cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is kind of strange...Cap One is still reporting my account as open on credit reports?

tag
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

This is kind of strange...Cap One is still reporting my account as open on credit reports?

So, I cancelled my Capital One Secured card at the end of February and it still reports as open to all the credit bureaus. Is this a typical thing? My card is cut up, my deposit has been returned, so I'm not really worried about charges. How does this affect how other creditors look at me? I understand that tradelines stay on for 10 years.
Walmart Store Card: $600 & Amazon Store Card: $1200
Amazon.com Visa: $500 & Chase Freedom: $3000
US Bank REI Visa Signature: $5500
Discover It: $100

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: This is kind of strange...Cap One is still reporting my account as open on credit reports?

@Dreamwalker wrote:
So, I cancelled my Capital One Secured card at the end of February and it still reports as open to all the credit bureaus. Is this a typical thing? My card is cut up, my deposit has been returned, so I'm not really worried about charges. How does this affect how other creditors look at me? I understand that tradelines stay on for 10 years.

If it's at zero balance and it's garnering pretty little OK's in payment history, it's nothing but goodness Smiley Happy.

As long as the account is closed, and you're not going to get dinged with an unexpected AF at some point, I'd simply sit quietly and take however long they would allow this oversight to run as an extra bonus.  Thank you sir, may I have another? Cat Tongue

        
Message 2 of 13
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

Re: This is kind of strange...Cap One is still reporting my account as open on credit reports?

As long as no one thinks it odd that I have a $351 credit limit, why not?

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 3 of 13
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@Dreamwalker wrote:

As long as no one thinks it odd that I have a $351 credit limit, why not?

Even when it reports closed the $351 limit will show.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 4 of 13
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@Dreamwalker wrote:

same here...I closed my Best Buy Rewards Zone MC (300 limit). back in November of last year and it wasnt until this month that it finally reported as "closed". Was about to call them again so it may be typical of Cap One to do this.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 5 of 13
Paperboy999
Contributor

How long did it take you to get your deposit back? I just closed mine last week and I was curious.
11/09 EX 564
10/12 EX 673 TU 674
1/13 TU 686
2/13 EX 701
Goal 750+
Message 6 of 13
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

I closed my secured Cap One about 2 weeks ago and it's already showing as closed.

Message 7 of 13
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

I closed a Cap1 somewhere around 1998. It's been showing as open/current ever since. Somewhere in the fine print notes it states inactive. I've been doing some post-BK CR cleanup, and in the process it finally dropped off TU and EQ, but not EX. My oldest account on TU and EQ is 3 mos., on EX it's 19 yrs. Doesn't appear to be helping my scores any, EX is about 50 points lower than the other two.

A bit off-topic, but I thought it might be interesting.

Message 8 of 13
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

@Paperboy999 wrote:
How long did it take you to get your deposit back? I just closed mine last week and I was curious.

When I called to cancel I was told that I had to wait for any additional charges to come through (about 7 days), and at that point could either wait 30 days for them to mail it, or call them again after the account was closed and have them 'rush it' in which case it would be to me in 7-14 days.

From start to finish, it took about two weeks.

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 9 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Countingpennies wrote:
I closed a Cap1 somewhere around 1998. It's been showing as open/current ever since. Somewhere in the fine print notes it states inactive. I've been doing some post-BK CR cleanup, and in the process it finally dropped off TU and EQ, but not EX. My oldest account on TU and EQ is 3 mos., on EX it's 19 yrs. Doesn't appear to be helping my scores any, EX is about 50 points lower than the other two.

A bit off-topic, but I thought it might be interesting.

It's near impossible to get a EX FICO now without a lender pull.  Depending where you got your score from, may not mean much; however, Inactive tradelines tend not to get counted so you're likely correct in stating it's not helping.  

The neat trick would be if you could get it active somehow, now that would be credit recovery with style!

        
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.