cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to bring Discover It off the bench!

tag
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

Time to bring Discover It off the bench!

Since the Cash+ restaurants category was nerfed, I've been getting a paltry 2% back on my unreasonably high eating out expenses. It will be nice to get 5% cash back for 3 months!
Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
medo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Time to bring Discover It off the bench!

Yep.  I also have a Freedom card so the catagory clashes with it.  I wish they did not clash since it makes more sense to redeem the 5% back in form of UR points.

Message 2 of 55
baller4life
Super Contributor

Bench warmers need some playing time too!,Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 55
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@yellowcake wrote:
Since the Cash+ restaurants category was nerfed, I've been getting a paltry 2% back on my unreasonably high eating out expenses. It will be nice to get 5% cash back for 3 months!

I, too, am excited to use my Discover more often. They have been great to me lately, so it'll be good to show them some usage in return. 

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 4 of 55
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@yellowcake wrote:

I, too, am excited to use my Discover more often. They have been great to me lately, so it'll be good to show them some usage in return. 

But usage in 5% categories probably isn't profitable for them!

Message 5 of 55
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@yellowcake wrote:

Shh Smiley Wink 

I always wondered about that. For example, when Chase offers Kohl's as part of the 5% explicitly, do Kohl's and Chase split the cost, effectively negating the loss that I'm sure the company takes on say, "grocery stores"?

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 6 of 55
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@yellowcake wrote:

Shh Smiley Wink 

I always wondered about that. For example, when Chase offers Kohl's as part of the 5% explicitly, do Kohl's and Chase split the cost, effectively negating the loss that I'm sure the company takes on say, "grocery stores"?

Yes, I've assumed that a named merchant pays something for the increased traffic, unlike the generic categoies.     But my guess is that the ccs find that most people use their cards for both bonus and non-bonus categories, alllowing enough profit along with interest charges, and only the dedicated/smart/hasn't-got-a-life (delete those inapplicable) crowd optimize usage.

Message 7 of 55
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@yellowcake wrote:

Shh Smiley Wink 

Yes, I've assumed that a named merchant pays something for the increased traffic, unlike the generic categoies.     But my guess is that the ccs find that most people use their cards for both bonus and non-bonus categories, alllowing enough profit along with interest charges, and only the dedicated/smart/hasn't-got-a-life (delete those inapplicable) crowd optimize usage.

Yeah, it's essentially written off as a marketing cost (I'd assume) by those named stores. And absolutely - the people on this forum are certainly not the typical credit card holder!

Message 8 of 55
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

I agree.  I think they count on those holders who will pay interest and that will more than offset the 5%

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 9 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

oooh i forgot about restaurant category this quater! arrival's going to relax in my wallet for a while... but I wonder if starbucks counts as restaurant as well Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.