cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threshold limit email for new Amex Platinum Card ...how common ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Threshold limit email for new Amex Platinum Card ...how common ?

@Andy77 wrote:

So I got my platimum card on 7/31.  Since getting it I have charged around 3500.00.  This morning I got this email:

Your account has no pre-set spending limit. Purchasing power adjusts with your use of the card and your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to us, and other factors.

The balance on your account is approaching a level where we may not be able to approve additional spending on your account. We would like to discuss your future spending needs and how we can meet them.

Please call us today at 1-800-230-1284 to discuss your account. A representative is available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

So, I called in and we talked for a long time, I said I had planned to spend 5k this month and the lady said the card would only allow me to add 400.00 more to it, with the annual fee, so capping my spend this month to around 4500.00.  So I decided to make a 1500.00 pamynet today.  After the payment she said I could charge 2k more bringing my spend cap to 4700.00 this month

I asked how long this threshold woud stick around and she said a few months, until they see the payment history and usage on the card, makes sense to me

Question:

How common is this email/situation with a brand new charge card with Amex ?

My credit backstory...(since they said outside credit is one of the factors that goes into them approving the charges)

EX 661, avail credit 61k, 26k in balances, income around 325k, bk discharged sept 2009

Something very similar happened to me and I posted it here

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Help-AmEx-Underwriting-Review/m-p/4579774

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well your overall util is 29.99%, and based on your income, that is actually not that bad.  I would hope that with time your limit will grow substantially.

I am also guessing your high income is why you have as much credit now as you do, but I would like to think that in the near future the BK would weigh less on your score depending on if you filed 7 or 13.

I would also hope that you can get some higher limit cards soon and continue to use them responsibly. 

I think it is great you got this card, and you should be in amex revolver territory very soon

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My PRG would only approve around 5k when I got it. After a few months averaging a bit over 1k in month with PIF, the site says it will approve at least 25k. I have less than half your income and scores in the low 700's.
I'm sure you will be able to spend well over 25k in short order.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.