Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for Credit hunting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time for Credit hunting

Scorewatch is telling me my FICO is tanked because of LOTS of lates and I assume a med collection and Verizon C/o.  The FAKOS are going up about everyday though...at least it is a trend. 

I only have the EQ FICO.

Well, that settles it.  Let the NFCU Visa report.  Transfer my major finances to NFCU get a couple CD's.  I have a large purchase to make, so I will just do a secured loan instead of cash, apply for the NFCU MC and NavChek and hold for the rest of the year.

Thanks for the advice!

Message 11 of 32
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sounds good! I'd hold off additional apps until my most recent late was over 12 months old, preferably over 24 months old.

Good luck!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

All lates over 12 months, early '08 was my last ones...Might hold off even longer, no new accounts for 6 mos before a mortgage right?  Might need another though for score points.  Cross that bridge then.

That is the plan then.

Thanks all!

Message 13 of 32
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The whole point was to get advice from experience.  Do I need anything to increase scores besides Navy?  Should I consider the NFCU MC and NavChek and call it a day?  I haven't used credit in over 2 years and have a 0% DTI, I make enough I don't need it, but I do need a good interest rate when I buy a home.  If the 8k extends to next june...I want to buy then (not eligible until March) and 700 fico is my goal.

No offense taken.  No fee cards...I have NFCU, no worries. Just want to get the right mix the first time.

Would love to hear more.

Message Edited by moemeadors on 07-28-2009 03:04 AM

I would probably try for one of these and then either a store card or gas card.

Then, simply use them all every month, and pay them off. You might want to leave a small balance on one of the NFCU cards.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 14 of 32
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

I forgot the Med collection. might want to pay that off IF they will delete. Ask in the "rebuilding" forum.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live abroad, so I'm SOL on a gas card, but would love a Macy's, Kohls or Cabelas for online purchases...gonna wait until I am tapped out with NFCU though.  Maybe the first of the year.
Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Med collections are dropping like flies...both off of TU (now clean), waiting on the others (all are disputed now) still in the "pre-HIPAA" process.  Looking good so far.
Message 17 of 32
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Scorewatch is telling me my FICO is tanked because of LOTS of lates and I assume a med collection and Verizon C/o.  The FAKOS are going up about everyday though...at least it is a trend. 

I only have the EQ FICO.

Well, that settles it.  Let the NFCU Visa report.  Transfer my major finances to NFCU get a couple CD's.  I have a large purchase to make, so I will just do a secured loan instead of cash, apply for the NFCU MC and NavChek and hold for the rest of the year.

Thanks for the advice!

Changes in FAKO scores are unreliable even as a barometer. SW is the real deal. (Sorry!) When you see SW heading up you are getting somewhere. If you want a store card I would go with Macys and after a while. Kohl's is nice to have, but I would leave that for a later round.

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understand the FAKO's, but, I do have SW and it is trending up too.  15 points in a month...I don't pay much attention to the TC numbers, just validates stuff coming off the other reports.  Which is cool.

I was looking at the Kohl's numbers...got a way to go there.  Would like Nordstrom too.  Farther to go there... Hey I am patient and not like I can run to the mall and go apping.  Would be cool to have a Japanese AMEX though....

Message 19 of 32
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

@WannaHouse wrote:
I forgot the Med collection. might want to pay that off IF they will delete. Ask in the "rebuilding" forum.

Almost a guarantee if you do it right IMO

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.