Did you mean: 

Those that carry CC balances: Why?

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Those that carry CC balances: Why?

@Anonymous wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

Jfriend33...I was once actually addicted to gambling, which actually caused the credit card issues. I know I have an addictive personality. I do not believe someone who has an addictive personality can change that. They can however redirect the addictive behavior into a good addiction. That is why I sometimes can hardly wait for a charge to post to pay off a balance. I will not however say that someone who occasionally carries a balance will surely go to credit hell either, but for me, carrying a balance would be dangerous.

I was pretty shocked to see this come up as I always my mother was the only one that got into debt that way. When she passed away, there was over 200K in credit card debt. She made great money, but the cash was for the machines and everything else got put on the cards. When she would win big, they would get paid off, but then run them right back up as the inevitable losing would follow. After all, Vegas wasn't built on winners. I've got the same addictive personality, but like you, it has been channeled into healthier addictions. 

As it relates to carrying a balance, I think some people just assume that's how life is. My mom sure did. Before I knew any better, I assumed that's how life would be for me too. Ignorance of information can breed more ignorance when one looks to their parents as a model for adult behavior. 

There are actually Gamblers Annonymous groups...places where poker machines are legal it is a real addiction, and very hard to get under control...you are always sure the machine is about to hit.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 51 of 75
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As quirky as Commerce Bank is at least they offer a cool feature called Toggle.  You make all the purchases on one card, earn the mediocre points, but you can change each purchase as a debit or credit, or set up specific categories or amounts that get toggled automatically. Kinda neat. No commerce bank checking account required.  I wish more things could be simple like this.

How do you use the card as a debit card if you do not have a checking account there....where is it debited from?

https://www.commercebank.com/toggle/

https://www.commercebank.com/toggle/faqs.asp

"What if I don’t have a Commerce Bank checking account to use for toggle?

You can link up to two checking accounts even if your checking accounts reside at different financial institutions from Commerce Bank."

They also offered bonuses of $25 to sign up for this from time to time!

I am in the garden, so I do not need the links, but thanks. By the way, I do not remember any disputes with you Jfriend33, but sometimes I can be a smartalec, but just trying to inject humor into debates, never do I actually mean to offend anyone. If that was the case with you, I hope you know I never mean it personal.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 52 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are actually Gamblers Annonymous groups...places where poker machines are legal it is a real addiction, and very hard to get under control...you are always sure the machine is about to hit.

Yes there are, and actually some people are very driven by the pain from losing. They want to lose.  It is a vicious cycle for sure.  Endorphin rush from gambling is said to be 2x that of cocaine.  Anyway, back to OP's topic!  (but it does relate, in that spending/shopping can be an addiction for sure, especially those that make excessive emotion/impulse purchases that they cannot afford).

Message 53 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As quirky as Commerce Bank is at least they offer a cool feature called Toggle.  You make all the purchases on one card, earn the mediocre points, but you can change each purchase as a debit or credit, or set up specific categories or amounts that get toggled automatically. Kinda neat. No commerce bank checking account required.  I wish more things could be simple like this.

How do you use the card as a debit card if you do not have a checking account there....where is it debited from?

https://www.commercebank.com/toggle/

https://www.commercebank.com/toggle/faqs.asp

"What if I don’t have a Commerce Bank checking account to use for toggle?

You can link up to two checking accounts even if your checking accounts reside at different financial institutions from Commerce Bank."

They also offered bonuses of $25 to sign up for this from time to time!

I am in the garden, so I do not need the links, but thanks. By the way, I do not remember any disputes with you Jfriend33, but sometimes I can be a smartalec, but just trying to inject humor into debates, never do I actually mean to offend anyone. If that was the case with you, I hope you know I never mean it personal.

My apologies, the links were not to card apps just to the feature explantion of toggle that you asked about! :-)  Otherwise no worries!

Message 54 of 75
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Back on topic, we may have actually hit on why many people carry a balance....might be a spending addiction. Maybe acquiring things causes a rush in some people that they are unable to control, I do not know, but just throwing that out there.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 55 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Many folks outside of here haven't grasped the idea of builidng up rewards with credits cards, churning, etc. They see credit cards as a tool that'll help them pay for something they need in an emergency, or for that new XBox One S they don't have the money for right now, but would rather pay that balance over time. 

It told my mom to respond to an AMEX PRG offer she recieved in the mail, explained that she'd get $400 in rewards after spending $3,000 or whatever it was on the card in order to have a free Christmas this year, and to pay for her bills and everyday purchases with it to maximize rewards, get vacations, etc. Her response? "I really don't want another credit card right now." Tried telling her it's a charge card and you have to pay the full balance off every month anyways.... Her response again? "I really don't need another credit card right now."

With some people you can't get get great advice through their head no matter how much you try to dumb it down, and credit card companies know that, so they take advantage of those who think credit cards are for the 1st explaination and not for the 2nd explaination. 

Wow that is super spooky/coincidental.  My uncle got an offer for the 60k Delta gold card and 50k PRG/$1k spend (sounds like your mom got the 40k then 25k 2nd year offer).  And he just kept talking on and on about going on a trip paying cash.  Yes many times it does make sense to get a great deal combining flight with car, esp if hotel is good quality and on sale....but I said, why would you pay $500+ to take a flight when you could go 3 maybe 4 times by getting these cards?  He is already past 5/24 and did not prequalify for the CSR (he claims he sat down at the bank and asked and they checked and there were no offers there, something is telling me he didnt ask).  His response to the amex cards "I dont need another credit card right now". (I am thinking, then why did you tell me about them then?????)  And is totally fine staying at $50 a night hotels that have 80% bad reviews with burn holes everywhere..

Meanwhile he has a generous sum of money sitting in an antiquated checking account, although its 20 years old, earning a putrid 0.05% (and their credit card is of course managed by ELAN, granted they actually gave him a great CL and crazy low APR that is allegedly variable and not a promo), going to a credit union would get him another 2-3% APY easily, and they would treat him better.  Keep in mind this person was also previously paying interest on 5 cards and I had to physically sit down with him and explain how to do a debt shuffle. Refuses to pay off the cards when he can, still using a debit card 78% of the time...but I at least was able to intervene and have some peace of mind by reducing his yearly interest by about 80% (after a bt fee or 2, a little interest incurred on a shuffle, etc).  Had some quirky cards, some amex blue that earns 1 MR point but doesnt allow partner transfers only gift cards.  I am like, do u see this MR balance here?  You could be using these for delta miles after paying a tiny fee.  Also has hundres of dollars of rewards sitting on a capital one venture one that used to be some old capital one card. Wont even use those for travel.  (I wanted him to use them so we could PC to a Quicksilver and just set the rewards to auto redeem...but no again).  

Also has a BoA card with a 50k limit and a fixed APR of 7.49%, I would be using it.  Nope.  Recurrent BT offers always thrown in the garbage. Only reason he has it is because he signed up for one when he had a mortgage with them ages ago. Also earns some crazy type of rewards that EXPIRE and are only for gift cards.  I literally almost cried when I saw how many points over the years had just vanished.........................

Moral of these last two stories (mine and MDV's), you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. 

I've learned to give up and not do business with certain people. 

My dad prefers everything in cash. I give him a check anyways and tell him tough crap. I'm not making a special trip to the ATM just to give him cash. He can deposit a check by smartphone. Heck he can't even do anything correctly with finances. He just opened a share checking account at a credit union and tried blaming them for an overdraft fee he caused on his own. He'd rather make a special trip to the ATM rather than use a debit card, even if the debit card has a rewards offer. Heck he recieved his first real credit card recently and he pays the bill by phone and doesn't even use the card for every day purchases or use online banking, and the card he has is the GM Buy Power 5% and 2% World Elite MasterCard through Capital One. It's really just better to not waste your time with clueless people like my dad. While he certainly has a right to do what he wants, people should listen to other people when the advice will benefit them, especially financially, and it drives mde nuts when people don't listen.

My mom is one of those who carries a balance and doesn't build up rewards or know any of the benefits of a card even though she travels a few times a year. 

I've learned to just study and discuss credit cards on here and here only because nobody else seems to care about free money or benefits, but they'd rather just carry a balance month to month and pay high interest rates, so whenI go on my free vacation next year, I'll be sure to mention why it's free. 

Message 56 of 75
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's all fine and well, but my question is why?  Are your friends willing to throw away a few thousand dollars in interest a year simply because their income makes them comfortable doing so? 

I think people who carry a balance really don't have the wherewithal to pay it all off.  That is, doing so would put them in an uncomfortable financial state of having very little cash on hand.  I mean theoretically they have the money, but practically, they don't.  Otherwise it's just short-sighted and ignorant to carry a balance month to month when one has the means not to.  I know lots of high earners with lots of assets and they wouldn't throw away a dollar, much less thousands, on credit card interest payments. 

But it's very similar to mortgages, isn't it?  I am surprised to see how many people buy a house with minimal or no down payment forcing them to pay higher interests or PMI. 

Message 57 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tacpoly wrote:

But it's very similar to mortgages, isn't it?  I am surprised to see how many people buy a house with minimal or no down payment forcing them to pay higher interests or PMI. 

With mortgages I think it's a little different.  Say your looking at houses that are around $300k just to throw a number out there.  You know you can afford a down payment (no PMI) and a mortgage for a house priced at $350k, so you're essentially trying to give yourself a $50k buffer.  When looking at houses, it's natural to see what that extra $50k can get you.  You find youself looking at $339k-$349k houses because you see that the extra $40-$50k gets you 2-3 more things on your wish list.  And, after all, you can "afford" it.  A house is a pretty major purchase and usually one you want to be happy with for a very long time, so I think people squeeze out as much as they can and/or max out their budgets as a result.

Message 58 of 75
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I get the unknown/unplanned expenses and even the splurge expenses on occasion that one may not have the money to pay off all in one shot... but there are literally people out there with say a $2k CC balance that spend $1k per month on the card and pay off $1k per month on the card but they just float that $2k.  Those are the people that I'd like to hear from most as it's simply not a rationale that I understand so I'd enjoy hearing their perspective on this practice.

I carried balances of between $2k and $4k for many years. It was on a low-interest card and I no longer do it since getting a MyFico education.

I did this because I was relatively low income but had regular expenses in two categories that exceeded my monthly capacity. One was building my own small home and another was paying veterinary bills and other care for rescued animals.

Paying interest on the home building expenses was justified because it enabled me to buy supplies and do the work myself over time without having to take out a mortgage, which would have been even more costly over time.

I'm sure many people would say the animal rescue expenses were some irresponsible lifestyle choice that I had no business undertaking if I couldn't fund it out of pocket, but my conscience told me otherwise. I did not and still do not begrudge or regret the hundreds of dollars of interest that I paid because those expenses saved lives and helped make both animals and their eventual adopters more happy and healthy.

I was never late on a payment, always paid more than minimum, but during those years never even thought about paying the balances completely off or not using the cards because I was doing things I needed to do that had priority.

Maybe I am not typical, but not everybody who carries balances is financing wild consumerist lifestyle choices.

Message 59 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I get the unknown/unplanned expenses and even the splurge expenses on occasion that one may not have the money to pay off all in one shot... but there are literally people out there with say a $2k CC balance that spend $1k per month on the card and pay off $1k per month on the card but they just float that $2k.  Those are the people that I'd like to hear from most as it's simply not a rationale that I understand so I'd enjoy hearing their perspective on this practice.

I carried balances of between $2k and $4k for many years. It was on a low-interest card and I no longer do it since getting a MyFico education.

I did this because I was relatively low income but had regular expenses in two categories that exceeded my monthly capacity. One was building my own small home and another was paying veterinary bills and other care for rescued animals.

Paying interest on the home building expenses was justified because it enabled me to buy supplies and do the work myself over time without having to take out a mortgage, which would have been even more costly over time.

I'm sure many people would say the animal rescue expenses were some irresponsible lifestyle choice that I had no business undertaking if I couldn't fund it out of pocket, but my conscience told me otherwise. I did not and still do not begrudge or regret the hundreds of dollars of interest that I paid because those expenses saved lives and helped make both animals and their eventual adopters more happy and healthy.

I was never late on a payment, always paid more than minimum, but during those years never even thought about paying the balances completely off or not using the cards because I was doing things I needed to do that had priority.

Maybe I am not typical, but not everybody who carries balances is financing wild consumerist lifestyle choices.

Good man. I would bet 1 year of additional credit history (sigh if only) that you are not typical.
Message 60 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.