my outgoing expenses but have 1 payment. If it was only a couple thousand that would be one thing but I have 20K I need to reduce as much as possible. 

Updated 6-1-17

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.