Did you mean: 

Those with Freedom Cards

tag
SpeeDj
Regular Contributor

Re: Those with Freedom Cards

@longtimelurker wrote:

@megaman1 wrote:
Not to scold anyone, but how difficult is it to click on a signup button once every three months...?

Not difficult at all but it is user-unfriendly.  As FinStar suggests, really a way to get some people to miss the earning opportunity.  

Think of cards without rotating categories, you don't need to reactivate 2x on travel and restaurants on the CSP every quarter for example.

But with csp you pay a yearly fee in exchange for not signing up for bonuses one would think...

JP

TU:552 | EQ:561 | EX:567 | Starting Score [LP from 08]
TU:693 | EQ:682 | EX:700 | Current Score [11.21.13]
[720 Overall] Goal Score - The grass is greener in the garden! (Amex made me fall out... since 12.13)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SpeeDj wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@megaman1 wrote:
Not to scold anyone, but how difficult is it to click on a signup button once every three months...?

Not difficult at all but it is user-unfriendly.  As FinStar suggests, really a way to get some people to miss the earning opportunity.  

Think of cards without rotating categories, you don't need to reactivate 2x on travel and restaurants on the CSP every quarter for example.

But with csp you pay a yearly fee in exchange for not signing up for bonuses one would think...

JP

Um, for example!   So, consider the Amex BCE.  You don't need to sign up for groceries, gas and select department stores.   And no AF.  Chase Sapphire.  PenFed Cash Rewards.  And any of many many other no-AF cards with categories that you don't sign up for.

You do have to sign up for Cash Plus, but that makes sense because you are choosing them each quarter.  With Freedom and others, it's more "Yes, I got this card for the 5% categories, and I've thought hard and  yes please, I would like to  sign up for them this quarter too [rather than taking them as 1%]"

Message 12 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SpeeDj wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@megaman1 wrote:

JP

@ JP - To longtimelurker's point, the AF wouldn't have any bearing into the bonus activation (or lack thereof).  Think Fidelity AMEX 2% cashback - no AF, no activation required.

Message 13 of 16
SpeeDj
Regular Contributor

True just playing devils advocate here that's all.

JP

TU:552 | EQ:561 | EX:567 | Starting Score [LP from 08]
TU:693 | EQ:682 | EX:700 | Current Score [11.21.13]
[720 Overall] Goal Score - The grass is greener in the garden! (Amex made me fall out... since 12.13)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 16
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@dbutz1109 wrote:

Although I do not have experience with this...it is smart on the CC company's part to go about this way. If people are too lazy to activate every quarter, forget, or simply don't bother...it is just less that the CC has to give back.

I agree with this assessment.  The cards that advertise no hassle and don't require signups routinely offer a low amount of rewards, usually in the 1-1.5% range.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 15 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@dbutz1109 wrote:

Although I do not have experience with this...it is smart on the CC company's part to go about this way. If people are too lazy to activate every quarter, forget, or simply don't bother...it is just less that the CC has to give back.

I agree with this assessment.  The cards that advertise no hassle and don't require signups routinely offer a low amount of rewards, usually in the 1-1.5% range.

Sorry, this strikes me as making up explanations as we go (after the AF one).  BCE is a no annual fee with a 3% and 2% categories that don't need sign up.  It is just for the convenience of the credit card issuer to potentially reduce pay out, and I don't see why anyone wants to particularly defend that.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.