Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is not a joke- BOA issuing cards to illegal aliens

tag
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: This is not a joke- BOA issuing cards to illegal aliens

I am a legal immigrant. I have stood in line for 3.5 years and got my green card. When I arrived due to some bureaucratic issue I could not get my SSN for 6 weeks. Bank of America refused to make any business with me till I get SSN.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 21 of 62
dizzier
Established Contributor

@wmarat wrote:
I am a legal immigrant. I have stood in line for 3.5 years and got my green card. When I arrived due to some bureaucratic issue I could not get my SSN for 6 weeks. Bank of America refused to make any business with me till I get SSN.

this goes right to the heart of the problem! 3.5 years in line to get a green card only to get here and still get screwed! people who are desperate to come here because their lives are in danger or they are starving may not have 3.5 years.

and people wonder why folks circumvent the system and come here illegally?

here you have someone who is here legally that is continuously being screwed! there is a larger problem here than people jumping borders.

we ought to be asking why this happens instead of casting stones!

any for those of you who say "i'm not racist but" how many of you would assume that this poster was an illegal simply off sight?

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 22 of 62
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I agree with you and do not agree. I understand people who came here illegally and majority of the illegals do not have a luxury of waiting 3-7 years to get visa. USA is known for its incredible bureaucratism. At the same time, if we want to maintain normal society we have to live by law even if a law sometimes, let's say, does not make sence.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 23 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

dizzier wrote:
it's a matter of how much money do you have to bribe the immigration officer
in my view mexicans have every right to be here. we STOLE half their country!
with lines like "learn english" you are only confirming your prejudice!
things did not fall apart after slavery because the system was *immediately replaced* by sharecroppers and immigrant labors (both of which were de facto forms of slavery).

If you're pointing out other flaws in the system, I'm not disagreeing. But the right thing ain't doing the wrong thing no matter how it makes you feel. Assuming the bribing of INS officials were necessary, and I know a number of people who've come to the U.S. in recent years and there wasn't any payola exchanged, that would end if Immigration opened up the number of slots each year to do the jobs Americans won't do.

Who is "we" and "they"? England, France, Spain and Portugal conquered the Americas. England (America) fought with Spain (Mexico) for the southwest. They weren't fighting original inhabitants for their land. It was conquerors fighting conquerors--America and Mexico--who'd thrown off their original masters--England and Spain.

Portugal got Brazil. France got Quebec. England got America and most of Canada. Spain got everything else.

Spare me any of the nonsense I sometimes hear about the Indians feeling a kindred spirit with the Spanish that they never felt with the English. Horsepoop. The Spanish were the most successful conquerors in the New World and just as brutal the rest. It's the history of the world--not evil America.

America is the only country without an official language. Our de facto official language is English, but it ain't law. It is in every other country, and a common language unifies a people. Learn English ain't racist or prejudiced. It's practical, sound advice. I lived in Miami for a year, and I got by on English just fine. If you only know Spanish, even in Miami, you are confining yourself economically. If English were the official language, then resources could go into educating people. DW and I had a number of friends with relatives who would refuse to speak English, and they would refuse to speak Spanish to force them to speak English. My anecdotal observations told me that most immigrants who come here want to learn English and they want their fellow immigrants to learn English.

There's always going to be some form of exploitation. Things don't conclude with a perfect ending the first time out. Jefferson struggled with whether to include racial equality in the Constitution, but he feared the revolution might fall apart.

The point you seemed to have missed is that with the immigrant worker issue, we are yet again hearing the battle cry of "But the economy will collapse without these illegal, underpaid, exploited workers." Do you mean to say that you're advocating we continue using exploited workers?

Message 24 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

dizzier wrote:
"Are you frickin kidding me? This thread will prob. be closed by the mods but I need to say my peace. This thread is about ILLEGAL immigration and banks choosing to advocate ILLEGAL immigration by targeting ILLEGAL immigrants and offering secured cards w/o proper identification while LEGAL Americans must apply w/ a Social Security number..."

Noah you have clearly missed something.

Please at least try to attribute to me only that which I said.

Message 25 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:

dizzier wrote:
"Are you frickin kidding me? This thread will prob. be closed by the mods but I need to say my peace. This thread is about ILLEGAL immigration and banks choosing to advocate ILLEGAL immigration by targeting ILLEGAL immigrants and offering secured cards w/o proper identification while LEGAL Americans must apply w/ a Social Security number..."

Noah you have clearly missed something.

Please at least try to attribute to me only that which I said.

Noah didn't write that. Dizzier didn't write that. I wrote it.
Netpanther.
Message 26 of 62
lawdog55
Established Member

I love this thread; I think discussions spur growth... 

Personally I can't fault any man or woman willing to do what it takes to support their family.  I would like to think that I'd do the same thing...

But how exactly does an 'illegal' get a credit card without an SSN???   Is this story legit???  Has it been reported on by a reputable news source???  I don't have the 99/500 card but doesn't the application require you to have a social?

I just don't understand the logistics of how a bank issues a personal credit card without an SSN.

Message 27 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

To anyone who thinks we do NOT have a political forum on this site ...
Message 28 of 62
cgmiller63
Contributor

This has been going on for some time.  The banks will issue a low credit line/high interest credit card to the illegal aliens using a Tax ID Number.  I don't know how illegal aliens are able to purchase homes with out SS numbers either, but they do. Let one of us go to the bank and ask for a home loan or credit card without a social security number….you’ll see how fast they turn us down.

By the way, I am a naturalized American citizen who emigrated here from Mexico and am completely against people being here illegally. I live in Southern California and see first hand the effects of illegal immigration. The “jobs Americans won’t do” are actually the “jobs Americans won’t do at the current wages.”  

I’ll get off my soap box now……

Message 29 of 62
tknkrov
Contributor

Well put Noah especially about the language issue.
Message 30 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.