Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time To Combine my Cards?

tag
simplesaver
Established Member

Time To Combine my Cards?

Hey y'all! I've been weighing the pros and cons of combining two of my cards and I wanted to tap into the forum hive mind to kind of tip the scales in one direction or the other. Here's my situation.

Credit Cards:

Capital One Secured Mastercard

CLOSED December 2015

Opened June 2014

Still contributes to my Age of Credit

Capital One Visa Venture Card
$10K CL
Opened November 2015

Has AF (I'm okay with this, I like my 2x miles!)
Due for next CLI in May

Capital One Platinum Mastercard
$2K CL

Opened November 2015
Has no rewards
I have been unable to qualify for a CLI on this card in the last two months due to lack of activity.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday

$4K CL
Opened November 2015

I use this for my transportation (Uber, Lyft, Bus Card, etc)

Discover It Card

$4500 CL

Opened June 2016
Has lowest APR, but I don't currently use it. I got this to make a big purchase (computer) with the 0% intro APR.

All of my cards report $0 except for my Venture and I pay in that full each month. Clearly, I have more cards than I need. I'd like to combine the Mastercard into my Venture, but I was really hoping to be able to get one last CLI out of that card to kind...double my next CLI on my Venture. But because I don't use the Mastercard enough, I haven't been able to qualify for that CLI. Should I try to use my card a bit more over the next month or two and attempt to get that CLI or should I just say, "Screw it!" and do it now?

My current scores are EQ 742, TU 750, EX 731.

(9/13/14) EX - 597 | TU - 581 | EQ - 587 ~~|~~ (11/23/15) EX 641 | TU 598 | EQ 604.

$500 | $1000 | $5000
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Time To Combine my Cards?

@simplesaver wrote:

Hey y'all! I've been weighing the pros and cons of combining two of my cards and I wanted to tap into the forum hive mind to kind of tip the scales in one direction or the other. Here's my situation.

Credit Cards:

Capital One Secured Mastercard

CLOSED December 2015

Opened June 2014

Still contributes to my Age of Credit

Capital One Visa Venture Card
$10K CL
Opened November 2015

Has AF (I'm okay with this, I like my 2x miles!)
Due for next CLI in May

Capital One Platinum Mastercard
$2K CL

Opened November 2015
Has no rewards
I have been unable to qualify for a CLI on this card in the last two months due to lack of activity.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday

$4K CL
Opened November 2015

I use this for my transportation (Uber, Lyft, Bus Card, etc)

Discover It Card

$4500 CL

Opened June 2016
Has lowest APR, but I don't currently use it. I got this to make a big purchase (computer) with the 0% intro APR.

All of my cards report $0 except for my Venture and I pay in that full each month. Clearly, I have more cards than I need. I'd like to combine the Mastercard into my Venture, but I was really hoping to be able to get one last CLI out of that card to kind...double my next CLI on my Venture. But because I don't use the Mastercard enough, I haven't been able to qualify for that CLI. Should I try to use my card a bit more over the next month or two and attempt to get that CLI or should I just say, "Screw it!" and do it now?

My current scores are EQ 742, TU 750, EX 731.

Just say "Screw it" and do it now.

Capital One has tightened up on CLI's in my opinion.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 10
elim
Senior Contributor

Do it

Message 3 of 10
Chris679
Established Contributor

I would PC the Platinum to Quicksilver. You keep the account history and QS is a very useful card.
Message 4 of 10
simplesaver
Established Member

How is it more useful than my Venture, AMEX, and Discover cards? What are its pros?

(9/13/14) EX - 597 | TU - 581 | EQ - 587 ~~|~~ (11/23/15) EX 641 | TU 598 | EQ 604.

$500 | $1000 | $5000
Message 5 of 10
tussking
Established Contributor

Cap 1 certainly has....All in the last 6-9 months.

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 6 of 10
Chris679
Established Contributor

Venture is a travel card, BCE and It are only 1% for non-categories. QS is 1.5% for everything.
Message 7 of 10
elim
Senior Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:
Venture is a travel card, BCE and It are only 1% for non-categories. QS is 1.5% for everything.

If you travel... and your spend is greater than 1k per month, Venture is a better return ($11,800 per year breaking point) than QS, otherwise consider QS.

Message 8 of 10
oldman425
Frequent Contributor

Just last night I combined my Cap1 Plat into my QS which now has a $8K limit.

12/27/16 - Eq683 TU666 Ex681 04/05/17 Eq742 TU763 Ex757
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As elim said, if you meet that spend goal per year, combine now. If not, PC one of them to a Quicksilver and then combine them together. I combined my cards together last week. Don't want to take a chance with Cap One and their combine "requirements" changing. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.