Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is not a joke- BOA issuing cards to illegal aliens

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: This is not a joke- BOA issuing cards to illegal aliens

Noah_Bodie wrote:
To anyone who thinks we do NOT have a political forum on this site ...

Smiley Very Happy

Message 31 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Ladies and Gents,

I'm not going to lock this thread, but I do request contributors refrain from making remarks about racial or ethnic groups. To discuss immigration from a political perspective is acceptable; to state certain racial or ethnic groups "don't belong" or are more prone to commit evil acts than others is not acceptable and will result in this thread being closed and formal warnings handed out to offending posters.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TheNewWorldMan

(your friendly neighborhood mod)
Message 32 of 62
dizzier
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dizzier wrote:
it's a matter of how much money do you have to bribe the immigration officer
in my view mexicans have every right to be here. we STOLE half their country!
with lines like "learn english" you are only confirming your prejudice!
things did not fall apart after slavery because the system was *immediately replaced* by sharecroppers and immigrant labors (both of which were de facto forms of slavery).

If you're pointing out other flaws in the system, I'm not disagreeing. But the right thing ain't doing the wrong thing no matter how it makes you feel. Assuming the bribing of INS officials were necessary, and I know a number of people who've come to the U.S. in recent years and there wasn't any payola exchanged, that would end if Immigration opened up the number of slots each year to do the jobs Americans won't do.
Who is "we" and "they"? England, France, Spain and Portugal conquered the Americas. England (America) fought with Spain (Mexico) for the southwest. They weren't fighting original inhabitants for their land. It was conquerors fighting conquerors--America and Mexico--who'd thrown off their original masters--England and Spain.
Portugal got Brazil. France got Quebec. England got America and most of Canada. Spain got everything else.
Spare me any of the nonsense I sometimes hear about the Indians feeling a kindred spirit with the Spanish that they never felt with the English. Horsepoop. The Spanish were the most successful conquerors in the New World and just as brutal the rest. It's the history of the world--not evil America.
America is the only country without an official language. Our de facto official language is English, but it ain't law. It is in every other country, and a common language unifies a people. Learn English ain't racist or prejudiced. It's practical, sound advice. I lived in Miami for a year, and I got by on English just fine. If you only know Spanish, even in Miami, you are confining yourself economically. If English were the official language, then resources could go into educating people. DW and I had a number of friends with relatives who would refuse to speak English, and they would refuse to speak Spanish to force them to speak English. My anecdotal observations told me that most immigrants who come here want to learn English and they want their fellow immigrants to learn English.
There's always going to be some form of exploitation. Things don't conclude with a perfect ending the first time out. Jefferson struggled with whether to include racial equality in the Constitution, but he feared the revolution might fall apart.
The point you seemed to have missed is that with the immigrant worker issue, we are yet again hearing the battle cry of "But the economy will collapse without these illegal, underpaid, exploited workers." Do you mean to say that you're advocating we continue using exploited workers?

the we and they refers to Americans and Europeans. A few white guys sitting around a table carving up a continent does not translate into the rank and file wanting to leave their homes and everything else that they fought for for any number of generations. We are all implicated in the actions of our government and the fact that we let it happen and continue to elect people who are not sympathetic to a real solution (not a wall across our borders) just further implicates us in this nasty business.

i'm not advocating for the continues use and exploitation of immigrants. the fact of the matter is that we have been exploiting them for almost 400 years and we continue to exploit them or someone else. over these 100s of years of xenophobic citizens declaring that immigrants are ruining america it has not yet been ruined (see the similarities?).

america is not going to magically stop exploiting people, illegal immigrants or otherwise. there is always going to be someone "taking our jobs". blocking this country off from illegal immigrants is not going to change that. none of these elected officials are going to do anything to bring this to an end because it's just too profitable for their constituency.

as for the "learn english" prejudice. there is a big difference in saying "you really ought to learn english as it will help you move through society and advance at a greater pace" versus "LEARN ENGLISH". the latter is prejudice, and former is helpful advice.

sorry for the mis-attribution of that quote

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 33 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dizzier wrote:

in my view mexicans have every right to be here. we STOLE half their country! Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California... that did not belong to us!

Let's review the entire history of that.

Mexico wasn't even a country prior to Spanish colonization...the Aztecs were the closest thing to a national government, but even they were far from controlling the entire nation. The Aztecs had some great engineering achievements...and human sacrifice. The Spanish came along, and killed some of them.

Smallpox the Spanish unwittingly brought felled far more Aztecs than Spanish guns and swords. How else do you suppose an invading army numbering less than a thousand managed to subdue millions of people? Firearms of the 16th century were notoriously inefficient...we're not even talking semi-automatic cartridge-based weapons, and certainly none of the Gatling guns that finished off the Plains Indians in America. No, we're talking about black-powder muzzle-loaders with a ROF of about once every thirty seconds (under optimum conditions!), and an effective range of maybe fifty to seventy yards, along with a handful of cannon that were slower still and prone to blowing themselves and their handlers up along with the enemy.

If not for smallpox, the Conquistadors would have been a footnote of history.

The Spanish conquerors made Mexico into a federal nation-state, and the Spanish and Native Americans therein came to be known as Mexicans. As part of the overall jockeying for land and power that was common during the colonial era, the Mexicans (not just the indigenous people, but the Spanish conquerors) and Americans got into a war which Mexico (read: Spain) lost. It wasn't a racial war, or even a war of conquerors versus indigenous peoples. It was two colonial powers at war.
Message 34 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did a statement about credit cards turn into a history lesson?Smiley Surprised This is a "no brainer".  We are NOT talking about all immigrants, only illegal ones. What don't some of you get about that?  If something isn't done about the flow of illegal aliens into this country, esp, on the California/Texas/Arizona side, the mess is going to be too big to clean up after a while!

Also, not everyone who comes into this country is a "hard working immigrant" that wants a better life.
Lots and lots of hard core criminals steal in, too.  Fugitives fleeing their own countries for fear of prosecution, gangs, drug dealers like the Mexican Mafia, murderers, pedophiles and rapists.  Do we really need MORE of these types of people?  Noooooooooooooooooo!

Anyone with one brain cell knows we need some sort of dire immigration control and if you are in this country illegally, regardless of the circumstances, you are a criminal!  I know a Filipino family whose relatives waited 4 years to come here legally!  The Phillippines is a very poor country but they knew if they did things right, they would never have to hide from authorities or cheat and steal.

Some people just don't get it...
Message 35 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I think we should all meet at the tea room in the antique mall, and the guys can talk about football and stuff like that, and the ladies can discuss the latest fashion trends.

How's that for promoting goodwill to all. Smiley Happy
Message 36 of 62
rudy
Regular Contributor

I really do not have anything to say about a person citizenship. However, if they can get credit let them have it.
Message 37 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

dizzier wrote:

A few white guys sitting around a table carving up a continent
we let it happen
america is not going to magically stop exploiting people
there is a big difference in saying "you really ought to learn english as it will help you move through society and advance at a greater pace" versus "LEARN ENGLISH".

Umm, the European conquerors did some carving, but it wasn't around a table and it was often one another. If France had been a more successful conqueror, we'd all be speaking French right now--or perhaps German Smiley Wink

We let it happen? I let Columbus come over? Was I also culpable for Wounded Knee? I have often told people that Oswald shooting Kennedy was a relatively easy shot and that I could probably manage it--but I have pretty rock solid alibi for that day.

History of the world, not just America or Europe, is conquest and exploitation. It's been going on since the days of Rome, Greece, and before. And even the Indians engaged in the conquest, slaughter and exploitation of one another. This romantic mythology about the continents earliest settlers really must stop.

So the guy who yammers on ad nauseum cares, but the person who expresses the same sentiment but in fewer words doesn't? Hmmmm. OK, maybe I'm starting to track.

Message 38 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its been noted that some think that illegals coming here should just be winked at...However, it becomes every American citizen concern when they work hard and have to be taxed for those that cheated their way through our borders...It will always be a concern in my book..Doesnt matter how much its said they come here to make a better lifestyle for themselves and family..I get that...BUT...do it Legally..Try paying for 11 million children you didnt birth no different...IMO....BOA and the like will get what they deserve for allowing this..
Message 39 of 62
lawdog55
Established Member

Everyone is so outraged at illegal immigration and its effects.  I'm outraged at the prevalence of outsourcing with American companies.  I'm angry that the us gov't allows companies to take advantage of tax loopholes which is estimated to cost the gov't $40 billion a year in lost taxes.  I'm guessing we could use that $40 billion for something.  And that doesn't include the lost wages to americans and its potential effects on the economy.

Outsourcing is an example greed; billion dollar companies making more billions... Illegal Immigration involves a man or woman making a better life for themselves...  its wrong, but I understand it...

For everyone boycotting BOA, where's the boycot for every other bank, cc company, drug company, etc that are outsourcing.  The effects are equally devastating...

Its ok for the rich to get richer but we draw the line at poor people making a life for themselves... How dare they try to support their family, shame on them..
Message 40 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.