Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Those that carry CC balances: Why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Those that carry CC balances: Why?

I also think the answer to OP's original question has to do with behavioral economics and one of the fundamental tenets of the credit world. People don't feel the emotional impact of money as much in a virtual world of credit as opposed to the physical world of cash. Seeing balances or interest paid on paper or a computer screen just isn't the same as being asked to hand over lots of paper bills. People are looking at their balances in the hundreds or thousands and the interest that they're paying but it gets filed in their brains as "oh that's not too bad, it's ok." If you asked them to pay the interest off in cold hard cash, though, we would see a much different story I believe.
Message 71 of 75
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I also think the answer to OP's original question has to do with behavioral economics and one of the fundamental tenets of the credit world. People don't feel the emotional impact of money as much in a virtual world of credit as opposed to the physical world of cash. Seeing balances or interest paid on paper or a computer screen just isn't the same as being asked to hand over lots of paper bills. People are looking at their balances in the hundreds or thousands and the interest that they're paying but it gets filed in their brains as "oh that's not too bad, it's ok." If you asked them to pay the interest off in cold hard cash, though, we would see a much different story I believe.

I believe the same could be said for the purchases that got them a high balance in the first place, so yeah, this makes sense

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 72 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2b2rich wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe the same could be said for the purchases that got them a high balance in the first place, so yeah, this makes sense

Of course, that's well-documented and often referenced on these boards. The point is that the same phenomenon contributes to the answer OP is looking for, why the people who can afford dot pay off their balances, don't.
Message 73 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very good points above guys.  I guess one's mindest can just change over time.  These forums certainly can help with that.  Like I said, years ago I always carried a few thousand dollars on my card for no good reason.  I honestly don't know why I did it when I had plenty in savings/checking to get rid of that balance.  I suppose I didn't see the interest as being significant.  However, when looking at the amount paid at the end of the year, it certainly was significant.  I definitely won't ever go back to my old ways.  Bottom line is that I don't really know why I carried a balance for so long, so I figured others out there that do this may not have a good reason for it either.

Message 74 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

BBS...the question originaly posed reminds me of a conversation I had with a co-worker a few years back. He was a college graduate, mind you. He was complaining about credit card debt and I asked him why he did not PIF. He said that his monthly expenses were just more than his pay. I went over his expenses with him, which were about the same as mine and he made the same amount of money as me. Then he showed me his paycheck...much less than mine. He had put 0 dependants on his witholding form. I told him he needed to change that, but he argued if it were not for the 5000 dollars he got as a refund, he would never be able to pay off his credit cards. I kid you not, he was loaning the Feds 5000 dollars a year at 0 interest, which caused him to carry a balance at 24.99% interest on credit cards. I gave up arguing how stupid that was.

Wow, that's pretty rough.  The only logical explainations I've seen for someone claiming 0 over 1 is that they either get stuck paying when they go to file their taxes by claiming themselves (which can be countered by having an extra flat amount taken out of your check weekly) or people simply don't have the discipline not to spend that extra money in each check throughout the year and feel by getting it in one lump sum as a tax return helps them save it.  These are probably the same people that struggle with credit card debt, now that I think about it Smiley Happy

Message 75 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.