Re: Time to close cards

Remaining credit lines will be $63K.

Message 21 of 27
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

smart move!  what kind of limits do the cards have you are letting go and what will your remaining total available look like when you are done?  funny, I have your 6K chase, you are keeping cards from solid lenders, very nice.  you scores are exactly where I want to be, you have done a great job with your profile

Thanks!

Discover was $3,500

Marvel was $10K

Barclay was 6K

Diamond Perferred was $1,500

Dentalfirst was $6,900

lol was? did you already do this?  a tad over 60K in credit is perfect imo

Message 22 of 27
driftless
Valued Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

smart move!  what kind of limits do the cards have you are letting go and what will your remaining total available look like when you are done?  funny, I have your 6K chase, you are keeping cards from solid lenders, very nice.  you scores are exactly where I want to be, you have done a great job with your profile

Thanks!

Discover was $3,500

Marvel was $10K

Barclay was 6K

Diamond Perferred was $1,500

Dentalfirst was $6,900

lol was? did you already do this?  a tad over 60K in credit is perfect imo

Yes, 60K is a nice amount of credit, not too much, not too little.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 23 of 27
redpat
Senior Contributor

If you sig is more than one line, you probally have too many cards, IMO of course.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 24 of 27
nrm
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just don't use or have any need or want for the ones I'm going to close. Nice cards, but I have too many and I don't want any AA. I can't use them all if I try and I'm tired of getting stressed out trying to rotate or put spend on them. All have ZERO Balances.

Barclay Cashforward

Discover

Marvel

Amex

Citi

Comenity Dentalfirst

Going to Keep and gives me over 60K in available Credit. I don't carry balances past 10% MAX.

Venture

Venture One

Chase

Penfed Promise

Penfed PLOC

DCU VISA

As long as you find comfort and convenience in the cards of you choice, you go ahead and enjoy them. Congrats on your stress loosening!

Message 25 of 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

More, more, bigger, bigger and another just one MORE but the bottom line is one can only spend much, eat so much and do so much in life.

If the OP (like myself) wants to use /value his/her time & efforts on things other than CC collections more power to em and there isn't any big loss in doing so.

One can qualify for the best terms when applying for cars,homds etc without a Rolodex of CC accounts.

These three lines are the best part of your post IMO. There's a finite limit to what you can (and should) spend each month, and hopefully, that doesn't increase when you add more and more specialty cards. So because the total hasn't (hopefully) gone up, the spend is now divided amongst more accounts, so the rewards are scattered. You reach a plateau. Unfortunately, subconciously or not, that "special" card for xyz category probably does make some people spend more, which quickly wipes out any small gain they're recieving. And what about the unnecessary spend to keep accounts active? All these little things add up, and can rapidly exceed the extra 1% in rewards on xyz.

The time vs effort thing is a salient point as well. We can spend hours obsessing over opening cards to gain maybe $100 a year. When you break it down, it's pretty much peanuts. People feel bad for using "the wrong card" for transactions yet as you said there is no big loss.

There is also, as your last line states, a diminishing return with positive accounts. It's important to have a few tradelines in good standing to qualify for good rates, but people tend to extrapolate "a few" into wanting a card from every bank, every network, etc. It can become a collector's sort of thing. No harm in it of course, if that's what you want to do, but it's not necessary from a credit score/history POV.

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the backup @kdm
Great to see more ppl waking up....once our culture (lead by marketing) deems an activity or obtainment something to CHASE the 'cool' factor takes over and we're off to the races.

The problem is we don't do a great job with balance on anything, all our culture TRAINS is bigger and more of...... whatever MUST be the thing to do.

Get a nice house...ok how to go Bigger
Boob job....How BIG can we go 😉
CCs how many can we get
Rewards must chase all

It's to the point where the public can quote the ad that TOLD/sold them on WHY they NEED this 'desinger' CC in their wallets.

As if they are freaking accountants... it's laughably SAD how ppl who really have No Clue, how the actually run debits and credits on a balance sheet..will swear before God and 3 more church ppl WHY it's so imperative to have (file in the blank card...not just the bank mind you but the actual marketing name for THAT particular product) letting you know the PIMP Hand of the marketing department is doing a great job of brainwashing.... again most of these ppl are foggy on the numbers

But who needs details, the ad says...+ it's what EVERYONE says and does...

Ya know EVERYONE... don't you?
The same general public, where many wind up broke, struggling and wondering!

* But they made an extra half of a %, right?

Don't get me wrong I will take my cash-back with the best of them, but again how much am I going to adjust my life over whether it's 1.5% vs 2%?

Yeah, yeah I know IF ....we run the numbers over a few million it makes a huge difference, agreed but guess what?
Most of us aren't freaking WalMart so our spending makes that crap cute at best...

Will a infinite amount of ppl, use their airline miles to fly to Italy... yeah, yeah but the vast majority are flying to freaking regular ole Cleveland or Pittsburgh or some ish

Most ppl WORK where they live and don't fly all over creation on the monthly basis but it sure sounds nice on the ads, to sale da dream....when you know darn well, for the most part your as flies to Flint, Mi to visit family more often then you'd practically fly to Rome.

Smh
Average person NEEDING 20 freaking current CCs is a freaking joke... yeah , yeah I know about every 3rd schmuck being the exception, who does frequently fly to Dubai in connection to that DMV job ya got, sure!
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.