Did you mean: 

This is why you should always use a credit card, never debit for charges

tag
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

Re: This is why you should always use a credit card, never debit for charges

@Anonymous wrote:

@PDXoriginal wrote:

Went for my usual morning espresso, every thing seemed fine until I drove off and got a large purchase alert from Amex. Opened the app to find this!

It is obvious the person entered the wrong amount, thankfully they voided the purchase without any fuss. Normally I never had a problem with Square payments, but this place doesn't get a signature from purchasers so you can't really verify until you get the email receipt.

Talk about the most expensive coffee ever!

Can't see the pic.  So, did the coffee ended up being free or what?

No. But the coffee was elebenty million dollars.  Actually $7503.50.  Close to elebenty million.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 11 of 28
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Eek! That's a hefty charge!

Though I don't quite understand what the difference between credit and debit would be in this situation Smiley Tongue

Imagine you wrote a bunch of checks to pay your mortgage, utility bills and credit cards and they were due to clear on the next day or two, you used your debit card to pay for coffee at Starbucks and the clerk made a mistake by entering the wrong amount; such a mistake will cause you a big disaster plus Hundreds of dollars in fees and you have to wait for days to get that money credited back to your checking account.

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Also...10k in a checking account? Eeek.

10k checking?  In the MyFico forum, that's how we roll... LOL!

Message 13 of 28
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

That looks like three mistakes. I can see fat fingering one number but this takes that to a new level

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 14 of 28
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Though I don't quite understand what the difference between credit and debit would be in this situation Smiley Tongue

The biggest difference, I think, is when using a debit card they are playing with your money which, in this situation, could potentially turn into a disaster that could take days to straighten out.

With a credit card, it's the banks money in question, not yours. So not a big deal to you, the consumer.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 15 of 28
yfan
Valued Contributor

I've recently signed up for a checking account with a credit union that gives 3%+ interest, with the catch being you have to swipe their debit card at least 12 times a month - as a check card transaction, not ATM/pin. Luckily, I have a 24 hour grocery store close to me where I can pick up little things in smaller chunks I'd get anyway, and they have self checkout I'm the one looking at my transactions. Still I watch my account like a hawk.

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

I've recently signed up for a checking account with a credit union that gives 3%+ interest, with the catch being you have to swipe their debit card at least 12 times a month - as a check card transaction, not ATM/pin. Luckily, I have a 24 hour grocery store close to me where I can pick up little things in smaller chunks I'd get anyway, and they have self checkout I'm the one looking at my transactions. Still I watch my account like a hawk.

There is also buying Amazon gift cards, in 5 minutes, and $6 in Amazon credit, you are done for the month...

Message 17 of 28
yfan
Valued Contributor

I like how you think!
Message 18 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@peaceonearth wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Imagine you wrote a bunch of checks to pay your mortgage, utility bills and credit cards and they were due to clear on the next day or two, you used your debit card to pay for coffee at Starbucks and the clerk made a mistake by entering the wrong amount; such a mistake will cause you a big disaster plus Hundreds of dollars in fees and you have to wait for days to get that money credited back to your checking account.

Right, but people also have recurring charges charged to their credit card, and you can get in to part of the same trouble, charges fail because it exceeds your CL, creditors charge penalties, and maybe at first issuer takes AA because of the failed charges.   The money isn't gone from your bank account, but it's not harmless.

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@peaceonearth wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Right, but people also have recurring charges charged to their credit card, and you can get in to part of the same trouble, charges fail because it exceeds your CL, creditors charge penalties, and maybe at first issuer takes AA because of the failed charges.   The money isn't gone from your bank account, but it's not harmless.

Which reinforces your own concept of using specialized cards for categories of spending.  If you do that, then the card you would use for coffee would have nothing to do with the card that pays your utilities.  

It's nice how Longtimelurker usually gives the problem AND the solution to many an issue...

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.