Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to Close AmEx Hilton Card?

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Time to Close AmEx Hilton Card?

With the cards I already have, I've not used the AmEx Hilton card for a long time.  I'm thinking of closing it, so I can apply for other AmEx revolver card.

My only hesitation is that, this card is 11 years old and is my oldest AmEx card.  I know if I close it, it will continue to age for several years, up to 10 years.  So the impact on the AAoA is limited.  And I can still keep and wait and see.

What do you think?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Time to Close AmEx Hilton Card?

Rumor has it Amex has relaxed its limit on number of revolvers.  You may want to try the app before dropping the other card.

Message 2 of 13
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Rumor has it Amex has relaxed its limit on number of revolvers.  You may want to try the app before dropping the other card.

When I last chatted with AmEx, I was told there is no limit of the # of cards.  It depends on the credit profile and relationship with AmEx.  So this is new?

There are quite some postings on the # of max AmEx resolvers, such as a limit of 4 etc....

Message 3 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Some people have been able to get a 5th revolver it just seems AMEX may be pickier on who to give them to.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/02/14/five-amex-credit-card-limit/

Personally, if your credit profile supports it I'd bite the bullet and app for what you want. Then if successful transfer the majority of your limit from the Hilton to the card of your choice. With no AF no need to close the Honors unless that's the only way AMEX would let you have another revolver. Then recon and tell them you're willing to close the Hilton to get it.

Message 4 of 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

For a while, word around the campfire was that Amex limited you to 4 revolvers.  That has been debunked recently, though.  It's possible that what you heard from Amex was the latest policy.

If you app, it'll almost surely be a SP anyway, so it may not hurt to give it a shot.

Message 5 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

5 revolvers. unlimited amt of charge cards

Message 6 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Agreed, since it's a SP anyways it doesn't hurt to try. And if denied then you can think on it before deciding if getting another card is worth closing out the Hilton.

Message 7 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

Agreed, since it's a SP anyways it doesn't hurt to try. And if denied then you can think on it before deciding if getting another card is worth closing out the Hilton.

+1  Also, they have changed the rules yet again recently.  It was 4 revolvers, then 5, now there is officially no maximum number of revolvers you can have as long as your profile supports it and underwriting is willing to grant you the credit.

Message 8 of 13
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

If it does not have AF, there would be no point to close it....

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 9 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

+1  Also, they have changed the rules yet again recently.  It was 4 revolvers, then 5, now there is officially no maximum number of revolvers you can have as long as your profile supports it and underwriting is willing to grant you the credit.

Really when did this happen?  Didn't know you could go beyond 5?  Any link as I have not read this and always thought I was pretty up-to-date on Amex policies, but obviously not.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.