Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Those with Freedom Cards

tag
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Those with Freedom Cards

I'm a bit confused on the categories.

As of now untill Dec 31st, theres the 5% at Amazon. Which I had activated.

Starting Jan1 it stars with gas stations etc.

Heres where Im a bit confused.

Today on my account its showing as "Not Activated" for Q1 Jan-March  ((It was showing Activated until Dec.31)

I went ahead and activated the Q1 2014 category.

So, do I still get the 5% at Amazon untill the 31st?

Or did I actually just cancel out 2013 Q4 in exchange for Q1 categories starting now?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Those with Freedom Cards

You have to activate each quarter.  Once activated, it not cancelled out by the new quarters activation. 

Message 2 of 16
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Ok, Thank you. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, they lose marks for poor user experience here.

Message 4 of 16
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Agree, it's kind of ackward to mess with every 3 mos.  I don't really understand having to activate each quarter, but I guess they have their reasons.

Message 5 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ForMyBiz wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Agree, it's kind of ackward to mess with every 3 mos.  I don't really understand having to activate each quarter, but I guess they have their reasons.

Think of it as you snooze, you lose kinda thing.  You'd be very suprised on the numbers of lost/missed reward opportunities for folks outside of this sphere (or who may not be familiar with the program or how to maximize those categories).

Message 6 of 16
megaman1
Regular Contributor

Not to scold anyone, but how difficult is it to click on a signup button once every three months...?
Message 7 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ForMyBiz wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

That's true, but I meant something more basic from a UX perspective.   As noted, the "Not Activated" overwrites the display of the current status, whereas even sites with backward UI, such as US Bank (I have not been given the new version yet), will show you two statuses, one for the current period and one for the next.  Don't know why Chase couldn't do that.

Message 8 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@megaman1 wrote:
Not to scold anyone, but how difficult is it to click on a signup button once every three months...?

Not difficult at all but it is user-unfriendly.  As FinStar suggests, really a way to get some people to miss the earning opportunity.  

Think of cards without rotating categories, you don't need to reactivate 2x on travel and restaurants on the CSP every quarter for example.

Message 9 of 16
AAstra
Regular Contributor

Although I do not have experience with this...it is smart on the CC company's part to go about this way. If people are too lazy to activate every quarter, forget, or simply don't bother...it is just less that the CC has to give back.

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.