Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time and time again...

tag
adavis425
Established Contributor

Time and time again...

Hey all. Need some advice please.  I have been an AMEX customer for 11 years now. Started with green, now have gold. I have no lates, no missed payments, no negatives at all with them or anyone else.  Thirty-eight days ago I apped for BCP and CSP on the same day.  They both said no. I was declined  for a baddie that I thought had fallen off, but hadn't. Now it has so I apped for both again. CSP approved, but AMEX is still no  Smiley Sad.  Why will they allow me to pay over time on my gold card up to $35,000, but not give me a revolver???  This is frustrating.  I don't really feel like calling again for a recon only to be turned down.  How should I proceed? I guess I really need to call and find out exactly what it is that's bothering them. Who has gone through this with a CCC and how did you handle it? Thanks guys!

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Time and time again...

Are you currently revolving any balance on your Gold?

The only reason they give for the decline is the collection?

Message 2 of 24
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

Hey all. Need some advice please.  I have been an AMEX customer for 11 years now. Started with green, now have gold. I have no lates, no missed payments, no negatives at all with them or anyone else.  Thirty-eight days ago I apped for BCP and CSP on the same day.  They both said no. I was declined  for a baddie that I thought had fallen off, but hadn't. Now it has so I apped for both again. CSP approved, but AMEX is still no  Smiley Sad.  Why will they allow me to pay over time on my gold card up to $35,000, but not give me a revolver???  This is frustrating.  I don't really feel like calling again for a recon only to be turned down.  How should I proceed? I guess I really need to call and find out exactly what it is that's bothering them. Who has gone through this with a CCC and how did you handle it? Thanks guys!

Your sig shows your EX FICO as 719. They usually want a higher FICO for revolvers. What's your util? If you pay your util down to <9% on only one CC and zero on all others, you should see an increase in your FICO (assuming your current util is higher now).

Also, have you confirmed on your EX CR that the baddie is off?

The letter they send you should let you know their reasons for denial. Once you address whatever it is, you can re-app. I do know they are inq sensitive and don't like a lot of util.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 24
adavis425
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Are you currently revolving any balance on your Gold?

The only reason they give for the decline is the collection?

No, I'm not. I refuse to use that option. The first denial was the collection which is now gone. I'm not sure of reason(s) for the second one. The only thing I see on the CRs is 4 or 5 inqs, but they were for an auto loan. They are lumped together, right?

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 4 of 24
adavis425
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@adavis425 wrote:

Your sig shows your EX FICO as 719. They usually want a higher FICO for revolvers. What's your util? If you pay your util down to <9% on only one CC and zero on all others, you should see an increase in your FICO (assuming your current util is higher now).

The letter they send you should let you know their reasons for denial. Once you address whatever it is, you can re-app. I do know they are inq sensitive and don't like a lot of util.

Util is at 6% on one card. Yes, confirmed CR.

Message 5 of 24
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I think all you can do is wait to get the letter and see what it says. From what I've read here, they do like to see higher FICOs for their revolvers. If the issue on the letter is inq and they're for an auto loan, then at that point, I'd call and recon. They will only recon if the reasons in the letter have been addressed. You can't recon with them like some other CCs. But if the reason is your inq and you have a legit explanation, plus a long positive history with them, you should be able to recon. On the positive side, at least you're not getting dinged with inq for the apps.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I can't speak for Amex, but Chase frequently pulls EQ. If your EQ is 664 like it says on your sig, it might be too low for the CSP. It looks like you got it the second time around though. Do you know who Chase pulled, and if they pulled another bureau the 2nd time? That might explain the difference in your 1st and 2nd attempts. Amex virtually always pulls EX, so it has to be something with your EX report that Amex doesn't like.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 24
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

We're all really just speculating at this point. You need to look at your EX report now ( you can go ahead and pull a free copy since AMEX denied you ) and look at the denial letter ( you can go to the on~line application status website and read it without having to wait for snail mail )
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 24
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@adavis425 wrote:

When I applied for Clear in February of 2011, my FICO (per this web site) was around 690.  Approved with $2500 CL.  However, I was a former AMEX customer going back to 2000... but had burned them in a BK in 2002.  So... there's really no telling what they're looking for.

Message 9 of 24
boomhower
Valued Contributor

You can get the letter online, you don't have to wait for it in the mail.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.