cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to bring Discover It off the bench!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time to bring Discover It off the bench!

When it comes to lenders I like like Discover, it makes me feel a little bad to only swipe when I get optimal cash back. I feel like I've got to be a loss for them overall.

Business is business though, and I'm sure more people seeing people use the card is good for them in the long run as well.

Plus if they're actually bleeding too much I'm sure any lender would pull a Cash+ and nerf a little bit to get back into the black.
Message 11 of 55
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Gonna use the Freedom instead! Smiley Very Happy
Message 12 of 55
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

Heresy!

Throw water at Kenny, does he melt?!?

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 13 of 55
onstar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
When it comes to lenders I like like Discover, it makes me feel a little bad to only swipe when I get optimal cash back. I feel like I've got to be a loss for them overall.

Business is business though, and I'm sure more people seeing people use the card is good for them in the long run as well.

Plus if they're actually bleeding too much I'm sure any lender would pull a Cash+ and nerf a little bit to get back into the black.

I put all my gas purchases through Discover this quarter. It was less than $50/month though because I take the train to work. But that worked out just fine since 1Q was gas and ground transportation. I bought my Metrolink monthly passes with Discover. It's $300 a month, so I got $15 back each month. I could have used this for 4 months, but I didn't realize this until halfway through January so I didn't use D for that month, but I bought the April pass yesterday, so a total of $45 back. Oh, and I get full reimbursement from my company.

BTW, last billing cycle, I also put about $10 in non-5% category puchase in two separate purchases. Just in case their algorithm flags accounts that ONLY use the card for 5% categories.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 14 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

Heresy!

Throw water at Kenny, does he melt?!?

Message 15 of 55
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

I'm also dusting off my It card and looking forward to using it next quarter.  And I like how there are rival threads going (It vs Freedom)!

Message 16 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made sure I gassed up all the cars tonight.  Getting my last 5% on gas.  Starting tomorrow, it's food time!

Message 17 of 55
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

Discover 5% Cashback on Restaurants and Movies! I'm excited, are you?!

I've only had my Discover card about a month or so and I enjoyed the cashback on gas, but I am super stoked about the Restaurant and Movies for April through June!

Is anyone else as excited as I am? Lol!

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Goal Scores: 760 across the board
Message 18 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover 5% Cashback on Restaurants and Movies! I'm excited, are you?!

I don't go out to eat as often as I used too but I will be taking advantage of it this quarter. Sure wish I had this card last year before I bought my house. I ate out 3 times a week!
Message 19 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover 5% Cashback on Restaurants and Movies! I'm excited, are you?!

Two places I haven't spent money in over a decade. Discover and Freedom will be gathering dust for a few months.

Message 20 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.