Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time To App? Give me your 2¢...

tag
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

Time To App? Give me your 2¢...

First, a big thanks to all. These forums are amazing and have helped empower me as a savvier financial consumer.

I spent a good eight year period ignoring my financial life (no credit cards, let tax bills slide) but over the past year and a half have made a commitment to put this first and move forward, fast. I think I’m at the point where I can app for some cards and wanted to gather opinions.

Here’s my basic situation:

Equifax FICO (from MyFICO SW): 716
(All scores prob similar as recent pull of CRs all have exactly the same items)

Vantage (for what it's worth at CreditKarma): 820 

No lates on anything.
PIF always.
Utilization = 2% (always under 8%)

- Two current cards
   - Cap1 Secured, $1400 CL, Age = 13 months, has an AF (Sep)
   - Orchard Bank (Cap1), $200 CL, Age = 12 months, has an AF (Oct)

Closed card
   - BoA Secured, $1000 CL, Age = 123 months

Authorized user (on another’s card)
   - Chase Freedom, $25,100 CL, Age = 162 months

No other credit lines.

One baddie: State tax lien for $948 from 2003. Working to get this removed but will be on for a while.  UPDATE: This is unpaid.

I’m looking to graduate to the non-secured world of cards and am open to options. I’ve received current offers for...

Discover (pre-approval)
Chase Freedom (pre-selected)
Wal-Mart (pre-selected)

I do my banking at Chase (7+ years) where have +$20K in cash accounts all in good standing.
The Wal-Mart card is tempting for the free TU FICO (I’m an addict).
Considering Amazon as well as I shop there frequently.

Soooooooooooo...two main questions:

1) Which cards to apply for?
2) App strategy? Spree within a short time period to cut down on HPs showing up on CRs?

Thanks to all that have read - all opinions will be valuable to me. Looking forward to moving past this point and joining the Gardening Club!    Smiley Happy

Starting score: EQ FICO 8 702 (1/1/2012)
Current scores: EQ FICO 8: 763 / TU FICO 8: 760 / EX FICO 8: 765

Wallet: Chase Freedom 12K - Discover More 12K - Walmart 1K - Capital One MC 1K
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: Time To App? Gathering Opinion...

I would go with Chase Freedom and Amex (Green, Gold, PRG).

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 2 of 25
Hightechredneck
Frequent Contributor

Similar situation. My next step is NFCU. I did well with Wells Fargo and Cabelas.

Message 3 of 25
zyzzus
Established Contributor

With your deposit account relationship with Chase I see a VERY high probability of approval if not auto via recon.  I'd definitely stop by a branch it wouldn't surprise me if you had a pre-approval Smiley Happy

I have personally got two cards that get 2% cash back just to cover the bases where something isn't covered with my Freedom as its just 1.1% cash back.  IMO you may want to take a look at barclays priceline visa (be sure to see how the rewards structure works its a little involved) and also the Fidelity Rewards American Express.  Good luck Smiley Happy

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 4 of 25
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

Thanks armbenderc, obageegee and zyzzus!

I'll look into the Amex cards including the Fidelity Amex Rewards.  I have a bunch of money with Fidelity anyway so that makes sense.

I wish I could get into the NFCU.    Smiley Indifferent

A couple more days of research and then I'm going to app.  Will return with results.

Message 5 of 25
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Re: Time To App? Give me your 2¢...

Definately Chase Freedom you already have a relationship with them and it is a great cash back card.

Later you can go for the Trifecta and get the CSP if you want.

Amex Costco is a great card you can use it anywhere and they give large CL's

Discover More

Amex Zync NPSL 9/12, Amex CostcoTrue Earnings $10K 9/12
Amex BCE $3K 9/12 (Amex Back Dated to 1983)
Chase Sapphire Preferred $17K 11/12, Chase Freedom $7K 11/12
Discover More $750 11/12
CapitalOne Platinum Secured Card 2K 2/12 (Closed 12/12)
FICO: EQ = 804 EX = 802(Amex) TU = 801(Discover)
Message 6 of 25
HiLine
Blogger

I would apply for the More, Freedom, and probably an Amex, say the BCP. You can try the US Bank's Cash+ as well. Your history is very good and will probably allow you generous initial CL's on these cards. Once you've made up your mind about what cards you want, apply for them all at the same time to maximize your chance. Congratulations on the solid credit history and good luck with your applications!

Message 7 of 25
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

I would apply for the More, Freedom, and probably an Amex, say the BCP. You can try the US Bank's Cash+ as well. Your history is very good and will probably allow you generous initial CL's on these cards. Once you've made up your mind about what cards you want, apply for them all at the same time to maximize your chance. Congratulations on the solid credit history and good luck with your applications!

Hey OP and Welcome to the Forums!

Not to be argumentive at all, but I don't know if I'd app the US Bank Cash card.  Maybe the BCP/BCE.  Is taxLien paid or un paid?  If paid, some time ago (4-6 years) then you  probably will qualify for Amex revolver with your current payment history and score.  Still iffy though.  Probably have a better chance with a co-branded card like Delta.  Definitely for one of their Chrge Products.  Amex doesn't like taxliens.  Definitely the Freedom if you want it.  More is probably for sure thing too.  But I'd either get the Freedom or More, not both. All these recommendations are out the window if the tax lien is unpaid.   I'm assuming with 700+ score it's paid.  Save your apps for strategic cards you really want not settle for what you can get.  You're almost there with score! Smiley Happy. Go for 720+.  That's the general cut off from good credit to above average with most lenders, but remember...lenders like Amex - US Bank, score isn't everything.  Good luck with your app decision!  Look forward to reading about it! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 8 of 25
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

Mustangfrank - Chase seems like a lock to me too and will look into the trifecta down the road.  Thanks!

HiLine - Thanks for the kind words and strategy.

improvingmycredit - Thanks for the reasoned info and a spirited discussion is one of the things that makes this place great!  The info about the tax lien is important as it's unpaid.  (I don't owe it but it's on me to prove it - long story but I'm working my butt off to get it corrected)  I don't think it's hurting my score too badly as it pretty old but I could be wrong.

Is a 720 FICO really an important step for some CC companies?

Message 9 of 25
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'd go:
Freedom
Amex BCE
Aaannnnddd

Walmart!!!

Alll on the same day. Maybe throw an Amazon app in there... Your tax lien is soooo far away... Some creditors, like Citi...would prob deny you for that. You need to get some good unsecured cards in your portfolio :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.