cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Those that got Chase auto-CLIs 3-6 months in?

tag
Goose7
Valued Member

Re: Those that got Chase auto-CLIs 3-6 months in?

Joltdude, if I were you I'd start making hefty weekly payments instead of one lump sum at the end of the billing cycle. Just my 2 cents.
Message 31 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

Here's a few data points for you:

2013: United MileagePlus Explorer - 13,000 SL, never got an auto-CLI.

2016: United MileagePlus Club - 30,000 SL, never got an auto-CLI

2016: Sapphire Reserve - 30,000 SL, never got an auto-CLI

Well, nice SLs above for sure.  What was your spend like on those cards?

Message 32 of 79
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

Here's a few data points for you:

2013: United MileagePlus Explorer - 13,000 SL, never got an auto-CLI.

2016: United MileagePlus Club - 30,000 SL, never got an auto-CLI

2016: Sapphire Reserve - 30,000 SL, never got an auto-CLI

Well, nice SLs above for sure.  What was your spend like on those cards?

Typical spend on the Explorer was around $4000-$7000 per month, with a few months higher or lower. The Explorer was closed when I got the Club and it took over the spend (which at the time was everything but gas and I fill up maybe once a month). I then got the CSR and moved dining/travel to it, which is the overwhelming majority of my monthly spend ($2000-$4000 in most months as I have now moved work-related travel to a corporate card which was about $2000/month the Explorer got back in the day). The Club will see about $1000/month from groceries, dining I know not to be classified as dining by Chase, and my gym membership.

Message 33 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have three Chase Cards in my portfolio. I always PIF (have never paid a dime of interest to Chase) but have never recieved any auto CLI. That being said, I've only been a customer with Chase for just over a year and have continuously applied for Chase cards (while still being under 5/24) so figure I may be getting close to my cap with them:

- April 2016: Approved for Chase Sapphire Preferred: $9K SL (FICO approximately 670 then I think)

- Sep 2016: Approved for Chase Sapphire Reserve: $14K SL (FICO approximately 720 then)

- April 2017: Product changed my CSP to Chase Freedom Unlimited. No change to SL and Chase would not increase it without an HP

- April 2017: Approved for Chase Freedom: $25K SL (FICO approximately 760 then)

I've since moved limits around to increase limits on the CSR and FU since they're my higher spend cards:

- CSR: $20K SL

- FU: $20K SL

- Freedom: $8K SL

I'm hopeful to get an auto CLI on my Freedom, but am guessing that's wishful thinking. 

Message 34 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most comments on the "other credit board" is that Chase likes to give auto-CLI luv whenever someone gets close to maxing their CL and paying it down.  I've seen more than a few data points on someone stuck with the same CL who charged it up, paid it down and then saw a CLI automatically.

I just got back in with Chase last week with a piddly limit (after burning them for 4 figures!) and am hoping the max-PIF technique works or I will have a useless CL until my FICO scores improve enough to get a better card.

Message 35 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

It makes sense with all creditors really that if you charge up close to your limit and PIF that they have incentive to hand you an auto-CLI, as the limit could potentially be the constraint to additional spend.  When you're talking lower credit limits (4-figure) this is obviously much easier to do than with 5-figure limits.  There are plenty of people out there though with $15k-$20k SLs from Chase (or other banks) that aren't running anywhere near that amount through their card in a cycle, simply because without making a $200k+ a year it's just mathematically not going to happen often.  A lot of people with $15k SLs only put a $1k-$2k spend on their card per month (sometimes less) and are able to get auto-CLIs without coming close to their limit. 

Message 36 of 79
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Chase reallocated $2k from an older card to open an IHG MC.

I made a small purchase, paid it off. In the second month, I charged $1900 and let the balance report to the CR. My FICO dropped drastically that month, but Chase turned around and bumped the CL to $4.5k when I paid the existing $1.9l.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 37 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great example above of running near your limit through a card in a cycle and paying it off, thus prompting the creditor to extend you additional credit.

Message 38 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for keeping this going. A good read.

I just received a Chase Freedom SL $2500 so nice to see some of this data. Smiley Happy Id like to grow it to at least $5000 within a year.

Message 39 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just wondering about this.  I've had a Chase Freedom card since Mid 2013.  Before that I had been banking with Chase since the early 2000's.  I have never seen a single CLI from them, and I'm not about to ask.  It has gone from one of my higher credit limits (got it early on in my credit adventure, I had been living for 15+ years with no credit, if I didn't have the cash, I didn't buy it approach) to my absolute lowest credit limit (my credit scores in the upper 700's now), and was one of the many factors as to why I left Chase for my Checking/Savings last year as well (best decision ever, I love Navy Fed).

I have had the card near it's limit a few times, but I'll try it next month for giggles.  I just hate to take the temporary hit of having a card close at near 100% utilization, but doesn't matter as I'm not buying anything at the moment.

Message 40 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.