Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinning the herd 2017 part 1

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Thinning the herd 2017 part 1

Closed Barclays Choice Hotels $4800 (BoA Travel card replaced any need for this one)

Closed Discover Miles IT Card $3500 (fairly new card, but the low limit makes it useless as a travel card) Kept my regular $20k CL Discover IT which I find very useful. 

Part two maybe in June or July will be Diners Club ($20k), Cabella's ($15k) Chase FU $10k which will still leave me 20+ cards and over $300k in CL

I don't want to close too many too fast - might spook my other lenders. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thinning the herd 2017 part 1

Congrats on trimming the fat!
Message 2 of 10
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Congrats on simplifying! 

I've also been simplifying my portfolio. I will also do another round of closures soon. 

Just a thought, we're you not able to move some of the minute from Discover Miles to Discover IT? I don't know if Discover does this or not, but I was just curious. 

Congrats again!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 3 of 10
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

Closed Barclays Choice Hotels $4800 (BoA Travel card replaced any need for this one)

Closed Discover Miles IT Card $3500 (fairly new card, but the low limit makes it useless as a travel card) Kept my regular $20k CL Discover IT which I find very useful. 

Part two maybe in June or July will be Diners Club ($20k), Cabella's ($15k) Chase FU $10k which will still leave me 20+ cards and over $300k in CL

Yeah, this is not thinning the herd. it's more like cutting the lawn with nailclippers. good start though!

Message 4 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Good start on focusing in on the cards we can scale back and freeing the card lineup from those that have served their purpose enough.

I just opened a similar topic on a similar plan to hopefully be fully completed by 2018.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

Congrats on simplifying. I too have been thinking about cutting back a little bit. I think I have like 15 open accounts between major CC and store cards. I'm sure your income and spending support the amount that you have but at my level, I think I'll do better if I simplify a little bit.

Again good job, and good luck!

Message 6 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Nice going pipeguySmiley Happy. I too am curious that you could not move the Disco limits or was it because the card wasnt a year old?
Message 7 of 10
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Personally, with VantageScore 4 due to roll out, I think cutting back is a good idea.

Machine learning can be your buddy or your nightmare! From what I have read about this, it will look at historical data and make future predictions. Scary stuff.

More AA to come.  Smiley Mad

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 8 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

Personally, with VantageScore 4 due to roll out, I think cutting back is a good idea.

Machine learning can be your buddy or your nightmare! From what I have read about this, it will look at historical data and make future predictions. Scary stuff.

More AA to come.  Smiley Mad

I don't really care about VantageScore - none of my cards use it and my FICO scores are strong enough. I'm basically looking are cards I know I will never use again, unless I just want to keep them active (no need) and closing out the clutter. I was looking over my remaing 22 cards, and I can make a case for keeping each, but really I only "need" 3 or 4 and say a $100k CL, but I'm not going that far Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Nice going pipeguySmiley Happy. I too am curious that you could not move the Disco limits or was it because the card wasnt a year old?

It wasn't a year old yet, but I didn't even ask - My regular Discover card is at a $20k CL and that's more than enough for my needs. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.