Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threatening CC company for CLI

tag
pats23
Contributor

Threatening CC company for CLI

I have never done this or have any desire to but has anyone ever threatened to close their account unless they received a CLI or some other change?? Interested to hear some stories or if the companies called the bluff

$4000----------- $5000------------$15000-------------$3500-------------NPSL----------$2500------------$5000----------$10000--------$5000
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Threatening CC company for CLI

@pats23 wrote:

I have never done this or have any desire to but has anyone ever threatened to close their account unless they received a CLI or some other change?? Interested to here some stories or if the companies called the bluff

I'm interested on this one. I have 1 in mind...................

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 53
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 3 of 53
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@Anonymous

cough, cough. Discover?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 53
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
@Anonymous

cough, cough. Discover?

LOL! I KNEW it!!!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 5 of 53
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Been gone for a while and voila the thread I open has LS posting a clever gif. xD

I'm sure tons of people threaten to close their accounts to get things (like an APR reduction or a CLI) but depending on the company it might or might not help. For instance, (unless you're dealing with the EO) cap1 won't give you a CLI even if you threaten to close your account. I've heard of people threatening to close and the CSR just going "okay, lets close your account." 

Other companies might be more helpful, but a lot of the time it depends more on who you talk to rather than what you say. 

Message 6 of 53
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

I did with Cap1, I call and went directly to the cancelation dpt, I told the rep to cancel and explained my CL was not goot (500) and no rewards, he told me how he could make me a happy customer I told him I wanted rewards and a CLI of at least 1k, they denied so I cancel.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 7 of 53
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

@pats23 wrote:

I have never done this or have any desire to but has anyone ever threatened to close their account unless they received a CLI or some other change?? Interested to hear some stories or if the companies called the bluff

I think it's a daring move UNLESS one is prepared to close the card if denied. I'm planning to do so with my Cap One losers before the AFs hit. In their case, I would most definitely close them. Shucks, I want to close them now, but I figure I've paid my AF until November, so I'm waiting.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 8 of 53
Volpes
Regular Contributor

I have heard of people getting their annual fee waived, or reduced, but I've never heard of a CLI; I'd say its plausible for long time customers stuck at the limit they where given, especially if their credit profile has improved significantly.

I have a CC with a $300 limit (don't laugh). I have received two invitations for CLI, but this bank/lender charges a fee, I can't remember how much but its a percentage of however much of an increase they give you - larger increase = larger fee... yes, I know ridiculousness. Once I reach some goals of mine I will be trying this with theme. I already have a couple nice USAA cards, so I'm not afraid to dropkick theme.

Message 9 of 53
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Depending on how much money they are making off of you, they may not care. If they are only making $100 off of you they won't try to keep you. I know you can argue that you don't spend more because the limit is low, but that won't change their mind. What is the reason for not getting an increase? Whatever the reasons are, fix them and they will give you the increase. Threatening won't cause them to throw their policies out of the window and it may get your account closed before you know it.

Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.