Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threatening CC company for CLI

tag
pats23
Contributor

Re: Threatening CC company for CLI

about a year ago i threatened to close my capone card unless a got a CLI from my measly 300CL the CSR was more than happy to close my account till I had to say "wait!!" and stop him as it was my oldest card by far. Didnt work for me but hope there are some other funny stories out there.....fast forward a year and that cards limit was increased to 3.5k and the APR dropped to 10.5, so it all worked out, but almost a big mistake!

$4000----------- $5000------------$15000-------------$3500-------------NPSL----------$2500------------$5000----------$10000--------$5000
Message 21 of 53
pats23
Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

This would work if your tagged as a highl profitable customers, but would otherwise result in an instant account closure.  Never threaten unless you stand prepared to follow through.

Nothing more pathetic than "the boy who cried wolf" syndrome.

I agree however im hoping people have some entertaining stories of this

$4000----------- $5000------------$15000-------------$3500-------------NPSL----------$2500------------$5000----------$10000--------$5000
Message 22 of 53
enharu
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

This would work if your tagged as a highl profitable customers, but would otherwise result in an instant account closure.  Never threaten unless you stand prepared to follow through.

+1.

This strategy can possibly work if you also happen to have other accounts tied in as well with the same lender.

For example you are a Citigold client with Citi, or a CPC with Chase, and want a CLI or something reasonable done. Due to your private banking relationship and/or account balances, they might be possibly a lot more accomodating than they would normally just to retain you as a client. Certain forum members, including bibro (hopefully he can elaborate more on this) had used his JPMorgan banking relationship to help with his approval odds during recon calls with Chase. It's common business practice. They're not going to give up on a forest just because of a tree. And if you were indeed a valued client, I doubt you even have to really "threaten" them at all. A brief mention should get things going in the right direction assuming the request itself is reasonable.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 23 of 53
pats23
Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

+1.

This strategy can possibly work if you also happen to have other accounts tied in as well with the same lender.

For example you are a Citigold client with Citi, or a CPC with Chase, and want a CLI or something reasonable done. Due to your private banking relationship and/or account balances, they might be possibly a lot more accomodating than they would normally just to retain you as a client. Certain forum members, including bibro (hopefully he can elaborate more on this) had used his JPMorgan banking relationship to help with his approval odds during recon calls with Chase. It's common business practice. They're not going to give up on a forest just because of a tree.

+1 

Has anyone actually moved substantial assets from a bank because of lack of approval or request for a CC?? Must be people who do all there banking with a company then get denied a CC from that bank and then switch banks out of spite

Message 24 of 53
enharu
Super Contributor

@pats23 wrote:

+1 

Has anyone actually moved substantial assets from a bank because of lack of approval or request for a CC?? Must be people who do all there banking with a company then get denied a CC from that bank and then switch banks out of spite

Some people do indeed do this out of spite. A lot people just want everything to be done under 1 roof for convenience, which is why megabanks are thriving so well. This is the reason why a lot of people continue to use their WF credit cards despite the terrible rewards structure. They happen to have a mortage with them, and along the way they just added other banking products for convenience. There are perks for doing everything under 1 roof. You usually have some sort of priority over other clients, and payments are usually posted right away as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 25 of 53
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

+2, and honestly most lenders are willing to give the CLI with the exception of Discover and Cap One. Personally, pulling a temper tantrum for a CLI seems childish.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 26 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@migliogiorni wrote:

+2, and honestly most lenders are willing to give the CLI with the exception of Discover and Cap One. Personally, pulling a temper tantrum for a CLI seems childish.

Most lenders give CLIs when the requestor fits their criteria for so doing.   Problem is a lot of people decide that they deserve a CLI, and post here, demand it for a CSR, contact the EO etc.   These are the ones most likely to threaten and get closed, basically is it up to the bank to decide if you qualify for a CLI, not you...

Which in no way implies that I am exempt from this behaviour!

Message 27 of 53
pats23
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@migliogiorni wrote:

Most lenders give CLIs when the requestor fits their criteria for so doing.   Problem is a lot of people decide that they deserve a CLI, and post here, demand it for a CSR, contact the EO etc.   These are the ones most likely to threaten and get closed, basically is it up to the bank to decide if you qualify for a CLI, not you...

I feel like everyone is on me saying that would be childish dont do that!!! Only reason I started this thread is because I have never seen it before and wanted some new conversation on here to look at!! I was hoping people would have some awesome entertaining stories to tell but everyone put the Kibosh on that by saying don't cry wolf etc!! I wanted awesome temper tantrum stories to read about.

Message 28 of 53
enharu
Super Contributor

@pats23 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@migliogiorni wrote:

I feel like everyone is on me saying that would be childish dont do that!!! Only reason I started this thread is because I have never seen it before and wanted some new conversation on here to look at!! I was hoping people would have some awesome entertaining stories to tell but everyone put the Kibosh on that by saying don't cry wolf etc!! I wanted awesome temper tantrum stories to read about.

The problem is throwing tantrums like this rarely ever works.

It's pretty much equivalent to some random guy crying in Best Buy because they refused to discount the TV by 50%.

Imagine yourself as the phone CSR rep as well with this random idiot throwing a fit at you for no reason. What would you typically respond with? 

Message 29 of 53
pats23
Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@pats23 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@migliogiorni wrote:

The problem is throwing tantrums like this rarely ever works.

It's pretty much equivalent to some random guy crying in Best Buy because they refused to discount the TV by 50%.

Imagine yourself as the phone CSR rep as well with this random idiot throwing a fit at you for no reason. What would you typically respond with? 

I 100% agree just a topic I though would be good for discussion

Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.