Did you mean: 

Those who've been declined CLI for CapOne

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Those who've been declined CLI for CapOne

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I should have my own data point on this later this month. My unsecured Platinum MC ($3,000 SL) will be hitting its 91-day mark post-approval/activation in a few more days, and my third statement will also be cutting shortly. I'm going to keep my request conservative if I have the option to select an amount; under the current circumstances overall with Cap One I figure my best course is to just accept what I'm given if I'm given anything, even if it's just $100.  No sense in poking the bear, especially with my automatic Credit Steps increase coming up later this summer.

You don't request an amount. CapOne offers the highest amount they're willing to give you. At that point, you can accept the offer, accept a lower amount of your choosing, or decline it.

Yes, that's why I said "if I have the option". So, as matters stand, my intention is to accept whatever I'm given, if I'm given anything, even if it's a measly $100. I wouldn't be jumping up and down, but I'd take it. If I get $500, I'll be satisfied since my Credit Steps increase would take me up another $500. Anything more than that is pure gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Message 21 of 44
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TiggerDat wrote:

Move on.  Why take a HP from all 3 bureaus to get a card?  Check out Wells Fargo, they have a 1.5% card, so does Chase, so do many other companies.  CapOne might be the easiest to get, but it isn't worth whatever hassle pops up later.  There are better cards out there which you can match with other cards out there to get a nicer portfolio.  

Move along now, nothing here to see.  And it really is the truth.  I think, even myself, that we get frustrated with CapOne for what they do and want to prove to them their system is flawed, we can beat it, or other excuse to simply get what we deserve from banking with them for so long.  However, we forget that this energy is better directed to proving not to them by getting another card with them, but instead to ourselves that we can get better cards out there with better rewards.  I went through this and in some ways I regret it.  But when I went through it I also had time to let things fall off and age my accounts.  I would rather take one HP for a new card now than 3 HPs for any card with them.  I know there 3 HP thing is a way to figure out what the worst terms they can offer you are and to insure that if you have a certain score that it hurts all three bureaus scores so you get trapped with them longer.  

Do yourself a favor.  Pick three cards you want and think you can get and apply for each of them.  Chances are that if your score can get you in it will.  You will get 3 times the sign up bonuses and 3 cards, or maybe just 2 times and 2 cards, or maybe once and one card.  So for three pulls you can a chance at three cards or just one.  It becomes your choice in the end, so why not make the best possible choice in first deciding on the best way to choose.....?........

CapOne pushed me away by not giving me increases.  Today I have much more than I would have if I hadn't simply stopped trying to fight their system and moved along, because there was nothing to see their.

Was Cap1 your first credit card? When nobody else would give you one....Folks always get mad, hates and talks bad about Cap1 when they don't get CLI's (just like you admitted) or approved for the Venture. Better cards come along because of Cap1...Don't disrespect Cap1 because they didn't give you increases. Obviously they felt you didn't deserve any.

No CapOne was not my first, Merrick was my first with a secured card.  I guess a person who pays and charges the entire limit 5 times one month and had two years of on time payments including months where the balance was paid off many times and had six credit cards all with great history and a score of 680 doesn't deserve anything regardless of increases from other cards.  I had Merrick, 2 CapOne cards, Household Bank, Marathon Visa, and Walmart.  I may of even had a few more cards at the time that I don't remember at the time.  I applied for a PNC card and got a Signature card instant approval.  Still they wouldn't give me an increase.  Now that my Household card is with them and has been for a few years, it still doesn't get anything.  At one point I even wanted to know what was real and I app'd for a QS card, instant Signature approval.  

I now have almost $300,000 in credit and my CapOne/Household gets no love.  So I think I speak from a bit of experience and experimentation.  

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 22 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone! 

I'm new to the site, been really impressed. I need some help/Tips on what I can do with the cap 1 cc as well. My credit Is on the lower end, been working on it for 8-9 months now. (580-630) range all 3 bureau's. I read that I had a decent chance getting the quicksilver one, plat, and journey. I recently applied for the quicksilver one, got the dreaded 7-10 day message. I really need to get a hold of someone that isn't the standard csr who can't do anything to help. I've tried a few backdoor numbers. Nothing so far, I tried emailing Richard fairbanks, no response in 3 days. I've heard there are some other email addresses out there where someone with decision making power actually gets back to you. Can someone pm me the backdoor number and/or email they've had success with? Thanks! I really need some help getting through to try and speed this process up 

Message 23 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum.  I'd recommend waiting a bit before apping to be honest.  While there are people that have been approved with your scores, there are also plenty that get denied.  If you sit tight and just let your scores grow for another 6 months or so and you're 600+ across the board maybe even scraping 650 on a bureau it will do wonders for your ability to acquire a card or two.

Message 24 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I know, there is no recon with Cap 1 ... 

I'd echo what BBS said ... I'd wait ... it sucks, but patience is ultimately rewarded

Message 25 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Brutal Smiley Wink 

I appreciate it! I've been trying to be patient, I opened up a Wells secured card 11 months ago, perfect payment history, 2 auto loans that are perfect as well, however I have 1-2 open collections (med), and 2 student loans showing on the books. Those and limited credit line history have been what's been holding me back. I opened a fingerhut line $600 2 months ago, it helped. I found the shopping cart checkout trick on this forum a few days ago, so far have been instantly approved (soft pull) for 2 different lines. 

Message 26 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

My goal is pretty similar, I'm not used to/wouldn't be approved for higher limits right now. I am 1099, so a lot of lenders have issues with approving me simply due to my income & length of time at my current job. After looking on this forum, I'm 99% sure my best course of action is to try and get a few Cap 1 cards, wait for the CLI's (I've seen a lot of posts from folks who have gotten pretty decent increases), and hope that my overall credit limit, utilization, payment history ect will help my score grow to the 700's. It's been a long road, I've been clawing my way back from rock bottom 500's from a year ago. Currently 580-630 depending on the bureau, I''ve sent in 2 apps recently with Cap 1, I just recieved a denial for the 1st app, (i'm assuming the 2nd will be the same then). I have seen a lot of people have success in the recon area with them, if anyone has a specific phone number or email, as well as a overview of what they said to them, I would really appreciate it!!! I don't want to give up on these, I really think I should've been approved for at least the min limit, any help would really be appreciated thanks! 

Message 27 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

While gardening for 6 months or so I'd see what you can do to get those collections removed from your report. Going from dirty to clean would likely yield you 70-100 points, which would put you in a position to apply for cards even better than entry-level. Keep in mind that capital one apps result in HP's across all 3B. Repeated denials are going to hit all of your scores. A denial from cap one if you are borderline like you are can almost be a blessing is disguise, as an approval will give you a doomed account for life that will sit at the SL you are given or slightly go up over a year or two but will cap out far under where you would like it to be. As a result, you'll be forced to open a new card at some point. This is another reason to consider gardening and removing those negative so that you get approved for a card with a decent $3k-$5k SL that you could take to $10k in a year or two... Rather than a $500 limit card that will cap out at $2k or something similar.
Message 28 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good perspective ) 

I wish I wasn't as crunched for time as I am now, I know it definitely doesn't happen overnight. Watched mine go from 510's to 580-636 over 10 months. I usually have a lot of patience, however started a new job(what I hope will turn into career & small business). It's taking a while to get off the ground, been having to sink more $ into it then I anticipated. I have been able to do it off of my savings, more and more I realize how valuable a few decent lines of credit would be. Oh yes I am aware of the dreaded 3 B pull, I locked my experian on my first app (review - then denied), unlocked it once i talked to a account rep, and applied for platinum because he made it sound like that was the main holdup (identity hold on experian). That one went to review too, I am hoping I can build back to where the prime cards will be in my reach again. I was under the impression one of the quickest ways to do it is open up a few tradelines, more on time payments a month, higher overall limit, and low utilization is best. I've got the collections closed, and am disputing them w/the 3 bureaus now. But it still doesn't solve the denials, I've done a ton of researching on cap 1, and I know that I fall in the middle of their average approval score. I hate to waste 2 seperate inquiries on apps that didn't get anywhere (especially when I've seen a ton of people post their success stories with recon). I'm mainly just being stonewalled because I can't get through to the right people yet. I've had a few people message me, going to try the numbers shortly. I know if i can get on the phone with a decision maker I can explain the situation and hopefully get the denials overturned for at least the min limits. if anyone can help with additional #'s / emails to cap 1 I'd appreciate it! 

Message 29 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Y'all know why everybody getting strict cause y'all talk so much about everything on here!!! Know body should complain!!! These people know everything cause y'all tell them!!!

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.