cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This whole 'gardening' thing is virtually impossible...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: This whole 'gardening' thing is virtually impossible...

@Anonymous wrote:

It's really up to you. If you are responsible financially and can manage to stay debt free with 30 credit cards and you can keep up with it all then you can go ahead and app for cards you need. But like some others have said gardening will help you get much higher limits and the lowest APR and it will allow you to focus on growing your relationship with lenders instead of constantly going to new ones. Really it comes down to what works for you! If you decide to come to the garden club we will welcome you with open arms Smiley Happy

And don't forget baller4life is handing out hoes for everyone who gardens!

I agree applurker. It's a personal choice. See you next year!!!

Message 51 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I suppose it is worth noting that the enforcers haven't been doing the best job, what with Nixon and Pizza1 creating new tunnels out of the garden every day. 

Don't follow them down the rabbit hole! Lol!

Message 52 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you wanna churn & burn sign up bonuses, more power to you. Different strokes for different folks.

But I will say this. The garden is always there for you to come back if you so choose to. Smiley Wink

I need to head into the garden. What I'm trying to tell myself is...not only will the garden always be there, so will those signing bonuses and various cards that might seem alluring. I got what I need. My spree over the past week since finding the forum has netted me the pieces I need to maximize my rewards in the categories that are most important/beneficial to me and broght my overall utilization from 52% to 30%. I don't need anything more. 

There are two things that keep pulling at me just because I know they're out there and I don't have them. BUT I DON'T NEED THEM. And if they keep pulling at me, then I can revisit later. The likelihood is they're not going anywhere and if they do...I'll be JUST fine. 

This is me...heading to the garden...here I go...starting to walk that way...I should be there...in. just. a little. bit. 

Good luck gardening!!! I like the way you think!!! Recognizing needs vs wants is always a good thing. 

Message 53 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

BT90138016 wrote:

Kostya1992 wrote:
Gardening is only a concept. In the real world if you need a card you just apply for it. Gardening is for those who want to start with fat limits and low apr. Want your Chase Freedom with $500CL and 22.9%APR? Go ahead and pull the trigger.

I'm gardening to be able to get better cards. I once had cards earlier in life and didn't understand them and wasn't making enough money to support them. I maxed them out and couldn't pay them(of course I was 18-19 with no experience), they went into collections/charge-offs and my credit was screwed for 7 years. Now I'm building my card wallet and I have some sub prime cards that I'm working to replace with cards from prime institutions. I honestly had no idea how important revolving credit was before I got my cards. Before that I was having a hard time being approved for car loans and the ones I was getting approved for was higher interest. Who knew!!!(everyone but me I guess lol!!!)

You weren't the only one. Welcome to myFICO. See you around town!

Message 54 of 74
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Congrats your nice card selection! .. YES gardening is hard but look at the bright side...it gets easier and easier with some practice Smiley Very Happy   ps: it's my 4th attempt to pass the Golden spade and I truly hope I can do it this time Smiley Embarassed

Golden spade is how long? I don't even garden officially, I just garden myself with no little images or recognition. Easy apps with high SL's is reward enough for my hard work in the garden lol.

It is 6 months. The main reason probably I got weak after that period  is because I set myself the minimum limit to not add any new accounts in less than 6 months..so minimum goal reached = tempted = app .. oh well I do not regret anything as I like all my cards and every one was worth apping for. ... Well maybe not the Perks+Smiley Embarassed but I had to go that route as I am not allowed to app for Cash+ and try now my way to get that Cash+ on my wishlist  with a small detour. Not sure about the outcome but worth a try IMO.  Otherwise I am very stubborn with my apps and only app or take offers from cards that I really want to keep long term.  Until this day I do not have any closed cards on my file.  My file has only the cards in my signature and noting else.

Lol LG, you make me laugh. Don't regret anything! Why waste the mind energy regretting? Simply move on and improve! Smiley Happy 

I also don't have any closed cards but this Secured Cap 1 card is really asking for it lol. I think you should go a year and see how you feel after that! With all those good cards asking to get used, it will let the auto-CLI's flow in your direction! Smiley Happy 

Good luck either way!

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 55 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jbsea wrote:

I agree this is hard!!!!!!!!  But so far all the advice I have received on these forumes have been perfect.  But on the other hand reading everyones approvals and thinking "my score should get me that card" is hard to not try.  I'm thinking of leaving hear till I'm ready to app for something.  Being here is just like waving candy in frount of a babySmiley Sad

I agree. Sometimes you have to step away. Good luck!!!

Message 56 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It isn't impossible but being on this site can make it difficult if you aren't that disciplined and snatch up cards just bc everyone else does. Smiley Happy I hang around the garden more so bc I like the atmosphere than the actual concept of gardening. It doesn't apply to every individual situation. If your profile is strong enough, you aren't in debt up to your neck and do a good job of managing credit responsibly then I don't see why a person can't pick up a new card or bonus if it fits their needs without being chastised or attacked by ninja squirrels. Smiley Tongue Life happens. I can say I'll be there for six months but then a card catches my eye that would really benefit me and that plan is shot. Taking it one day at a time is better for me than worrying about it daily. Smiley Very Happy

Sound advice.

Message 57 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you wanna churn & burn sign up bonuses, more power to you. Different strokes for different folks.

But I will say this. The garden is always there for you to come back if you so choose to. Smiley Wink

I need to head into the garden. What I'm trying to tell myself is...not only will the garden always be there, so will those signing bonuses and various cards that might seem alluring. I got what I need. My spree over the past week since finding the forum has netted me the pieces I need to maximize my rewards in the categories that are most important/beneficial to me and broght my overall utilization from 52% to 30%. I don't need anything more. 

There are two things that keep pulling at me just because I know they're out there and I don't have them. BUT I DON'T NEED THEM. And if they keep pulling at me, then I can revisit later. The likelihood is they're not going anywhere and if they do...I'll be JUST fine. 

This is me...heading to the garden...here I go...starting to walk that way...I should be there...in. just. a little. bit. 

Oops! My sincerest apologies! I totally misread your original post. My bad.

But yes! +1000 on this reply. You know what's up. The garden will always be there. The sign up bonuses will always be there. In fact, you might come across a better sign up bonus than the one leering at you right now, in say 4-6 months. Who knows? Maybe you'll even find a better card than the one you want right now. 6 months into gardening, I changed my whole gameplan up. What I thought I wanted was traded in for something bigger and better.

Get your butt to the garden and I look forward to seeing you there! Smiley Happy Heart

Heart

Message 58 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

Im coming from a different angle... I have had zero credit... Fortunately I apped for a card from a CU.. and it was NOT secured.....

That said. I started off quite well.. And other than offers and the desire for a second card.. it has a nice APR, it has a decent limit,  Just waiting to generate a store made me anxious to leave the garden.. But I jumped the shark and got bit by Discover.. Actually would have gotten the card if i was a student, due to their new account scoring.. but I didn't want to co-app.. Seeing people with 500$ limits and 21 and up APR's... And knowing some cards have no mobility in CL's/APRs/etc... Keep looking at what i have and go.. Having a single digit APR and no frills, works well for me.. Though id like a rewards card to use as a charge card.. Just feel disenchanted seeing whats avalible.. 

-J

I love my BOA Cash Rewards and Citibank DC credit cards. I'm very conservative with credit so don't need a lot of bells and whisteles. I started out with a Cl of $800 with BOA and within 5 months I got it increased to 6K. The only negative, for me, with BOA is that they HP every time you request a CLI. Plus, you earn an additional 10% cash back if you deposit your rewards into a BOA account.

Citibank has been good to me. My DC is the second card I app'd for with them. I started with $2600 and now it's a 8K. I got that CLI within 3 months of having the card. I hope this helps. Good luck on your credit journey!!! 

Message 59 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JSS3 wrote:

Last app was Nov '14. I have to garden until Nov '15. I count the days and watch the clock. Feels like I'm doing time.

If you can try and find something else to occupy your time. Good luck gardening!!!

Message 60 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.