Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to Close Zync, and best card to pair with BCE

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Time to Close Zync, and best card to pair with BCE

Hi everyone,

As per my last thread, I've been approved for Blue Cash Everyday, the American Express card that I've really wanted all this time.

Should I cash out my 8,700 points and call it quits, I will never use the Zync again once the BCE is in my hands...

And what card is best to pair with BCE?  I've been thinking my Freedom card, anyone have any thoughts?

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

Re: Time to Close Zync, and best card to pair with BCE

Seeing as the Zync has a $25 AF (or more), I would probably get rid of it.   Then again, if it will cause a significant decrease in your AAoA, or if it is your oldest account it might pull your score down a bit.

Personally, knowing I wouldn't use it I'd still get rid of it because of the AF.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 2 of 13
smc733
Valued Contributor

@bobebob wrote:

Seeing as the Zync has a $25 AF (or more), I would probably get rid of it.   Then again, if it will cause a significant decrease in your AAoA, or if it is your oldest account it might pull your score down a bit.

Personally, knowing I wouldn't use it I'd still get rid of it because of the AF.

Its actually my youngest account, next to BCE.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 13
Guava
Established Contributor

If cashback is your game, my vote is for Chase Freedom. Congrats on the BCE approval! 

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 13
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@bobebob wrote:

I'd definitely cash in the points and scrap it before the AF then.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bobebob wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

@bobebob wrote:

I'd definitely cash in the points and scrap it before the AF then.

+1

I think the Freedom card makes for a good pairing. Can't beat the 5% rotating catagories.

Message 6 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@bobebob wrote:

Closed accounts still factor into your AAoA. Longest history, too, if it's your oldest.

As long as an account shows on your reports, whether open or closed, it's counted for history.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@smc733 wrote:

Hi everyone,

As per my last thread, I've been approved for Blue Cash Everyday, the American Express card that I've really wanted all this time.

Should I cash out my 8,700 points and call it quits, I will never use the Zync again once the BCE is in my hands...

And what card is best to pair with BCE?  I've been thinking my Freedom card, anyone have any thoughts?

No need to close it until AF time rolls around again.

Just curious --when you look at the rewards options, would you do better to keep using it until you hit 10,000, or can you redeem the 8,700 for the same exchange?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 13
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

funny, just happened to be my current wallet rotation preference. in fact these are the two cards i have provided for my AU. (he has wells fargo too, but has just exchanged this for his very own household bank mastercard.)

smc733, i would do what hauling suggested; wait till just prior to your annual date, then close. but if i was you, i would call in to ask if they would be willing to waive the af. i don't know, but if i was you, this would be the very one exception to holding on to a card with an annual fee. amex is such a great account to have on your credit profile. it just might be worth it to hold on to it. see if you can opt to have the revolving options.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freedom for sure.  I'm going to be apping for the BCE soon (already have Freedom).  Hopefully I'll get approved Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.