Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Chase card closures

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thoughts on Chase card closures

@NRB525 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I am wanting to open a CU account, let say in the coming days as a back-up at a local CU and open a CC with them, but if I do so I will obviously inquire at least one HP..  Do you let the Chase bear do what it is doing and lay low for awhile or do you forge ahead and cover your own butt and open up such account?  I am way over thinking this, but you aways got to think out for #1, being yourself as they are thinking out for themselves which in their case they are #1...  a Catch 22 isn't it?   

When you meet a bear in the woods, there are three basic responses:

1) Run away as fast as you can and hope you are faster than the bear

2) Curl into a little ball, play dead, and hope the bear goes away

3) Hope your companions are more interesting to the bear than you are.

LOL... Good advise, kinda....  Basically um, ya...  Catch 22.

I think I will curl into a ball for awhie and let the bear go for more interesting people..  Sorry all, but #1 comes first me Smiley Happy..   Hopefully we have aready seen the worse of this as the year is at the end.  

Message 81 of 160
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Who are you talking too? Retail man.  How old are you? Bet I beat you by 25 years or more.

Which has exactly nothing to do with anything concerning the validity of the argument, and just because you "beat" someone "by 25 years or more" is not an excuse for you not to have to be respectful.

Message 82 of 160
techiegirl
Regular Contributor

If your card is closed while you still have a balance, how does that reflect on your credit?
FICO: EQ - 809 TU- 808 EX - 797
Message 83 of 160
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I think you are still repsonsible for debt i am not sure though. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 84 of 160
eddie84
Valued Contributor

@techiegirl wrote:
If your card is closed while you still have a balance, how does that reflect on your credit?

I had a card that was closed down while still has a balance on it.  I just continue to make payments as usual.  It didn't seem to effect my score though (on the CR it just listed as closed by lender).

Message 85 of 160
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Definitely still responsible for the debt. Essentially, that balance remains part of your utilization, but the limit on the card is no longer accounted for in that calculation. So if you have 50k of available credit, and your card with a 10k limit is closed with a 5k balance, you then have a 5k balance with 40k of available credit. 

Message 86 of 160
IWOL
Established Contributor

I didn't read the entire thread but wanted to chime in on the appearance of chase closure threads being abundant.

First of all, credit related message boards offer a very small number of cardholders relative to the total number of cardholders out there. Relative to the total number of Chase cardholders here and on other related boards very few have reported Chase closures.  If everyone that uses Chase cards including those that buy gift cards etc that have never had a card closed posted here......I think you would have a hard time finding the closure posts. 

Based on that alone I think people are way overacting to the relatively few reports of closures.

on top of all that we rarely get the full picture if a posters credit situation....i.e. Util, number of recent accounts, inquiries, spending patterns, months of min payments etc.

Posters often correlate the closure to one thing like buying a gift card when in fact it could be any number of factors.

gift cards are a huge business. Visa,  MC and AMEX sell hundreds millions worth of gift cards. The only way to purchase AMEX gift cards on their site is with a credit card as well as places like gift card mall. Buying GC with a credit card is perfectly acceptable and is even promoted by the very issuers that sell them.

Doing MS at any level always has it's risks but if you are not buying GC for this purpose, you should not worry about buying GC for presents etc.

There are so many possible factors involved in each individual scenario, it's a waist  of time to try speculate unless you have all the facts which we never do.

Message 87 of 160
negg
Frequent Contributor

What IWOL says. Chase has millions of card holders and maybe .00005% have had there accounts closed for reasons not know to us.   Im not the least bit worried about it.  

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 88 of 160
Anonymous
Not applicable

@negg wrote:

What IWOL says. Chase has millions of card holders and maybe .00005% have had there accounts closed for reasons not know to us.   Im not the least bit worried about it.  

Same. I'm still going to pare down to maybe 3 Chase cards over the next year.

Message 89 of 160
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

I haven't been here for a few weeks, I'm surprised to see this happening as frequent as we are perceiving it to be. Its also surprising that it happens to people with a crapload of money in their account. I opened a ton of cards this past year, 4 of them being from Chase.  Hopefully they wont kill mine off, if they do it looks like I wouldn't be able to buy my way out of this one... 

Message 90 of 160
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.