Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on AMEX vs Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thoughts on AMEX vs Chase

The few actually wealthy people I knew had one credit card (and in most cases it was an Amex Green or Gold) and an accountant got the bill. They didn't care about rewards or perks -- they just saw it as a way to pay for things. Most wealthy people are wealthy for a reason, and in my experience, that reason was because they were working their butts off -- managing perks/rewards/etc. was something that just didn't occur to them because they had too much going on. But these were all touring musicians... and $200/yr for travel credit wouldn't even put a dent in. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The few actually wealthy people I knew had one credit card (and in most cases it was an Amex Green or Gold) and an accountant got the bill. They didn't care about rewards or perks -- they just saw it as a way to pay for things. Most wealthy people are wealthy for a reason, and in my experience, that reason was because they were working their butts off -- managing perks/rewards/etc. was something that just didn't occur to them because they had too much going on. But these were all touring musicians... and $200/yr for travel credit wouldn't even put a dent in. Smiley Happy

Thank you for the serious answers from the last few posters. I really appreciate the insight and your thoughts/opinions.

Message 12 of 16
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Then I'm guessing one of those people was Joe Walsh. As I recall, he did have accountants pay for it all.

Message 13 of 16
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

As to the OP's question, one has to consider if a $550 AF up front is worth 2 trips a year (ie $275 each) - to me it's not as I'd rather a card pays me such as BlisPay 2% back, 6 months no payments no interest (probably limited to the airfare, but you'd have to check) or the GM Card 5% back on the first $5k in spending (if this benefits you, it's not a popular card on this forum) or in fact opening a card with a spending bonus such as AARP Chase (I think it's still $200 for spend) or the Cashwise WF ($200 for spend). I can see getting paid $400 plus whatever cash back vrs paying $550 - that's a pretty big swing for two trips. 

Message 14 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Wealthy people are just people.  They're all as different as regular people are and do what works for them.

As for your idea of doing Amex Plat + EDP, yeah I get you want to maximize points earning, but that just seems a bit wasteful to me on fees.  That's a combined whopping $645 annual free.  I realize that's partly offset by travel credits and perks, but still, do you spend enough (and on the right things) on those cards to make it worth that?  Maybe you do.

It seems to me you'd get more for less with a Chase trio.  $450 AF - $300 travel credit and similar perks, plus fairly quick points earning potential with Freedom cards, which would make up for the lower travel points earning rate of the CSR (even though 3x is still nothing to sneeze at).

Plat does come with some exclusive perks that might be worth it, though.  Like I said, different combos are a better fit to different people.

Me personally, I'd probably never get the platinum because I just don't travel that often.  The 5x earning on flights would only be occasional, the $200 Uber credit isn't much use where I live, and the $200 travel credit isn't enough of a discount off the AF for me, and might not even get completely used some years.  I've thought about the PRG, especially with the nice targeted 50,000 MR signup offer I got in the mail, but not yet.  That one seems a better fit for me since it offers double rewards on everyday categories like gas and groceries.  So I'd use it to save points to use on a nice big trip we might take every few years or so.  That's a $195 AF and no second card needed.  But that's just what seems a better fit for my situation.

As for the Chase cards, again, the CSR is hard for me to justify considering my current spending habits, but I might have use for a CSP in my future since it doesn't require as much of a commitment to spend on travel as the CSR or Plat do.  I'm probably stuck in 5/24 for a pretty long time, though, so this is just a thought experiment for me.

Do what works for you.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been thinking lately and have been heavily debating between going the AMEX Platinum+EDP route (for the simplicty of only two cards) or continue on with the Chase trio (CSR+FU+Freedom) and citi prestige for hotels. I take at least 2 large trips a year ($4k+ each). Baiscally I'm debating on weather the time juggling multiple cards is worth it vs the simplicity of a charge card, a credit card, and 1 visa or mastercard just incase AMEX isn't taken.

What card do most wealthy people use? (I heard that most wealthy people only have and use 1-2 cards)

What company do most wealthy people use? (If it's AMEX right now, will that change now that they have been slacking a bit with making their platinum on par with the others?)

Why not just get the Amex combo and see if they work out better in a year or two? point hit would have recovered by 2 year mark and extra AF less credit seems like a small fee for the most accurate answer.

I'm afraid that many wealthy people are not that into a non-compounding 'discount' of a few percentage points on everyday CC purchases (as I've noticed, some of them are not even that interested in knowing the price itself, let alone the "4% discount if you use a 'rewards' card") but since CCs are convinient to use here in the US they do use them. Due to the same, I can't see many of them changing cards due to reasons stated in the OP. But anyways, copying this trait from them is probably of little benefit for most and can be quite harmful to normal people like me if trying to copy the 'never ask the price' partSmiley Happy

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.