Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threatening CC company for CLI

tag
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Threatening CC company for CLI

Although I didn't threaten them, I did call Amex to cancel my Green card to avoid the AF. They offered to waive it if I kept it open.....which I accepted.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 31 of 53
Volpes
Regular Contributor

"threatening" to close account can... as read in this thread can be interpreted two ways:

1) consumer with a temper and demanding a CLI

2) consumer with a long-standing limited credit limit, feels this may be unjustifiable and that maybe wants an answer to "why". Figures pursuing closing the account may wake up the credit granter into a more favorable relations.

I assume noone in this thread suggested crying like a baby.

Its only business Smiley LOL I will be trying this in a couple months, maybe I will have a story or maybe not.

Message 32 of 53
Volpes
Regular Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
Although I didn't threaten them, I did call Amex to cancel my Green card to avoid the AF. They offered to waive it if I kept it open.....which I accepted.

Thats cool, a Green card with no AF

AmEx may not be pleased if this starts a trend Smiley Tongue

Message 33 of 53
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

As someone who works in a bank I hear "I'm closing my account bc of xyz" and I say "ok, let's get that taken care of for you." I'm not begging people to keep an account. I still get paid either way. I don't say this to sound mean, but to put you in the mind of the CSR. Do you have any idea how many times we hear this a week? And most of it is about something the customer did wrong, not the bank (ie OD fees). Now if it was a customer I really love, I might say "are you sure?"

But I also agree with the others, be prepared to actually have the account closed. I told Cap1 if I didn't get a CLI or a PC I was closing my account, and they said "you aren't eligible" and I said "close it out please."

I was determined to either get the CLI, PC, or to be done with them as a company. I felt like I had outgrown them. And I still do. They served their purpose in my credit profile, but now I've moved on to prime cards.
AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 34 of 53
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Just a few points from a "fresh from the rebuild" noob...sometimes a fresh outside perspective is helpful...

1. Maybe CC policies are like collection agency policies...in the age of information, it's impossible to do just one person a solid. They know if they bend the policies it'll be all over MyFico forums and EVERYONE will be taking the same approach Smiley Happy

2. Perhaps take a different tact...if its your lowest CL...try something along the lines of "I'm happy with the product, but this account is making my credit profile look weak. You're at 500 while all other company's accts are at 3k, 5k, 10k, etc. Please at least match my next lowest CL". You know, put the ball in their court kind of thing. Just sounds more professional and reasonable than demanding.

Again, no actual experience in this...it's just what came to mind while reading the thread...so take it with a grain of salt.
Message 35 of 53
darkpearl
Regular Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

While that may have worked for you, we're talking about the general consensus.  Some lenders have leeway in specific scenarios and everyone's experience will differ and it really depends whether the consumer is also willing to work with the lender - it's a two way street.

I thought this was a discussion forum all opinions welcome? I hope some more people chime in with stories as well, which was the point of this thread, instead of just shutting down opinions that don't agree with yours??

Message 36 of 53
Open123
Super Contributor

@pats23 wrote:

Has anyone actually moved substantial assets from a bank because of lack of approval or request for a CC?? Must be people who do all there banking with a company then get denied a CC from that bank and then switch banks out of spite

Not with a CC, but a safety deposit box, of all things.

Message 37 of 53
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

@Brusilov wrote:

@Kutuzov wrote:

I did with Cap1, I call and went directly to the cancelation dpt, I told the rep to cancel and explained my CL was not goot (500) and no rewards, he told me how he could make me a happy customer I told him I wanted rewards and a CLI of at least 1k, they denied so I cancel.

Didn't you try the "Modify Your Features" option?

....  I kid, I kid.

I tried pretty much everything with them except the CEO, I don't belive that I need to contact the CEO for such a ridiculous thing. In fact Cap1 was my only cc for years, every now and then when I needed to purchase something I coldn't with the 500 CL, I would call them and ask them for a CLI, denied again and again for 2 years, perfect payment history etc. One day Credit sesame or CK one of the two show me the barclay mc rewards, and I give Cap1 a try before applying to that one call them, nothing. All right I applied for the barclay cc got approved to my surprise for 1.3k, all right a month later or so I call cap1 just to cancel I didn't excpect them to do nothing, and that what happened.

I also got a bit p#@$ off with cap1, over a fradulent merchant charge they wouldn't dispute over the phone, I send them a certified mail return reciept request letter disputing the charge with proof, and after making me lose time several times over the phone, spending money and time over the mail, etc. they manage to fix it about 45 days later. It was my DW cc, the first CSR just didn't want to dispute the charge, he sided with the merchant automatically, and put the ball on our side that we where at fault, in the end we won and cancel the cc.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 38 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@pats23 wrote:

Has anyone actually moved substantial assets from a bank because of lack of approval or request for a CC?? Must be people who do all there banking with a company then get denied a CC from that bank and then switch banks out of spite

And I did it with auto insurance, when my wife lost an appeal against a surcharge.    This was utterly pointless and petty, because:

a) this was in MA, where insurance is/was heavily regulated, and all companies had to charge the same (given history and policy limits) so when I switched I paid exactly the same.

b) the surcharge and appeal were handled by an MA state agency, and nothing to do with the insurance company, so to whatever extent, I was "punishing" them for something they had no control over.

but, at the time, it made me feel better, which is why I have sympathy with people doing the same with cc's today. 

Message 39 of 53
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@pats23 wrote:

And I did it with auto insurance, when my wife lost an appeal against a surcharge.    This was utterly pointless and petty, because:

a) this was in MA, where insurance is/was heavily regulated, and all companies had to charge the same (given history and policy limits) so when I switched I paid exactly the same.

b) the surcharge and appeal were handled by an MA state agency, and nothing to do with the insurance company, so to whatever extent, I was "punishing" them for something they had no control over.

but, at the time, it made me feel better, which is why I have sympathy with people doing the same with cc's today. 

Sometimes you just need to change. Many times a new company will treat you better than your years old company. Not sure why but america is full of that, old customers are just hearded while new customers are rewarded. I personally got to change car insurance every now and then cause once you are with a company for 1-2 years they start just lifting your premiun, while a new one will make it a lot cheaper.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.