Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of going into garden

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Thinking of going into garden

So far this year I have two new accounts both with chase an ink plus (60 days ago) and chase personal marriot (30) days ago. No other inqs in the past six months.  I will have some citi apps (like one or two but they will not occur until July or Aug. I want to pick up the discover it card. Basically I am trying to decide if I should go for it now and then garden for the next four months or if I should go straight into garden and spree in the summer for the citi and discover cards all at once. I doubt I would trigger AA with another app, but given how chase has been lately and the fact I have two new accounts with them I am wondering if letting the dust settle might be the way to go. The benefit to getting the discover now is I can start building the relationship and the credit line for some future large purchases I want to make. Just curious what most people would do in this fact pattern. Garden or app?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Thinking of going into garden

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you're only gardening for four months you may as well just wait. can't hurt...

don't worry about the chase thing IMO. you aren't too aggressive of an apper based on what you post here.
Message 3 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you are thinking it's time to garden, then most of the time that instinct is correct. It can never hurt to wait. As xterror said it's only 4 months anyway. Discover isn't going anywhere. You can build the relationship with Discover just fine if you app later in the year. Makes no difference.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They'll leave the light on for ya.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Garden!

Message 6 of 11
EdMan63
Established Contributor

I'm with the others. It can never hurt to garden. I'm debating a Discover card myself but I won't do another app until all my reports are 100% clean so June at the earliest for me. I've gotten tons of mailers from Discover with the invitations expiring in Sept so the current offers arent going anywhere soon. 

Message 7 of 11
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Come join me in the garden.

I'm halfway to passing Chase's 5/24 test...

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

Ok. I'm going to go into the garden. I'm not sure for how long yet. Likely at least four months, unless some amazing signup offer pops up. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

the garden is welcoming but it's not really "gardening" if you're just waiting for the next spend bonus. that's just "waiting for more opportunities"
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.