cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Amex Green / Gold -vs- Zync?

tag
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Thoughts on Amex Green / Gold -vs- Zync?

Currently I have a Zync card.

Based on rewards, I am considering apping for a Green or a Gold. I hate to pay the AF but want the better rewards program.

Any comments on this idea from those of you that might have done this?

Thanks -

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Alcibiades
Contributor

Re: Thoughts on Amex Green / Gold -vs- Zync?

Depending on your spending, you may want to keep the Zync and get a Green/Gold to pair with it. You can link the cards together; all rewards points gained with the Zync then become regular Membership Rewards points. For example, Zync gets me 2X points on restaurants and on cable/cell bills, which Gold/Green don't. Also, I get 2X on Airfare (though the Gold Premier Rewards gets 3X).

The Zync is a good card if you use your packs aggresively and wisely, and to be frank it looks cooler than the Gold and Green. Adding a Green then sock drawering it may be the way to go if your packs are working for you. If you aren't really using Zync packs, then you should probably switch to Green/Gold and get rid of the Zync.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just remember if you already have a charge account with Amex the next card you get will charge you the af immediately. I was told this during a live chat by one of the agents. 

You might want to cancel/PC zync into the premier rewards gold card as it has the best opportunity to earn MR points. Make sure you check your spending habits against the af first though so that the points outweigh the af.

Message 3 of 8
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

I have the zync the pr gold and the plat  as far as earning rewards I believe the zync did a better job at it however those rewards are MR Express but like others have said if you pair the zync with any other charge card then they are "converted" to regular MR points all that being said I like the PR Gold best b/c nowadays its gas and groceries for me and the wife 

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 4 of 8
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just remember if you already have a charge account with Amex the next card you get will charge you the af immediately. I was told this during a live chat by one of the agents. 

You might want to cancel/PC zync into the premier rewards gold card as it has the best opportunity to earn MR points. Make sure you check your spending habits against the af first though so that the points outweigh the af.

+1

Message 5 of 8
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Thanks very much for this feedback! I am trying to make an intelligent choice as to what I do.

Most likely, I will hold off for now and continue to use the Costco Amex over the Zync.

Ray

Ray

Message 6 of 8
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Just wanted to follow back up on this...

I app'd and was approved for the Green Card this past Friday. Once it arrives, I will decide what to do with the Zync. I just want to make sure I am gaining rewards in the best possible way to redeem agains travel.

Once cool thing, this will be my thrid Amex that is back-dated to 1979!

I appreciate the feedback here.

Ray

Ray

Message 7 of 8
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@RockinRay wrote:

Just wanted to follow back up on this...

I app'd and was approved for the Green Card this past Friday. Once it arrives, I will decide what to do with the Zync. I just want to make sure I am gaining rewards in the best possible way to redeem agains travel.

Once cool thing, this will be my thrid Amex that is back-dated to 1979!

I appreciate the feedback here.

Ray

Congrats! Enjoy your new card and the enhanced rewards! Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.