Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time between Chase apps

tag
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Re: Time between Chase apps

Typically I've seen people wait 4-6 months between apps to be safe. I was told the last time I called Chase opening CC accounts in quick succession (and especially closing after attaining the bonus...don't do that) is a red flag.

Message 11 of 25
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

I can say that I was successful in getting approved for Freedom and Slate in two days following the pre-approved mailers I received. Even though I never qualified for them in their pre-qualifiy link.
CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 12 of 25
newUser0
Established Contributor

Chase was pretty generous with me. I applied 3 cards within 1 month. Freedom was my start, after a month Applied for United and CSP. All approved

Message 13 of 25
noobody
Established Contributor

During chase promotion last November, my friend applied and approved for CSP and freedom back to back within 15 minutes, got exactly same 10.x K CL, and total 75K UR points. I do not know how many HP she got hit through. Might be 1?
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 14 of 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@sds14 wrote:

I know this subject has been beat to death

It's subjective.  There's no fixed timeframe that works for everyone.  I apped and was instantly approved for 2 Chase cards within a day of each other.  3rd was opened about 4 months later.  4th was opened 3 months later.  YMMV with your credit.  It's not just about time itself.   6 months is just stated as a generic rule of thumb.

@sds14 wrote:

Is it typical for Chase to send out offers like this right after you receive one of their others cards?

Not uncommon but there's no causal relationship.  Offers are always just marketing.

@sds14 wrote:

If they are sending me these offers this soon do you think I will be good to app in May or June for the Hyatt card? 

No telling.  Again, offers are just marketing.  While they can be a better indicator than getting no offers an offer or even a preapproval doesn't guarantee an approval.

Message 15 of 25
bfranklin825
Valued Member

My experience with Chase has been this:

I have had the Slate card for around 5 years, opened with a $400 CL and that's where it stayed until this past year - never used it. This year I started to get into points chasing as decided to open a bunch of new cards for the bonuses (can do this now because my credit is good - finally). I started with the Amazon card - applied through Amazon to get the $50 gift card offer, and was approved with a 5k limit. I then went after the Marriot Rewards Premier, my preffered brand, and was approved for 15k. This was less than a month (I think) after I got the Amazon - might have been right after I got approved for the Amazon.

Then I kinda of stopped with Chase. I had received a number of other cards from AMEX and other companies and was starting to get denials, including one from Chase - so I figured my app spree was over. This was around Nov/Dec. Just a few weeks ago I applied for a Ink Bold (I have been jealous of the 5X points category) and got the "We'll get back to you" message. I thought it was a sure-fire denial, but to my surprise the card arrived in the mail just last week. I was shocked to get it, to say the least.

So thinking the Bold was a shot in the dark that only worked because of a miracle, I didn't make any plans on getting any more cards in the near future - my credit report needs the rest... but then those sneaky bastards at IHG rewards sent me an email with a 60k point bonus Chase IHG Rewards Club Select card offer! I'm a sucker for an invite with an invitation code, so I went ahead and applied. I figured that there was absolutely NO WAY I'd get approved - I just got the Bold in the mail a few days previously. But for some reason, I don't know why, but they approved me for 8k!

So now I have 5 Chase cards, 4 of them in the past 5 months. Went from a $400 CL with them to $28,800 over 4 cards (Bold has NPSL).

My bonuses for these cards:

70k Marriot Points - best offer!

60k IHG points

50k Ultimate Rewards

$50 Amazon gift card - worst offer!

Starting Score: 667
Current Score: 719
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 25
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I applied for the United card and the CSP 2 days later - approved for both (after recon)

Edited to add:  I do not bank with Chase

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 25
bfranklin825
Valued Member

Does anyone knowi if your relationship with Chase - your current card's credit limits and usage - has any weight with getting a new card, or is it just straight credit score that determines that?

Message 18 of 25
Longroad
Established Contributor

@bfranklin825 wrote:

Does anyone knowi if your relationship with Chase - your current card's credit limits and usage - has any weight with getting a new card, or is it just straight credit score that determines that?

Definitely your current cards usage. I had to recon my Marriott card and the lady mentioned my usage and performance on my SWA card as a positive for,the approval. And I have no other relationship with Chase besides the 2 cards 

Message 19 of 25
bfranklin825
Valued Member

Its really odd though, cause I tried for an SWA card and got denied - after having gotten the Marriot and Amazon not that long before - and they turned me down (too many apps to close together). This was about maybe (over?) a month ago. I just apped for the IHG two days ago and was approved  - I'm not sure I get their logic.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.