Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three cards to rule them all

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Three cards to rule them all

So here's the challenge: you can only carry three credit cards in your wallet. Which?

For me it's a very practical question. I use a little business card holder for my wallet. I can fit five cards in it only. The five cards are my driver's license, health insurance, debit card, and two credit cards. Been debating scanning the insurance card into my phone as an image and carrying three credit credit cards.

But that's the limit.

So...... what three cards would give you maximum coverage on all your purchases, if you could only carry three? In terms of rewards.

For me the answer is:

CITI Double Cash MC: 2% everywhere

Costco Visa: 4% gas, 3% restaurants/travel, 2% Costco

Amex Blue Cash: 3% groceries other than Costco

Cheat 1: Amazon store card doesn't need to be in wallet

Cheat 2: If I travel I swap DC for BoA Travel, no foreign fee

Honestly I could cancel the rest of my cards and would if it would hurt my score 

BONUS QUESTION: If only two,? For me I'd sock drawer the Amex but it'd cost be 1% at grocery stores to do that.

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Three cards to rule them all

amex blue cash, nfcu nrewards, and my spark classic cap one, not really sure on this but I just like them at the moment

Message 2 of 55
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

Pnc cash builder, Amex bce, and domcu card
Last app 1/2/2017.
In the garden until at least 6/2/2017.
Message 3 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, NFCU Cash Rewards Signature Visa, Amex BCE and Discover as I'm still in the cash back match first year! However, I carry daily in my wallet the three mentioned already plus my Chase Amazon Signature Visa, PenFed and my NFCU debit card in case I need cash. I leave the Fairwinds Credit Union Cash Rewards Visa and CapOne Quicksilver in the SD. 

Message 4 of 55
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

These kinds of threads are fun but you need to set the rules and stand by them lol. You ask for 3, slide in 2 cheaters then only two and by the time everyone finishes, they are listing their 3 plus if this day had that and if i was buying this i would... you get my drift lol. KISS to this question:

1)Citi DC,, a mc accepted everywhere + 2% CB
2) BestBuy Visa Siggy, 10k limit in case of emergencies, accepted everywhere
3) Amex ED , to continue building relationship

Phew, tough question though lolSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 55
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Oh, just wanted to say AWESOME TITLESmiley Happy. I wish LOTR was around these daysSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 55
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So here's the challenge: you can only carry three credit cards in your wallet. Which?

For me it's a very practical question. I use a little business card holder for my wallet. I can fit five cards in it only. The five cards are my driver's license, health insurance, debit card, and two credit cards. Been debating scanning the insurance card into my phone as an image and carrying three credit credit cards.

But that's the limit.

So...... what three cards would give you maximum coverage on all your purchases, if you could only carry three? In terms of rewards.

For me the answer is:

CITI Double Cash MC: 2% everywhere

Costco Visa: 4% gas, 3% restaurants/travel, 2% Costco

Amex Blue Cash: 3% groceries other than Costco

Cheat 1: Amazon store card doesn't need to be in wallet

Cheat 2: If I travel I swap DC for BoA Travel, no foreign fee

Honestly I could cancel the rest of my cards and would if it would hurt my score 

BONUS QUESTION: If only two,? For me I'd sock drawer the Amex but it'd cost be 1% at grocery stores to do that.

My three:

USAA Limitless: 2.5% CB, no FTF

Costco Visa: For reasons mentioned

Hilton Honors Reserve: No FTF, Hilton Gold status (my preferred brand), free night after $10k spend every 12 months

I'd also put in Amazon Visa as my "cheat"

Message 7 of 55
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Don't even have CSR yet but I'm just going to say it before someone else does...

Chase Freedom

Chase Freedom Unlimited

Chase Sapphire Reserve

There...now I want to keep reading all these other unique combos people have (like has been posted above).

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 8 of 55
iced
Valued Contributor

I only have 3 cards so this was pretty easy.

- Chase Sapphire Reserve - dinng and travel

- Citi TY Premier - gas + MC in case Visa isn't accepted

- Chase MileagePlus Club - everything else

Message 9 of 55
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Three cards to rule them all you say?!

Well here's two that are definitely "Sauron approved" :

Credit One and First Premier!!

Two cards forged from the fires of Mount Doom! Two cards that shall rule them all!!

P.S.
Mods please don't punish me it's my first Smiley Happy
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.