Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of getting a credit card

tag
Calculon
Valued Member

Thinking of getting a credit card

I was thinking of getting a credit card, but am unsure if I should or which to get should I do so.  I've always been a cash/debit card payer, but there's some things that make me think it's worth investigating whether I should get a credit card.  One, I miss out on all the cash back offers credit cards offer.   Second, I've had my debit card stolen a few times on line.  While I always got my money back, it just seems safer to me to have them stealing the credit card peoples money than my own.  Lastly, it would help build my credit score.  Not that I really need much credit, but you never know.

Until recently my credit score was zero.  I did get a loan last year to buy a car and I've made I think 10 payments on time, but that's the only thing on my report.   I own my house with no mortgage and have no other debt other than my car loan.  So with that situation, I'm trying to figure out if there's a good fit out there for me and whether I should.  I'd mainly use it like my debit card for stuff like gas, groceries and eating out.  I don't want to apply to a bunch and get regected.  Also likely complicating things is my job, which I've been at for 10+ years, is a tipping position and my income might look lower on papaer than it is in reality.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Thanks for any help.

QSD ITAMEXDCFRSM
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Re: Thinking of getting a credit card

First of all, congratulations on your excellent financial position. You seem to have your finances well in order and live within your means. Something most people who come here can't seem to do at first.

Others will be along shortly to recommend starter cards. The only thing I'll say is see if you can avoid starting with secured cards, although it wouldn't be bad if you did.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 2 of 16
Bobert22
Contributor

@Calculon wrote:

I was thinking of getting a credit card, but am unsure if I should or which to get should I do so.  I've always been a cash/debit card payer, but there's some things that make me think it's worth investigating whether I should get a credit card.  One, I miss out on all the cash back offers credit cards offer.   Second, I've had my debit card stolen a few times on line.  While I always got my money back, it just seems safer to me to have them stealing the credit card peoples money than my own.  Lastly, it would help build my credit score.  Not that I really need much credit, but you never know.

Until recently my credit score was zero.  I did get a loan last year to buy a car and I've made I think 10 payments on time, but that's the only thing on my report.   I own my house with no mortgage and have no other debt other than my car loan.  So with that situation, I'm trying to figure out if there's a good fit out there for me and whether I should.  I'd mainly use it like my debit card for stuff like gas, groceries and eating out.  I don't want to apply to a bunch and get regected.  Also likely complicating things is my job, which I've been at for 10+ years, is a tipping position and my income might look lower on papaer than it is in reality.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Thanks for any help.

Welcome to myFico forums!

Have you pulled your scores/credit reports? 

If so what are they? And what is your income like (estimate)?

The first thing I think you should do is visit the bank/Credit Union you do your banking with and ask what your options are for a credit card backed by them.

Also since you probably have a very thin credit profile, I suggest applying for a couple of store cards to build your credit history. Some suggestions would be Macy's, Walmart (the store card, not Discover), Kohls, etc. Then after 6 months to a year apply for a Captial One card.

Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)
Message 3 of 16
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

Might want to check your exact score here on myFico to get a better idea where to start, but without any other info, Capital One Cash Rewards might be a good starter card, based on advice I've heard.

Discover It would be a better option if you can get approved, and its worth a shot. But Captial One you should have no problem getting and it will give you a revovling credit history. So along with that, pick one retail card from a store you frequent often like amazon/bestbuy/gap.oldnavy.banrep/walmart. Apply for it and if approved you may get the full on visa/mastercard or just the retail specific store card. With two cards you should be good to start and then move on to something with more rewards later on. 

Message 4 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would say American Express Charge Card.

If you only 1 want card then a Visa/MasterCard might be safer bet... What bank do you currently use? same for auto loan? Maybe they are best bet if you want to keep everything easy to track and build relationship further...

Otherwise I would look at a couple months spending (if you happen to track currently, this would be easy insoftware) and pick your highest 2 spending categories and then go credit shopping to get the most out of those 2 spending categories... (exception in my mind would be if they are all close and we are not talking about thousands of dollars... if you are putting heavy amounts on then something more ALL purchases type rewards might work out better (back to my amex thought!)

Message 5 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Calculon wrote:

Welcome to the forums!!!!

I would recommend getting in with a local Credit Union and opening a secured card with them. Use can make deposits to up your CL and its a good way to get positive history for a year or so.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 16
Neat
Valued Member

+1

Amex Green, Signal FCU Platinum Visa, Navy FCU Cash Rewards Visa Sig., Citi Forward Visa, Barclaycard Apple Financing Visa
Message 7 of 16
Calculon
Valued Member

Thanks all for the replies.  I bank at a small bank that only has two or three branches that's owned by my employer.  That's where I got my car loan and to the best of my knowledge they don't offer any credit cards, though I can certainly call and ask.

My income looked pretty low last year, I think the $18K range on my tax return.  It's going to be bigger this year, around $22-24K.  My income looks low, but I don't have many bills either.

My looked at my score and it was 664 as of today, which puts me in the good section of the pie chart.  They said I should apply for the Chase Freedom, which was one recommened by someone else in my situation, along with the Amex Blue.

One last question, how do I opt out of the trial for the credit report?  I don't want to get charged $15 in two weeks.  Thanks again.

QSD ITAMEXDCFRSM
Message 8 of 16
Simply827
Established Contributor

@Calculon wrote:

Thanks all for the replies.  I bank at a small bank that only has two or three branches that's owned by my employer.  That's where I got my car loan and to the best of my knowledge they don't offer any credit cards, though I can certainly call and ask.

My income looked pretty low last year, I think the $18K range on my tax return.  It's going to be bigger this year, around $22-24K.  My income looks low, but I don't have many bills either.

My looked at my score and it was 664 as of today, which puts me in the good section of the pie chart.  They said I should apply for the Chase Freedom, which was one recommened by someone else in my situation, along with the Amex Blue.

One last question, how do I opt out of the trial for the credit report?  I don't want to get charged $15 in two weeks.  Thanks again.

I highly doubt you'll get approved with  Chase without any revolving credit experience. They typically like to see at least one year of history on a credit card.

Call 1-800-319-4433 to cancel ScoreWatch trial

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 9 of 16
Calculon
Valued Member

I was thinking about calling Chase to discuss whether I should apply for a card.  I don't want to apply and get turned down.  Is there a good number to do it?

QSD ITAMEXDCFRSM
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.